Coin Collectors?

Started by Babar, Fri 25/07/2014 22:38:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Babar

Ok, so I know some of you collect (don't worry, I won't out you :tongue:), and some of you have the attitude of "Cool, now you can buy loads of gum in many countries!" :grin:, but I figured I'd share and see who else is into this stuff.
I finally just finished organising and cataloguing each of my 853 coins (go ahead and count if you like := ), not counting the ones I keep to exchange, so I figured I'd show off.

To see how much of the world I've conquered, have a look at this map (hope it doesn't stretch the thread):
Mongolia and North Korea still hold out against me :(

And because pictures of bits of cardboard and maps might not be all that interesting, here is one of my favourite coins of my collection:
Not because of any cultural or numismatic significance, but because he looks like an awesome skeleton man.

So any other hidden collectors? Send me your change please, especially if you live in North Korea :P.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Atelier

I collect coins in the sense that I keep interesting foreign coins, but I'm certainly not a coin collector :-[

Something I would like to know - does it depreciate the value if you polish coins? I've heard something about polishing coins in the past but can't remember whether it's good, bad, or a neutral thing to do. I'm thinking of old coins no longer in circulation, but I suppose it applies to anything really.

Edit: also, I assume there is no market for foreign currency that is still in circulation? So the value of such coins is literally just the exchange rate?

Gurok

I have a coin collection, but it's bullion, not numismatic. I think I've PM'd you some photos before.

Does that chart mean you need coins from Australia? Can help!
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Babar

That's how I started, Atelier!
I just eventually decided to "formalise" my collection.

Unless you use very specific materials (and no, normal polish does not count), then yes, polishing or cleaning coins in any way is a bad idea, and depreciates their value. ESPECIALLY if they're old.

There's definitely a market for foreign currency still in circulation (depending on specific years or types or groups of coins or errors on the currency, or even where you are and accessibility to the coins). For example, I could take a couple of currently circulating coins valued at about $0.14, and if they're not scratched or damaged or anything, sell them online for $2.50.

That chart means I have 14 unique coins from Australia, all the way from the 1 cent one to the 2 AUD one. I suppose I don't have all the Queen's heads, but that seems a bit much to ask :D.

Mati256

If you need coins from Uruguay, just let me know. :-D
My Blog! (En Español)

Babar

Hey Mati!
I only have 1 coin from Uruguay, and considering it is 25 Centésimos from 1960, I'm pretty sure you don't use it anymore.
I really do prefer having more recently used coins, so if you have....I dunno, the equivalent of 0.01 of your currency, something that you use every day and wouldn't miss, I would appreciate that.
If we swap addresses, I can send you a surprise (mwahahahahahhahahahha) as well!

Darth Mandarb

I have a few coins... but FAR from a "collection". 

A few years back a friend of mine was remodeling her home (it was previously owned by some Cuban druglord (no joke)) and she found a bag of currency in the walls which she handed over to me.  I asked her if they were worth anything but she didn't know (she's mega-rich anyway so didn't really care one way or the other).

I've never had them evaluated (it's a bunch of non-USA coins though, I have no idea from where) because I was in the process of moving and didn't have the time.

This thread has inspired me to take a look at them again.  Now the question is where did I put them...

Baron

I've got a small collection.  There are two criteria for coins to interest me:

1) Coins must be at least 200 years old
2) Coins must have almost no current monetary value

...So basically this limits me to severely worn/damaged coins, but it's still cool to contemplate how many lives a tiny lump of metal in your hand has passed through in the past 2000 years.  If only money could talk!  Wait....

Ghost

Since I was 12 I collect Pfennige (later cents) that have been run over by trains. You tend to find them occasionally- it only counts if you find one, though, you can't put a coin on the tracks yourself and pick it up later.

Cassiebsg

My dad collects Euros, and only Euros.
I used to just keep the coins left from my travels, so I have/had a few. In these days they're just Euros though, which I can use (unless I get one my dad is missing).
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Babar

This website can usually give you information about a coin (including worth), but only if you know some information of it: http://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/
This if you don't: http://en.numista.com/catalogue/index.php

Where do you find such coins, Baron?

Ghost, I have dozens of pfennig (plural pfennige?) going all the way back to 1949...is them being run over by trains a common enough occurrence to make a collection out of them?

I collect euros too, Cassie, but I'm kinda sad how they invalidated half my collection :D.

Baron

Quote from: Babar on Sat 26/07/2014 11:39:20
Where do you find such coins, Baron?

Garage sales and antique stores mostly....  Just look in the discount bin.  ;)

Ghost

Quote from: Babar on Sat 26/07/2014 11:39:20
Ghost, I have dozens of pfennig (plural pfennige?) going all the way back to 1949...is them being run over by trains a common enough occurrence to make a collection out of them?

I think it's more a thing I once started to do for the sheer sake of it. I spend a lot of time at railway stations and puting coins on the rails is popular around where I live. It's like collecting stones with a hole in them, I guess.
I have, so far, roughly 46 utterly flat pieces of small change :)

Mati256

That reminds me I have a small collection of keys I have found on the street. Also, a very small collection of Soviet WWII medals.
My Blog! (En Español)

Ryan Timothy B

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Sat 26/07/2014 02:02:17
A few years back a friend of mine was remodeling her home (it was previously owned by some Cuban druglord (no joke)) and she found a bag of currency in the walls which she handed over to me.
I don't collect coins but I'm very curious about these. It's like finding lost treasure.

selmiak

I'm somehow more interested in the story of the cuban druglord than some old coins... ;)

Babar

Hey, Cuban drug-lords can be coin collectors too! Or maybe it was just his change jar.

cat

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Sat 26/07/2014 02:02:17
A few years back a friend of mine was remodeling her home (it was previously owned by some Cuban druglord (no joke)) and she found a bag of currency in the walls which she handed over to me.  I asked her if they were worth anything but she didn't know (she's mega-rich anyway so didn't really care one way or the other).

Is she mega-rich because she also found a bag of drugs in the walls?

I usually keep some of the coins I get when on vacation in non-Euro countries. Also Euro coins with some special design.

racy742

I have an empty bottle full of coppers.... (laugh)

Seriously though nice collection :)

Stupot

How are you doing for Japanese coins? I can send you any current ones that you need and if I ask around I might even be able to get hold of some older/out-of-circulation ones.

I also have a Singapore 10c piece that's yours if you want it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk