problems with my "company" name

Started by Mouth for war, Thu 19/06/2014 21:15:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Mouth for war

Ok so I tried to register my name, Victory Creek Productions...it's a wordplay with my last name Segerbäck. in Swedish, 'seger' means victory and 'bäck' means creek(Not sure how that will show up on everyone's screen but the 'a' in bäck is with 2 dots over it)I was denied because apparently, Victory Games exist and so does Victory television. Do I have to change in my games now "Victory creek productions presents" to something completely different or should I just keep going with it without a registered name? Are there any potential problems I'm looking at if I keep using Victory creek productions because of those other 2 companies?
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Tabata

How about if you'd try 'VictoryCreek Productions'?  (roll)

Ghost

I remember that I changed my "company name" before I entered these very forums (from Ram Ghost to Lost Craft) because I was really really paranoid about using an existing name.

But in truth, as long as you just want a nice handle for your decidedly retro freeware games, I'd rather use one you feel good about as long as you don't clash with any "biggies".

If you actually want that name registered, there are certain procedures a lawyer can perform for you to check if such a clash would happen. Stuff like "Microsoft Pepsi Sony Games" will cause a lot of trouble, but a company that's more or less based on your NAME... I'm pretty sure names can't be copyrighted as long as they're not synonymous to a character (Like Super "Mario". Only the plumber guy Mario is copyrighted, not the name Mario itself.)

If you want to play it safe, why not use the actual Swedish? SegerBäck sounds kinda nifty.

arj0n

You can use synonyms:
Victory Brook Productions
Victory Stream Productions
Triumph Creek Productions

Or Latin versions:
Victoria Aestuarium Productions
Victoria Rivus Productions

And like Tabby said:
Your name consist of 2 word together, so that would make indeed 'VictoryCreek'... :)

But, like Ghost said, SegerBäck (or SegerBack to avoid font trouble) sounds pretty good (and !unique!) to me too
If you want to play it safe, why not use the actual Swedish? SegerBäck sounds kinda nifty.

Stupot

Speaking as a non-Swede, SegerBäck seems like a cool company name.

Cassiebsg

I'm a little puzzled about being possible to register a dictionary word like Victory...  :shocked: :confused:

I can understand Microsoft, Sonny, Pepsi, etc... as they aren't dictionary words... just like "Super" and "Mario" aren't registered, but "Super Mario" is...

Can already see the problems that would cause "Weak Mario" or "Super Mikey"... rofl

PS. I also like SegerBäck.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mouth for war

The problem is with the keyword "Victory" i was told in a letter. I never thought of using my actual name...actually...hehe...Maybe "Segerbäck game studios" or something then. You all seem to like that name anyway, but damn it i really liked Victory Creek ha ha :D Thanks for your answers!I have a little noodle scratching to do now!!!

arj0n

What about 'Troublemaker Studios'

:-D

Mouth for war

straydogstrut

Not to derail the topic but how does registering a name work (in the UK)? Do you have to register a company (sole trader for example) and be selling something or is it possible to claim/protect a name for freeware products? Is this separate to trademarking a name?

My two cents: "Segerbäck Studios" :wink:

Mouth for war

I was actually wondering the same thing straydogstrut. I don't know how that works...Haha is my last name really that awesome?!? :D

Wyz

I'll throw in an old english variant just for fun: Sigebeck ;-D
I can do a Dutch one too actually: Zegenbeek
hmm you have an awesome last name, yes you do :D
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

Peder 🚀

I find it strange that you can't register Victory Creek Productions because the one word "Victory" is used in a couple other company names...
But like the others, SegerBä[a]ck Studios sounds awesome! :P.

Gurok

[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Mouth for war

Yeah Peder it sounded strange to me as well. Bob Segerbäck? what would Bob stand for I wonder? :D haha

Phemar

Quote from: Mouth for war on Fri 20/06/2014 00:43:39
Yeah Peder it sounded strange to me as well. Bob Segerbäck? what would Bob stand for I wonder? :D haha

Bob Seger!

Mouth for war

I wish i could make games with that guy :-D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk