Basic question about using Dialogs

Started by Cassiebsg, Wed 30/07/2014 19:56:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassiebsg

Hey all.

This is more to hear what you guys use when using dialogs, rather than a technical scripting question on how to use dialogs (I think).
I have not yet dwell too much into dialogs, I've only created 2 ATM, but I was kind of surprised to see that the talk to is Global and not room specific.
So now I'm a bit lost. Should I create one long script with all dialog for each NPC, and turn options on and off, and if/else stuff there, or should I create several dialogs for each NPC, that will be then checked by if/else checks in global script? Or is it just me that am thinking of this too complex?

Keep in mind that I have +/- 30 NPCs that will move around, and depending on where they are and where the player is in the game (progress), will have different dialog options...

How do you all do it?
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Ghost

You can create several dialogs and, in the talkTo event, run specific ones. There's no reason to put all lines into one dialog and then switch them on and off- just create dialogs that contain what you need. Since you can call other dialogs from within a dialog via script language, you can easily "branch out".

For example, a museum guide would have some information about the tour itself and different things to say about exhibits in a certain room. In his talkTo event, you'd probably keep some basic lines, and have a "Tell me about the exhibits", which would then check against the current room, and call another dialog that has lines dealing with the items in the current room.

You can make it as involved as you like, but adventure game NPCs tend to have small info pools most of the time.

Cassiebsg

Well... I'm trying to make a non-linear game where every (or most of them) choices will lead to different results, though, with few exceptions, the game will always progress and move forward. But I'm not even sure where and how I'll do that... Starting to think that I need to create a separate script just to hold all of the NPCs talk if/else, so I don't clutter the Global Script too much...
that way I can just call a talk function in global, and resolve all the what ifs. :)

Thanks for the info. :)

Ghost

If you want to do that, then you want to plan out the game, all your results, and jot down all ways that lead to that result- in the end you need a tree that covers all possible mixes of all possible options. Two characters, three lines of dialogue each, two possible endings- that's a measly 2² x 3³ (or something). Possible yes. Practical no.

Most non-linear games still enforce some linearity (by having several options lead to only one ending, or by using groups of answer types). The "illusion of impact" is powerful (though it lessens as you replay a game and see other options getting the same answers).

Cassiebsg

Well, they all lead to one end, 14 days of summer camp. ;)
The question will be more: will it end up prematurely, end up with 1 friend or +20 friends... Mostly I don't want it to be "you need to solve this, before you can move forward".
Also my only real goal with this game, is use it as a learning tool. Maybe if I bothered to map it all out and take the time to actually write the story, I could progress in scripting a little faster... though I think my lack of making all the art stuff, is slowing me more than anything else.
But I'm sure I'll get there... but if it'll be an interesting and fun game to play, that I can~t guarantee...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk