The New Familiar (MAGS July 2014)

Started by granary, Wed 30/07/2014 13:24:45

Previous topic - Next topic

granary

The New Familiar is a dialogue-heavy adventure game made for the July 2014 MAGS competition (Theme: High School).
It's about exploration and growth, though it can get rather depressing. To get the most out of the game, you should play it more than once.

Download here!
If you do download it, please check the readme. It has some information about the controls, though they're probably obvious. I wouldn't want anybody to miss something important, though.
Thank you for playing my haphazard depression simulator, also.

Extra link: dev blog

Edit:
v1.1: Added a map button and a quit prompt. Also moved the exit for the Act 3 auditorium over a bit for convenience.
Original version

Cassiebsg

Hey, still giving it a try (meaning that I'm still lost in it), but have a few comments.

First is: You should add a "are you sure you want to quit?" screen... First thing I did, even before I managed to see the menu, was accidentally click on the Exit option, and thus closing the game.
The second thing is that I went thru a door, and when I wanted to get get back out and exit the room, by what I thought was the door I come in, I found my self in a completely new room! Think that marking the exist/walls on the floor would improve the game. Nothing more annoying to be stuck in a game, cause one can't find a room.
And last, is there a particular reason why the characters flicker? Is that an intentional game feature/design?

On the positive note (yes, I have those too!) I like the style and rough/alternative drawings. They give just the right "feel" for such a game. :)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

granary

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Thu 31/07/2014 15:11:35
You should add a "are you sure you want to quit?" screen... First thing I did, even before I managed to see the menu, was accidentally click on the Exit option, and thus closing the game.
The second thing is that I went thru a door, and when I wanted to get get back out and exit the room, by what I thought was the door I come in, I found my self in a completely new room! Think that marking the exist/walls on the floor would improve the game. Nothing more annoying to be stuck in a game, cause one can't find a room.
And last, is there a particular reason why the characters flicker? Is that an intentional game feature/design?
Hey, thanks for the feedback. I've addressed the issues you brought up in a new version. You can now press M to show the room's exits, as well as the way to the room you were last in. Also, if we're talking about the same flicker, it's intentional. The characters have idle animations that cause them to become transparent or change color. It's just a stylistic thing.

AprilSkies

Hi granary,
I played it and I must say it's great! Don't know exactly why I like it.. but I like it a lot!
What I like the most is the unique style and the unique art approach.. those strange characters.. those strange colour-flash on characters. In one word this is a real ALTERNATIVE game.

If Kurt Cobain were a game maker he would have made this game!

www.apemarina.altervista.org

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk