The best way to fake a Usenet client? / Small Database? [SOLVED]

Started by Scavenger, Thu 07/08/2014 03:58:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Scavenger

I'm currently working on a computer interface for my game, and I need a usenet interface. I don't mind if it's not dynamic, and I know how to do the frontend, but it's the backend that is bugging me. What is the best way to do a small database that shows different arrays of values in a listbox and a label depending on what's selected? EG:

Code: ags

- comp.legacy.z80 // Root 1
-- Why is my computer beeping all the time? //Branch 1
--- Seriously, whenever I turn it on, its just a litany of PC speaker beeps. I cant take it, the computer doesn't even work. //Branch 1 Selected.
-- Running the Metaverse //Branch 2
--- Is there any way to enable 3D view in the z80 Metaverse build? //Branch 2 Selected
- alt.fan.ripsaw // Root 2
-- Ripsaw Rising Doesnt Make Any Sense //Branch 1
--- Im sure youve read my other posts on the subject, but something occurred to me when rewatching the execrable Dark Blade series. When Ripsaw first became a... //Branch 1 selected.

What I want to do is have a list of usenet addresses (the roots), and when you click on one, it populates the message list with the branches, and when you select a branch, it displays the message connected to the branch. I'm not sure how to store this, however - should it be hard coded into the game's script, or in a seperate text file? If it was in a text file, I expect I'd be able to have different folders for text resources (Using /English/usenet_01.txt , /German/usenet_01.txt etc and Game.TranslationFilename to choose the folder). And if it was in a text file, how do I store it so it can be parsed into the arrays? I may need several of these throughout the course of the game (on different computers).

I'm sure I'd be able to program it, I just don't know the best way to start. Does anyone have any suggestions?

EDIT:
It was just a case of making a struct.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk