Point and Clicks and more

Started by AnasAbdin, Sat 05/07/2014 22:09:59

Previous topic - Next topic

AnasAbdin

I like your idea NickyNyce :) thanks!
My current plan is while the player is hanging, when the cursor is on his left it'll turn into a left arrow and vice versa. So it'll only be a single left click to perform a hop.

CaptainD

Quote from: AnasAbdin on Mon 07/07/2014 13:28:19
My current plan is while the player is hanging, when the cursor is on his left it'll turn into a left arrow and vice versa. So it'll only be a single left click to perform a hop.

That sounds good.

For the record I'm really not against mini-games in adventure games as long as they are well executed.  The driving section and throwing watermelons out of the plane in Lost Horizon are pretty good examples.

Adeel

Like the majority of the people here, my opinion is that little bits of action in the adventure games add some extra fun, provided they aren't too hard. Take Sam and Max Series' driving mini games for example. They are not too hard to play and hence, so much fun.

Execution is the key here. How they are executed will what make or ruin your game, Anas. :)

Snarky

One possible way to ease players into it (though it would take some modification of the BG) would be to start the swinging over a platform, so if the player doesn't get it right to begin with the character will just land safely. After the first couple of swings he'd be away from the platform, and failure would mean death.

There are lots of different possibilities depending on just what experience you want to make it.

AnasAbdin

Thank Adeel.
Snarky you're correct. There is a platform where the player's first jump starts. And if the player slips while he's over it or even over the goal point he falls right on the platform safely ;)

Cassiebsg

Been thinking about this, and if there are enough of these "hand ons" approach/alternative and it's very clear to the player that he can solve the problem by "hands on" or "brain on", you might just grab some players that don't normally like/play Adventure games, cause they don't like the puzzling solving.
You might just grab those that only want to puzzle solve, those who like puzzling with a bit of action and those that just want action and no puzzling (could be fun to get passed this by those type of players, if you know any). Of course, implementing such a thing, would mean a lot more work for you.

But it's nice food for thought. :)
I might just implement such alternative ways, into my BSG game, when I get started with it. (I will definitely keep this in mind, and maybe I end up with 3 to 4 different ways of solving a situation/puzzle, instead of 2 to 3). ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

AnasAbdin

Well Cassiebsg I'm glad you're thinking about this more :-D It wasn't my intention to implement this technique "hands/brains on" all game long! It will appear a few times in the game thought.

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Tue 08/07/2014 20:25:05Of course, implementing such a thing, would mean a lot more work for you.

Let the coding begin (nod)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk