[SOLVED] Game quits on GUI mouseover

Started by Crimmy, Thu 07/08/2014 17:07:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Crimmy

Hey guys. First post, though I'm lurking the IRC a bit

I was doing dialogue and minor scripting and the game quits when I mouseover the GUI bar at the top. I am pretty clueless why, since no errors show up when the game runs :\

The error message Illegal Exception says:
An exception 0xC0000005 occured in ACWIN.EXE at EIP = 0x005591B0;
program pointer is +379, ACI version 3.3.0.1162, gtags (2049,64)

The crash file is here - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/48084487/CrashInfo.3.3.0.1162.dmp

(C: Solution was changing the driver to 5 then 9 again)

-------------------
Side question, mostly irrelevant - how do I stop the GUI that shows up on mouseover from appearing?

JonCausith

Hi there!

That does seem strange! So does the GUI bar show up during the dialog, and it quits on you, or does the GUI bar crash regardless of dialog and such?

Crimmy

Quote from: JonCausith on Thu 07/08/2014 17:58:09

The GUI bar shows up continuously at the top of the screen (default project), I mean that it only stopped working after I added some dialogue (as opposed to doing anything that directly relates to it).

My only two changes to the globalscript, which is I think the only thing that could interfere with it is this
Code: ags

function iMask_Look()
{
      Display("[filler text]");
}

function cSledge4_Talk()
{
      dDialog0.Start();
}

But that looks fine to me.

Crimson Wizard

Hi Crimmy.
According to the crash dump, this is some kind of internal error in the engine. It occurs when the game tries to redraw the gui button.

Unfortunately, it is impossible to see more with the dump alone. The only thing I may imagine is that you have deleted the sprite assigned to one of the icons and forgot to fix the assignment itself.
Will it be acceptable for you to PM me the game itself, so that I could run it under debugger and see what happens?

Crimmy

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Thu 07/08/2014 18:51:06
Hi Crimmy.
According to the crash dump, this is some kind of internal error in the engine. It occurs when the game tries to redraw the gui button.

Unfortunately, it is impossible to see more with the dump alone. The only thing I may imagine is that you have deleted the sprite assigned to one of the icons and forgot to fix the assignment itself.
Will it be acceptable for you to PM me the game itself, so that I could run it under debugger and see what happens?

Sure. It's my first game, so do you want the project file or the built game file?
It might just be easier for me to redo what I did into my backup and test what works and what doesn't.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Crimmy on Thu 07/08/2014 19:46:02
Sure. It's my first game, so do you want the project file or the built game file?
It might just be easier for me to redo what I did into my backup and test what works and what doesn't.

Compiled game should be enough.
It is important to find what causes this. The engine must not crash like this - without even a comprehensible message - , even if user did something wrong.

Crimson Wizard

Hmm, I tried both running this game stand-alone and from AGS, but did not get any crashes.

I really don't know, maybe it's something that happens only on your computer for some reason (certain graphic driver maybe)... The sprites you are having are 8-bit ones, and game is 32-bit. It is possible that Direct3d driver does not like this.

There are two things you may try to test things out:
1) Change graphics driver to "DirectDraw 5" in setup and see if crashes persist;
2) Replace the default 8-bit sprites with something more appropriate (16 or 32-bit images).

Crimmy

So it should work but it isn't. Hm
DirectDraw 5 works, but I'm in the mood to spend the 10 or so minutes moving my work to my backup (DirectDraw 9) and seeing if the error shows up
It seems like DirectDraw 9 is a better long term choice, so I'll try out changing the icons.
I'd appreciate it if someone could explain how I can disable the default GUI gIconbar from appearing, which might stop the critical error.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Crimmy on Fri 08/08/2014 10:20:58
I'd appreciate it if someone could explain how I can disable the default GUI gIconbar from appearing, which might stop the critical error.
Open it in the Editor and set visibility to "Normal, initially off". Then search for "gIconbar.Visible = true" line in Global script and comment it out (adding "//" before the command).

If you don't want this icon bar at all, just delete it, and remove any references from script.

Crimmy

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Fri 08/08/2014 10:55:51
Quote from: Crimmy on Fri 08/08/2014 10:20:58
Open it in the Editor and set visibility to "Normal, initially off". Then search for "gIconbar.Visible = true" line in Global script and comment it out (adding "//" before the command).

Fantastic, thanks.
I just fixed the critical error too! I just swapped the graphics driver back lol.
Thanks a lot Crimson Wizard :smiley:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk