Steam Summer Sale 2014

Started by DoorKnobHandle, Thu 19/06/2014 18:44:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghost

Quote from: Ghost on Thu 19/06/2014 21:45:37
I'll sit this one out though because my backlog is killing me.

Quote from: DoorKnobHandle on Sat 21/06/2014 02:03:04
I picked up Shadowrun Returns for next to nothing just now in the Flash sale!

You know, you're making this very, very hard for me, sir. :P

DoorKnobHandle

Quote from: Ghost on Sat 21/06/2014 06:11:28
Quote from: Ghost on Thu 19/06/2014 21:45:37
I'll sit this one out though because my backlog is killing me.

Quote from: DoorKnobHandle on Sat 21/06/2014 02:03:04
I picked up Shadowrun Returns for next to nothing just now in the Flash sale!

You know, you're making this very, very hard for me, sir. :P

Steam says you already have it? :)

Well apart from that, I'm still really super disappointed in the sale so far. These are really the same deals we had one whole year ago with the Summer sale 2013. I expected there to be a bit of a change.

Ghost

Quote from: DoorKnobHandle on Sun 22/06/2014 19:19:54
Steam says you already have it? :)

The beauty of Steam Gifts (laugh) - you can sit there adamantly ignoring the Sale, and not even having any SteamPoints... and games can still manifest.
Shadowrun Returns is a retrofest!

These are really the same deals we had one whole year ago with the Summer sale 2013. I expected there to be a bit of a change.
Well, I think that's because Sales are now such a common feature of the service. There is always something on sale. It's safe to say that you are not doing yourself a favour if you ever buy a game there at full price. Sooner or later there will be "usual suspects" and this is happening now.

DoorKnobHandle

Quote from: Ghost on Tue 24/06/2014 10:02:45
These are really the same deals we had one whole year ago with the Summer sale 2013. I expected there to be a bit of a change.
Well, I think that's because Sales are now such a common feature of the service. There is always something on sale. It's safe to say that you are not doing yourself a favour if you ever buy a game there at full price. Sooner or later there will be "usual suspects" and this is happening now.

Hm I guess.

I did just get Guacamelee, it was in the flash sale. I've seen a bit of gameplay and it looked fun and interesting.

Babar

Does anyone have any suggestions for a non-indie game less than 3-4 years old that I should be on the lookout for to spend my $12 steam credit?

I already have played Batman: Arkham Asylum & City, Bioshock Infinite, Borderlands 1 & 2, all the Civs, Dragon Age: Origins, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Dishonoured, Fallout 3 & New Vegas, Just Cause 2, Kingdom's of Amalur: Reckoning, Mass Effect 1 & 3, all 3 Max Paynes, Saints Row 3, Sleeping Dogs, Skyrim, Thief 4 (blekh) and XCOM Enemy Unknown.

I was thinking Far Cry 3, but the uplay worried me. I was also thinking Tomb Raider, but I hear that despite good story and archering, it is quite an on-the-rails lead-by-the-nose experience, which is probably something I'd find intensely annoying. Maybe Saints Row 4? Or does someone have some better options?
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Ghost

DoorKnobHandle

I have heard many good things about Tomb Raider overall, I would go with that. Far Cry 3 is also very good and I haven't heard of any big issues with UPlay on that title from other PC gamers. I would definitely pick between those two titles if I were you, I don't think Saints Row 4 was much of a good game at all, it suffered from a number of gameplay issues.

Today I picked up Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, even though I've already seen a complete playthrough of the game, it really is excellent, so I wanted to own it and play it myself. Was 2.50 Euros so really good deal in my opinion, 80% off.

Anian

I'm currenty playing Arkahm Origins (Gotham knight trailers amde me want to finish up before that game comes out). If you like Arkham City, Origins is basically the same game except there's snow and less stuff is destroyed in the city, think of it as a big DLC for Arkham city.

Splinter cell: Blacklist is not bad, they fixed some things from Conviction, though multiplayer is very tricky get working, but when it works it's awesome.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Babar

Torchlight 2 is indie! Even with the DRM, it'll show up on Humble eventually! :D

If you say SR4 wasn't so great, I might go with Far Cry 3 instead, but uplay really does worry me :D. Wasn't it exposed that it had some rootkit installed when you installed it?

Anian, I liked Asylum, and some might've considered it short, but City got a bit too spread out and boring for me. And I guess I should look out for Splinter Cell, but I heard the older ones are miles better as a stealth action game than Blacklist and Conviction?

Anian

I've played only Chaos theory of the "older ones" and the main difference is that the older ones are pure stealth, while these (especially Blacklist) are more "choose your approach" (although stealth is still safer).
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Eric

I encourage all to purchase Kentucky Route Zero. Lovely game.

DoorKnobHandle

Just picked up Super Amazing Wagon Adventure because I liked the look of it. Here's hoping it's really super amazing! :)

arj0n

Quote from: Eric on Tue 24/06/2014 22:57:42
I encourage all to purchase Kentucky Route Zero. Lovely game.
Never heard of it before, looks promising. Thanx for the tip, just bought it. :-)

Quote from: DoorKnobHandle on Wed 25/06/2014 16:59:17
Just picked up Super Amazing Wagon Adventure because I liked the look of it. Here's hoping it's really super amazing! :)
Already had that one. Vintage retro, what else do I need :-D

Some nice games in the sale you might wanna check out:

Qbeh-1: The Atlas Cube     (awesome (1st-person perspective) 3d puzzler, Unity engine)
Oniken     (retro action platformer sidescroller,  8-bit graphic style, Multimedia Fusion engine)
Hector: Badge of Carnage - Full Series     (adventure, custom engine)
Chuck's Challenge 3D     (funny puzzler, Unity engine)
Bastion    (isometric action game with a little bit RPG elements, custom engine)

DoorKnobHandle

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive was 75% off last year at the summer sale (where I got it). This year it's 50% off (and it's a daily deal so it's not going to get any cheaper)...

Babar

Finally bought something after all that ruminating. And it was Prototype for $4.99! I heard it was good, it has no annoying extra DRM issues, and now I still have $7 credit left for something else!

Galen

Quote from: Babar on Tue 24/06/2014 21:27:05
If you say SR4 wasn't so great, I might go with Far Cry 3 instead, but uplay really does worry me :D. Wasn't it exposed that it had some rootkit installed when you installed it?

Was that not either Securom or perhaps Origin scanning the programs list?

UPlay for all it doesn't need to exist in a Steam game is pretty transparent and has never really bothered me (although that doesn't mean others haven't had legitimate issues). Steam'll boot it up, and when you launch a new game you'll inevitably have to update the client... but other than that it's never really gotten in the way. Kind of like if GFWL wasn't built by monkies and actually functioned correctly and quickly.

LimpingFish

NOTICE:

Although the Steam Summer Sale is quoted as running from "JUNE 19-30", TODAY (SUNDAY THE 29TH) is the last day that sale prices will be available! People have grumbled about this in the past; expecting sale prices to still be running on the 30th, only to find the sale already over.

Don't be a grumbler! Anything you have ear-marked, make sure and buy it today!

That is all.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Ghost

Then I have made it through a SteamSale without buying anything*! Awesomeness!
If I maintain that level of discipline** I will soon be able to enter a shop that sells Magic*** cards again!

__
* But still with one long-wishlisted game thanks to Tabby :)
** Also general no-money-ness.
*** The Gathering. You know. Rectangular cardboard-crack.

Mati256

I bought all the Mount and Blade, and I am addicted. :-D
Also, just like Metro 2033, a nice way to find a new book to read, "With Fire and Sword".
My Blog! (En Español)

Fitz

Quote from: Mati256 on Sun 29/06/2014 03:26:59
I bought all the Mount and Blade, and I am addicted. :-D
Also, just like Metro 2033, a nice way to find a new book to read, "With Fire and Sword".

You mean the Sienkiewicz one? I read that one in high school (obligatory reading). The movie's a classic, too. Another book/game connection you might like is The Witcher.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk