What the fudge happened to my new rig?!?!?!

Started by Mouth for war, Sun 22/06/2014 22:26:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Mouth for war

My happiness didn't last long :( I'm not sure what's wrong though. Suddenly the computer started to freeze up, and yesterday...right after firing up AGS Everything on the monitor looked incredibly weird...some yellow-ish color all over the screen and everything froze. Today on startup, single pixels appeared while booting...almost looked like dead pixels appearing all over the screen, it wasn't that but looked like it. I had to hold the powerbutton to be able to shut down. I'm guessing it is the Graphics card?? but i'm no master when it comes to this stuff...Luckily I could get in to windows one more time to make a backup copy of all my 3d objects and AGS Projects. Stupid piece of crap!!! I noticed the computer was very noisy while working with Poser or Cubase...but I have a 8 core processor and 16 gig of ram so there shouldn't be any problems running those programs. The graphics card is a Geforce GTX 760. I'm guessing it is that retarded graphics card that couldn't take it hehe. I'll get something fatter...with 4 gig memory or something. I'm soo glad right now that I also have a strong gaming laptop to use for now. I'd hate to pause with AGS because of this!!!! What are your guesses good people?
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

donkeymilk

or it might be one of your memory sticks failing .
Is everything seated properly in the slots?

Mouth for war

Aha...it could be that too? I didn't really check but I assumed it was seated properly because it just started and it's been fine for 2 months before this happened! Never been that crazy about opening the stuff up and mess around :D

Cassiebsg

My guess would be the GC... sound to me that maybe it overheat and gone bad (when was the last time you cleaned the inside dust of your computer and fans?).
Best way to figure it out is to open it (if it's out of the warranty), and replace components one at a time. Helps of course, if you have extra stuff home that you can replace with (if your MB has a built in GC, then you can just disconnect yours and run with the one from the MB, that would be a nice and fast way to check if it's the GC).
I would start with the GC, RAM may be easier to test, assuming that there's more than on block, you can just remove one, and try, then change... (but I don't think it's the RAM, since computers normally refuse to boot if RAM is bad).

PS. Found this site about via Google: Diagnose video card problems by comparing with example corrupted screens
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Adeel

Are you sure that you were not overclocking your GPU, Mouth for War?

Mouth for war

No I didn't overclock anything as far as I know. My bet is the graphics card...I'm getting a gtx 770 4 gb in a few days instead :D

kaput

If you are seeing stuff like that my bet is that it's probably the graphic card failing. Also, if the fan is loud on the card it's a sure bet. I'd take a look inside. Found myself in a similar situation over the last couple of weeks - my Geforce kicked the bucket as well. But mine actually burnt out and caused several other problems with my system. Those really are not made to last. My advice would be if you have an onboard/integrated graphic card just use that until you get your new one and backup your data and format your system. Then install your new card and do a clean reinstall of your os. Not essential, but gives a nice piece of mind. Good luck!

Mouth for war

I'll turn it in to the shop. He said he will pay me back for that GTX 760 2 gb card and put in a GTX 770 4 gb instead. I use my Asus laptop for now, so I don't have to stop my AGSing :D

Mouth for war

Yeah! But I'm going for a GTX 780 3gb...changed my mind today ;D

Adeel

Quote from: Mouth for war on Tue 24/06/2014 21:01:52
Yeah! But I'm going for a GTX 780 3gb...changed my mind today ;D

It's great that you got your GPU toasted. Otherwise, how could you have gotten better GPU? :-D

Mouth for war

Mouth for war

And donkeymilk was right. A damn RAM memory was faulty!

Adeel

Strange. Usually, whenever a RAM chip is faulty, computer refuses to boot. Btw, did you get your new card? :D

Mouth for war

Yeah he just called and asked if i wanted a computer with a monster graphics card :-D will pick it up within the hour :-D

Mouth for war

Mouth for war

Haha yeah I guess this will do the job!!! :D

Adeel

Fun fact: Inadvertently, you completed the dare which I had given to you some time ago! (laugh)

Mouth for war

HAHA you know what? I was actually thinking about that when I snapped the photo :D I should dare you something then ;)

Adeel

Go ahead and dare me. But in the proper thread unless you want to get banned! ;)

E: Took you quite long enough, though. :D

Mouth for war

Yay I had to put it back to the shop immediately...the cooler on the processor was faulty and yesterday my Asus gaming laptop gave up as well...What the F*** is it with me and computers? Some evil force doesn't want Jimmy the troublemaker 2 to happen!!! It's funny that the other laptop I have, which is the crappiest of all 3 computers still hasn't broken down on me haha :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk