Just want to say hi!

Started by PhilStrahl, Mon 04/08/2014 20:06:54

Previous topic - Next topic

PhilStrahl

Hey everybody! Just wanted to introduce myself to the community.

I've been in an on/off relationship with AGS for many years now. Every year or so I get myself the latest version and tinker with it just because of the great possibilities. I also code a bit (Pure Basic & Gamemaker) but I never finished a real game in all those years, though.

But since I am doing quite okay with pushing pixels and enjoy it very much, I am intending to participate in one or the other competitions around here to gain some more experience. In any case: Nice to meet y'all!

- Phil

Ibispi

Hey Phil,

I have just watched your video on YouTube about Lovecraft and it's really good. I have myself just recently discovered this writer and am reading a collection of his stories translated on my language.
There are a lot of creative competitions in these forums, but MAGS (monthly AGS competition), particularly, can make you quite productive in terms of making games. You should check it out!

And, nice to meet you! :)

Gribbler

Welcome to this wonderful community, Phil. I wish you the very best in game making! It's fun!

PhilStrahl

Quote from: BSP on Mon 04/08/2014 20:31:45
Hey Phil,

I have just watched your video on YouTube about Lovecraft and it's really good. I have myself just recently discovered this writer and am reading a collection of his stories translated on my language.
There are a lot of creative competitions in these forums, but MAGS (monthly AGS competition), particularly, can make you quite productive in terms of making games. You should check it out!

And, nice to meet you! :)

Thanks you very much for watching, BSP! Next week I'll release a video about a book by the Japanese author who wrote the Ring trilogy, so maybe that's also something for you :) And for now I'll try to get started with some background art first before stepping out of my comfort zone (roll)

Quote from: Gribbler on Mon 04/08/2014 22:51:36
Welcome to this wonderful community, Phil. I wish you the very best in game making! It's fun!

Nice to meet you too, Gribbler! Let's see how far I get this time with making a game... ;)

Stupot

Nice to meet you Phil.
The Ring books are great. I'm a big fan of the books and the films (although Sadako 3D was terrible!!! The scariest thing about that film is that they're making a sequel. Aaaargh!

PhilStrahl

Quote from: Stupot+ on Tue 05/08/2014 00:44:47
… The scariest thing about that film is that they're making a sequel. Aaaargh!

(laugh) good one!

PhilStrahl

By the way: For those of you who enjoyed my Lovecraft video on YouTube, jere's the new one about Koji Suzuki :)

â–º https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Em-sMhsajA

Ibispi

Great video! This is the first time I hear of this author, and unfortunately there are no translations of his works on my native language, but if I ever get a chance to read it on English(or some other language) I definitely will. ^ ^

PhilStrahl

Quote from: BSP on Mon 11/08/2014 15:45:56
Great video! This is the first time I hear of this author, and unfortunately there are no translations of his works on my native language, but if I ever get a chance to read it on English(or some other language) I definitely will. ^ ^

Hey, thanks for watching! :) And as a German native speaker, I found the English translation pretty easy to read, especially when compared to Lovecraft.

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot+ on Tue 05/08/2014 00:44:47
Nice to meet you Phil.
The Ring books are great. I'm a big fan of the books and the films (although Sadako 3D was terrible!!! The scariest thing about that film is that they're making a sequel. Aaaargh!

Hahaha!!! Yeah...it's pretty much the "Jason" or "Freddy" syndrome going on, where the character from a well-made horror movie has taken on a life of its own outside of its original movie(s) and become a kind of recyclable boogeyman. The character has become better known than the movie(s)...

Unfortunately, when you remove the character from its original plot structure you just end up with something generic and tawdry.

Also see: "Aliens vs Predator" (not literally though)

PhilStrahl

That's really true, the characters and the plot really need to work in tandem. I mean, I know a Guybrush Threepwood type clerk at one shop and he's not funny, just very annoying.

Quote from: Mandle on Tue 12/08/2014 03:01:57
Also see: "Aliens vs Predator" (not literally though)

(laugh)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk