Zniw Adventure - coming 06.11.2020 on Steam!

Started by CrashPL, Sun 22/06/2014 20:49:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Click'd

Click'd

CrashPL

Man, I definitely should post more often... (definitely not 56K friendly)

The gang's (almost) here. Some of the larger dinos didn't quite fit in.

In other news, Zniw Adventure was qualified for the Indie Showcase finals at Digital Dragons 2018 event. Since it's in the dreaded last 5% polish stage, we'll show much more than the last year's events (including yet another location, much more completed encyclopedia and unlockable bonuses) ;)

Darth Mandarb

Lovely!

I have wondered for some time... The squiggly pixel outlines on the characters? Do you draw the animations without them and then just randomly add/remove some pixels from each frame to achieve this effect? Or do you just draw the outlines for each frame (not concerned w/ consistency) and let them workout naturally that way? It's a nice effect that isn't too over-the-top. Sometimes this squiggly animation style goes way too far and it's jarring on the eyes but this just has character.

AnasAbdin

You already know from twitter how much I'm in love with you and your work :-[
I have no words to describe how awesome your project looks and how talented you are.

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Tue 15/05/2018 12:00:59
I have wondered for some time... The squiggly pixel outlines on the characters...

I know! I've always loved the outlines and it gives it a very distinctive lovely look too! Most of 2D hand drawing animation apps render this way and can be removed, but this style fits the project PERFECTLY! ;-D

CrashPL

Thank you for the kind words, everyone! :D

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Tue 15/05/2018 12:00:59
The squiggly pixel outlines on the characters? Do you draw the animations without them and then just randomly add/remove some pixels from each frame to achieve this effect? Or do you just draw the outlines for each frame (not concerned w/ consistency) and let them workout naturally that way?

We actually used both methods, but it's mostly a redraw effect you described - that's why some of the more action-oriented animations took that much time to create. ;) For smaller objects/characters we just add/remove several random pixels, but cleverly disguise them as redrawn frames. We tried to tone down the effect as much as possible (so that it looks nice, but isn't that irritating), glad you like our efforts. :D

Monsieur OUXX

You're seriously good at animations.
At first I was skeptical about the hi-res-but-not-hi-enough-not-to-need-antialias, but in the end it turns out wonderfully.
Since it's so awesome, have you considered doing 8 angles for the main character instead of just 4?Then your game would look 200% smooth.

CrashPL

Thank you, glad you like it! And yes, she has all 8 angles! :D

That was one of the first challenges for us, way back in 2015 - animating all walking and idle views (for all 3 backpacks) took a good half-a-month of our time...
(also AGS slows down to (almost) a crawl when I open this view... I'm afraid the enigne's gonna break down any second I do anything on a view like this!)

Hobo

Wow, this is one of the most impressive AGS view pages I've ever seen. I'd gladly play this game even if it didn't have a single puzzle in it, I'd just slowly stumble around and marvel at the animations.

CrashPL

Thank you Hobo! We're really glad you like it. :D

Anyway, if you might (or might not) know, Zniw Adventure got to the finals of Digital Dragons 2018 Indie Showcase, which was held in 21-22 May, Cracow. You can watch some of the photos from the event here. We even met two fellow AGS users during the event!

We also now have a dedicated Discord server! If you'd like to hang out with us, watch some poorly drawn programmer placeholders, and have a good time, feel free to join!

Alright, in other news - Twarda started working on the intro/outro FMV cutscene, and regrets it already.

And s'more of the in-game moving pictures for you:

Danvzare

Oh my goodness. I can't imagine how long it must have taken just to make that short animation of the sun rising.
So many frames! 8-0
So beautiful! 8-0

CrashPL

Thank you Danvzare and Blondbraid! :D

A little bit of announcements shall appear here soon ...or at least I hope, so for now please enjoy some more cuts and line tests from the FMV animations. Man, these large cartoons will definitely be the death of us...

selmiak

Cassiebsg

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Blondbraid

AnasAbdin

So cute and heart warming ;-D
surprised Dino looks exactly like me when I wake up late for work and look at the time (laugh)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk