What happened to user Ashen?

Started by Joe, Mon 23/06/2014 00:45:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Hello people.

I'm posting this because I remember when I started with AGS. I had never seen such a wonderful thing. I was just 15 when I discovered this little program in 2006 (the 2.71 version). You can't imagine how excited i felt when I created my first game. It was one of my dreams since I was 9 or 10 and had been looking for the way to do it for long time.
When I finally created a game (a very little one with horrible graphics and 0 programming) I realized there was something over there which I didn't know what it was for: the AGS script. Well there is no words to describe the emotion I felt when I used AGS script for the first time, it was also the first time I made some programming in my life (well maybe I wrote some lines in QBasic before). The thing is: AGS script was awesome but, like many others do right now, I needed a lot of help.

I'm 23 right now. It's been 8 years since I entered this comunity and remember my first post, asking for help for creating a LucasArts style statusline, and I also can remember who gave me the first shot: an user named "Ashen". Well, he absolutely doesn't know, but I thank him a lot his help, with his tips I learned the basics I needed for programming and nowadays I've made very interesting things in C/C++ php js python...

I know the first man I should thank is CJ. And of course I do, but I know CJ is still doing something over there or here, however I can see the user Ashen last logged in 2007 and never again. I know  many people (like me) have intense activity in the forum and then leave for long time. But I came back many times. So please, if anyone knows what happened to this man, please tell.

Regards,
Joe.
Copinstar © Oficial Site

Babar

No idea what happened to him. He was truly a king of the Beginner's Tech forum.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Ghost

He's gone AWOL one day. I still remember him fondly. ut well, it happens. Some people leave.

Grim

Maybe a heart attack?

A head-on collision with a lorry?

Drowning?

Kidnapped by aliens?

I can't think of any other reason someone would quit the community all of a sudden like that.

Atelier

Yeah, it's a rather dark thought but the disappearance of prolific posters may be attributed to some kind of accident, we would just never know. Obviously hopefully that's not the case here or in any other.

Ghost

Quote from: Grim on Mon 23/06/2014 17:51:53
I can't think of any other reason someone would quit the community all of a sudden like that.

I can, and many don't involve accidents at all. (nod) After several YEARS I am sure the forums would in some way have stumbled over info if it had been of the bad kind.

Babar

*Babar starts up some crazy conspiracy theory about how Ashen disappeared on the Winter Solstice of 2007.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Iron Lawnmower

I hear he's reviewing cheap tat on YouTube for a living now days.

cat

Actually, that's an interesting topic. Should we include a clause in our last will to sign us off from all forums we frequent?

Adeel

The best bet would be to make a list of all the passwords you use and give to them to the person you trust the most, just in case.

If you use Password Manager, then you only need Super Password to get access to all of your passwords. In that case, tell that Super Password to the person you trust the most. This method is more easier, imho.

Atelier

Quote from: cat on Tue 24/06/2014 16:18:39
Actually, that's an interesting topic. Should we include a clause in our last will to sign us off from all forums we frequent?

Sometimes I see people on Facebook posting on deceased friend's or family's timelines, and for some reason, I find it macabre. Obviously, I don't mean disrespect if it helps people with their grief. But I for sure wouldn't want people doing that to me. In fact I read that Facebook has a memorialisation service which basically freezes your account if the user has died, so some actions are restricted but you can still view stuff. I just find that ridiculously creepy. No joke, it's a genuine fear that my e-life and the 'socio-electronical' footprint I have made will outlive me. I can't think of anything worse than continuing to exist after you're dead, in any form; especially not on Facebook, but that's a topic for another thread (actually think I made one yonks ago re: my dislike for it).

Retro Wolf

Quote from: Iron Lawnmower on Tue 24/06/2014 15:50:54
I hear he's reviewing cheap tat on YouTube for a living now days.

Is that really the same guy? I've watched a few of his videos.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk