Some Monsters

Started by MisterBork, Sat 05/07/2014 05:46:25

Previous topic - Next topic

MisterBork

I made some creatures, because I'm making a fantasy game. It's any good?

granary

These are definitely not bad, but they could benefit from a bit more polish. I'm sure that's your intention at this point, though. The look they have now is really solid (colors and shading), which can be great if it's done right. Personally, though, I find that solid art benefits from a large range of values, and not all of these have that. The big head on the right is a great example of solid, high-contrast art, so keep that in mind if you choose to go that route with the rest of the art.
I do see that you have some small details in the creatures, so you could also try for a more intricate look if you bring in more small touches. If you go for more detail, try to make sure everything is legible; all of your hard work won't mean much if nobody can see it. I say this because some of your details now (the fur on the bear-like creature, in particular) are hard to see. Also, even if you go for a solid style, you can still have more detail. You've got both in the floating head, which is nice.
I guess what I really want to see is more of a commitment to something that makes the art stand out. They're currently smooth in a very strange way, and I'm not sure that that's what you want. So, basically, just distribute your darks and lights more evenly and maybe add a bit of a personal touch.
I hope that this all helps you in some way. I'd be interested in seeing more as you continue to work.

cat

Number 3 looks really scary.

I like the style, but it depends on the kind of backgrounds you are going to use. It might be hard to make backgrounds where the monsters fit and also can be easily seen.

Ghost

2 and 4 are a bit understated. I think in a more detailled style they would be terrifying because they are very close to familiar animals, and just a bit "warped". Very close to uncertain valley. But in your style they are "merely familiar" (no offense)- I see what they're supposed to be but they are not scary.
1 would be my favourite. That's really a solid shape, a direct threat, something familiar totally made into an unnatural monster. 3, as cat already said, is also something I'd not want to meet in a dark alley.
The giant head is well executed too, just a bit too goofy-looking.

All of this is absolutely subjective. I think you got a got clean style but there's room for more (see granary, who really nails it).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk