MAGS July: "High School" (Winner Announced)

Started by Atelier, Tue 01/07/2014 00:12:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Atelier

Topic: 'High School'

This month's guidelines were set by AprilSkies:

Only one rule: Create a game set during high school times.

Crowded hallways packed with rowdy students, cheerleaders, leather jackets, lockers, Rock'n'Roll, prom, football games, brawls, chemistry lab...
Ok I admit that many of these words are just clichés that come from some American movies, but I guess that most of us have a nice memory of high school times: first kisses, first loves, pranks, rebellions, lightheartedness, summer vacation and so on and so forth.

Let me conclude with a quote:
The kids want a little action - The kids want a little fun - The kids all have to get their kicks - Before the evening's done
'Cause they're goin' to *High school* Rah, rah, rah *High school* Sis, boom, bah *High school* Hey, hey, hey - You better let them have their way
(High School - MC5)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6ZkaF1GNNA

Ending 31st July

__________________________________________________________________________________________

What is MAGS?

MAGS is a monthly competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, or provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

You may get help for the competition, although you must end up doing something yourself. You should however be warned that it proves difficult to organize a big team within thirty days. You are not allowed to use material already created before this competition. Your game must be completely new! Music and sound is an exception; you can use free material that is available to the public, if you wish. Modules and templates are also allowed.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

âœ" A working download link
âœ" The title of your game
âœ" A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fifteen days. The winner chooses the next month's theme, and their name and game is immortalised in the MAGS Archive. For more information, please visit the Official MAGS website.

granary

I've been working on an entry for this for a bit now. It's coming along nicely. I've got some art to share:
Spoiler

(The last one is an element of the UI)
[close]
I've got some animations and other stuff going, too. I'm also working on the story, though I think I'll let it be a surprise. I will say that I've decided to title it 'The New Familiar'. Just thought I'd show off some of my progress; that's all for now. I'm looking forward to seeing the other entries. This is definitely a broad topic.

Atelier

Hi granary, and welcome to the forums!

Unfortunately, the rules state that you can't compete with material you have made before the competition. I'm afraid you won't be able to enter with your current project, if you have been working on it before the guidelines were announced.

Having said that, I look forward to seeing it released one day, the art looks very promising!

granary

Quote from: Atelier on Tue 01/07/2014 11:55:28
Hi granary, and welcome to the forums! Unfortunately, the rules state that you can't compete with material you have made before the competition. I'm afraid you won't be able to enter with your current project, if you have been working on it before the guidelines were announced.

Having said that, I look forward to seeing it released one day, the art looks very promising!

No, sorry. I think you misunderstood. By "a bit", I mean a few hours. I just started this.

Atelier

I thought you meant "a bit" as in "a while", as I only posted it at midnight :-D Jolly good then, good luck!

granary

Quote from: Atelier on Tue 01/07/2014 12:09:48
I thought you meant "a bit" as in "a while", as I only posted it at midnight :-D Jolly good then, good luck!
Yes, I guess it was a bit unclear. I was very excited to start a new project, so I was waiting to see what the topic would be.
I'll be back once it's finished, then. Or nearly finished, at least. Thanks.

Atelier

Half-way through people! Any interest?

Also, I have cleared the backlog, so the MAGS site is now once more up to date. I'm planning to start MAGGIES 2013 in the next couple of days, if not today.

Erenan

I am toying with a small idea for this, but not sure if I'll have time to do it.

EDIT: Nope, nevermind. Not going to happen this month. :sad:
The Bunker

Radiant

Quote from: Atelier on Wed 16/07/2014 11:44:14
Half-way through people! Any interest?

Also, I have cleared the backlog, so the MAGS site is now once more up to date. I'm planning to start MAGGIES 2013 in the next couple of days, if not today.

That's great!

If you have the time, may I ask you to do some tweaks on the MAGS site layout? In particular, on contemporary monitors I don't think it's necessary to restrict the screenshots to 80x50 pixels, or the important control buttons to 8x8 pixels. I'm sure this made perfect sense several years ago, but nowadays I think we can all handle full-sized 320x200 screenshots on the site, as well as buttons that are more practically sized. Just a thought :)

Atelier

I'm afraid I don't have access to the website files - the host can only add entries/guidelines and change the info. I think Peder is your man for that, although a new MAGS site is in the works, so changing the old one might be low priority.

Also, I've just started a new job, so I'll probably have to start Maggies on the weekend.

granary

Game is finished! Exciting.
The New Familiar

It's mostly dialogue, but there's so much of it. I recommend playing it a few times.
Download here.
More screenshots:
Spoiler

[close]

Atelier

One day left! Looks like it will be a default win, unless anyone can conjure anything in 24 hours?

Retro Wolf

I had an idea for an infinite runner type game about a hall monitor.
Only got as far as animating the main character!

[imgzoom]http://s20.postimg.org/693mjcxah/hallmonitor.png[/imgzoom]

You would have collected hall passes while avoiding detention slips!
Plus he had laser vision.

Ghost

Retro Wolf

Quote from: Ghost on Thu 31/07/2014 19:55:38
Quote from: Retro Wolf on Thu 31/07/2014 12:39:18
Plus he had laser vision.

Make it happen! ;-D

Maybe I should, my collection of RAM Ghosts is staggering!

@Granary: Nice to see a new AGSer complete their first game, looks very promising! I hope to get round to checking it out soon.

Stupot

Is there no August MAGS? I'm off work this month, so spent all of yesterday waiting for the topic announcement.

Ghost

Quote from: Retro Wolf on Thu 31/07/2014 22:01:07
Maybe I should, my collection of RAM Ghosts is staggering!

Each time someone says that I feel that tiny pang of pride. (nod) You know they all strive to become a game, though, right? Those tiny ghosts depend on you!

__
Also: Congrats on your release, granary. Downloaded and will soon play it (nod)

Atelier

The month there is no MAGS is the month the Four Horsemen will appear! http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=50809

Congrats to granary - you're the winner of this month!

granary

Quote from: Atelier on Sun 03/08/2014 22:22:19
Congrats to granary - you're the winner of this month!
Quote from: Ghost on Sat 02/08/2014 01:08:37
Also: Congrats on your release, granary. Downloaded and will soon play it (nod)
Quote from: Retro Wolf on Thu 31/07/2014 22:01:07
@Granary: Nice to see a new AGSer complete their first game, looks very promising! I hope to get round to checking it out soon.
Thanks, everybody. I would have liked to have seen more entries this month, but I made a game, so I guess I got what I wanted out of this.
Good luck to this month's participants. MAGS is a great thing.

AprilSkies

Congratz granary,
the game is cool! It's "alternative" and unique.

www.apemarina.altervista.org

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk