Something Sierra-related is happening at GamesCom

Started by Gurok, Fri 08/08/2014 05:03:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Radiant

Their website says that they're looking for indie designers... I wonder if anyone here has figured out how to contact them about that?

Ghost

Quote from: Radiant on Mon 06/10/2014 17:37:05
I wonder if anyone here has figured out how to contact them about that?

A PUZZLE! That's classy (laugh)

Blackthorne

-----------------------------------
"Enjoy Every Sandwich" - Warren Zevon

http://www.infamous-quests.com

Radiant

Quote from: Blackthorne on Mon 06/10/2014 18:23:44
Bob Loya is the guy you want to write.

Sure, but do you have his e-mail address? As far as I can tell it's not on their site.

BadMemory

Their website has no information on it whatsoever!

Cassiebsg

[rumpus mode on]
It's a puzzle you need to solve... (roll)
[/rumpus mode off]
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Gribbler

MiteWiseacreLives!

I'd try it if there is an inventory, and if I had a PlayStation....:-\

TheBitPriest

You beat me to the punch, Gribbler.  Here's the article from my morning feed:

http://gamerant.com/kings-quest-reboot-trailer/

When I read it, I thought, "ASGers:  Your jobs are safe."  :)

Maybe it'll be like Fable III.   Not a bad format...  but...

Cassiebsg

I never ever cared much for action-adventure games, so this does not make me think "need to have! need to play!"... Will wait and see, but am not holding my breath in the hopes that it's the type of game I wish to play.

Radiant

Well, the Leisure Suit Larry reboot was also an action game, and that one turned out fine...

...wait :shocked:

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Radiant on Sun 07/12/2014 10:17:29
Well, the Leisure Suit Larry reboot was also an action game, and that one turned out fine...

...wait :shocked:

Well if this one is the Heart-of-Darkness kind (with a proper length, that is) it could be cool. Not very King's Quest, though.

Gribbler

I mean, what's the point of making a game called King's Quest if not for the nostalgic fans? They chose to make it a colorful platformer - now KQ fans don't care, and their targed audience didn't probably even hear about a game called King's Quest so why calling it that? It's like rebooting a Doom game and make it turn-based strategy. Seems like they're just making a action game that could sell more and calling it KQ to get any media traction. If it's "Wizard-boy and the dragon" nobody cares, right?

Adeel

I'll be a part of minority here. I guess it's a good thing that I'm not a traditional adventure game player, then. Because I don't feel nostalgic when it comes to any Sierra or LucasArts titles, except perhaps Leisure Suit Larry.

Without being biased with nostalgia, I can easily tell that the game looks great so far. The art style is definitely an interesting one. I don't mind action adventure games, in fact I really like them. So, whether it turns out to be an action-adventure game or point-and-click adventure game, either way I'm quite pleased with how the things are turning out at the moment.

I sincerely hope it is released for PC too.

Cassiebsg

Adeel, frankly I can't see why you mean you are "part of a minority"... I didn't see any posts saying the game looked bad or that the art style is awful... What we said is "It's not type of game KQ is knowns for, not the type of game _we_ are interested in, and might as well have been called something else, cause it would be all the same for the generation that does want to play platforms and/or action-adventure games.

It's like now a days, people don't dare get something done with a brand new name, we just need to reboot everything. It's sooo much easier to just grab a random established name and then just do something completely different to a completely different audience. Instead of just saying "Okay, we're picking up this old concept, update it to today's graphics, get rid of all that boring puzzle solving and walking around, we need to run and jump and be super active, oh but we've kept the name! Surely that must count for 90% of the game already right? Right?" (roll)

Adeel

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Mon 08/12/2014 07:14:54
Adeel, frankly I can't see why you mean you are "part of a minority"... I didn't see any posts saying the game looked bad or that the art style is awful... What we said is "It's not type of game KQ is knowns for, not the type of game _we_ are interested in, and might as well have been called something else, cause it would be all the same for the generation that does want to play platforms and/or action-adventure games.

The explanation to my post lies in this paragraph itself. I didn't mean to say that you guys hate the game just because it looks bad and/or the art style is awful. Forgive me, if it sounded that way. By being a part of minority, I meant to say that I'm one of those few adventure gamers who wouldn't mind playing the game and are genuinely interested in it (since almost all whom I know have been kinda turned off by the game). Sure, it might be different than the former games but that's not going to stop us from playing it. :)

It's like now a days, people don't dare get something done with a brand new name, we just need to reboot everything. It's sooo much easier to just grab a random established name and then just do something completely different to a completely different audience. Instead of just saying "Okay, we're picking up this old concept, update it to today's graphics, get rid of all that boring puzzle solving and walking around, we need to run and jump and be super active, oh but we've kept the name! Surely that must count for 90% of the game already right? Right?" (roll)

I agree with this part. Games these days greatly lack originality. Nowadays, we see sequels and sequels of the games being released whilst original ideas are rarely worked on. I think it might have also have to do with the current mentality of today's average gamer.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind the reboot of those adventure games into an entirely different genre, if it has got potential. Take 'Police Quest', for example. Now the very concept of this game has got loads of potential and, given the technology we have now, it can be created into a stunning sandbox game like GTA games (I'm aware games like these already exist but they aren't on par with the concept of Police Quest - especially Police Quest 1). Calling that game "Police Quest" wouldn't do injustice to the original game, imho. Because it can be seen as homage to the original game. It can also be seen a pleasant way to introduce "new gamers" to the original adventure game too. Same goes for 'Sam and Max', 'Indiana Jones', 'Monkey Island', etc.

Radiant

Well, it's not exactly new. The earliest example I can think of is PacLand. Released back in 1984, it is a platform game in the style of Super Mario Bros, although it actually predates SMB by a few months. It's cute, it's challenging, it's well built and playable. The problem is, it's not Pac-man. It's a side scrolling platformer and it has absolutely nothing to do with the dot-eating maze runner. The result of that was disappointed fans and negative reviews, and that's probably one reason why everybody knows SMB and most people haven't heard of Pac-Land. If they had picked a different name and a new protagonist, this would likely have been different.

So yeah, it's quite common for bigshot CEOs to reuse a name for pretty much everything. The point is that this rarely works.

Anyway, I enjoy a good platformer and would be happy to play a fairy-tale based platform game. I'd just prefer if they didn't call it King's Quest :)

Adeel

Just for the record, I've had emulated Pac-Land a long time ago when I was a proud owner of a Pentium II machine. I don't know about others but, personally, I really liked that game.

Snarky

Platforming isn't inherently opposed to the "essence" of KQ (remember that #&*@! bean stalk in the first game). It's really too early to judge whether it will be a proper KQ game from just this trailer.

Anyway, even if there are examples of series that try to jump genre (or significantly change their style or mechanics) unsuccessfully, there are also plenty of ones that have managed it, from (World of) Warcraft to Paper Mario to Sim City/The Sims to GTA, Metroid and Duke Nukem upon going 3D, to X-Com, to Resident Evil.

A game isn't good just because it sticks with the same mechanics, and isn't bad just because it doesn't.

Adeel

Another series which successfully made the transition is Fallout Series. From being turn based, isometric RPG to 3D FPS/Third Person Open World RPG. While some criticized the change, many welcomed the change and it developed a faithful fan following.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk