Question relating to an 'Brain Computer Interface' Enhancement/Plugin for AGS

Started by Raigen, Fri 01/08/2014 15:43:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Raigen

Hello AGS Community,

First of all, I apologize for my probably bad english, I dont have much practice.

I'm currently on research for my master thesis at the goethe university in frankfurt, germany.
I have to enhance an open source point & click game engine(AGS seems for me to be the best choice) with bci control features.
That it is possible to control a game with a brain computer interface using event related potential (P300 Signals) for simple yes/no or target/notarget answers
To find out if a button/object should be selected/used/etc.. or not

For a better impression how a P300 Speller works, you should take a look at this Youtube video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08GNE6OdNcs

In a likewise manner the interactable objects/buttons should be flashing in the game, to select one.
Either each object alone or in rows/columns as seen in the video.
The decision which objects or which row/column flashes in which order comes from the BCI2000 platform and the BCI Headset
that it can match the Signals gained from the BCI with the flashing objects.
To communicate with external applications the BCI2000 has an external application interface for communication via UDP.

My question is:

Could I realize it with an AGS Engine Plugin or also with an AGS Editor plugin?
I can't estimate it, because I don't have much experience with AGS (and unfortunetaley C++, but much with C# and java) yet.

I know these kind of Point & Click Games are a bit limited and could take a long time to play,
but the target group of such BCI games are poeple with motor disorders.

I'm very thankful for each help.

Thank you in advance
Raigen :)

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Raigen on Fri 01/08/2014 15:43:04
Could I realize it with an AGS Engine Plugin or also with an AGS Editor plugin?
I can't estimate it, because I don't have much experience with AGS (and unfortunetaley C++, but much with C# and java) yet.

I think the answer is positive. There's already a joystick plugin, which translates commands from external device (joystick, gamepad) into game.
AGS plugin interface allows plugin to call for any game function, get information about objects on screen and manipulate with them using wanted algorithm.

Raigen

Thank you very much for the fast answer :)

I will start to do this plugin within the next weeks and will provide information for those who are interested in this.
I hope I get it to work, without big problems

But I'm always open for suggestions and idea's :)

Best Regards
Raigen

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk