The Lone Planet

Started by CNC_Acolythe, Sun 10/08/2014 19:54:03

Previous topic - Next topic

CNC_Acolythe

The Lone Planet

(Updated 06.09.2015)

Fourteen century of Fourth Space Era. Empire that once united mankind is shattered. Its knowledge almost lost and its citizens split into many factions. Great War is long gone, but small conflicts are common in these times. Some fight for resources, some for ideologies, some for survival…

Michael Starmik is a citizen of a small colony world that was part of  ASKA Trading League. His planet was recently annexed by FEM, also known as Matriarchate. For a long time, he felt like something is missing in his life. That was the reason why he enlisted on the scientific expedition beyond the borders of his solar system. Unfortunately his low social status only earned him position of low-class worker. So far he did not discovered anything, due to constant overtime work. But that will soon change.

And even if the expedition will not go particularly well, he will soon make his own discovery...

About the game:
This will be first chapter for my game, that will introduce the story and basic feeling of the game. When I was making this game, I've had a lot of inspiration - from classic point&click adventures to games like Imperium Galactica as well as some books. But the main two inspirations will probably be Legend of Kyrandia and Gobliiins. Legend of Kyrandia was one of the first adventure games that stayed in my memory when I was a child. I liked puzzles and even the fact, that game lets you to make some fatal mistake at the beginning and does not tell you about it. Don't worry, I'm not going to put that in my game, but I'd like to introduce something similar. Gobliiins are bit different, but they were fun to play too. Best part about Gobliiins is (was) searching for solutions - you had a lot of fun when finding the right way to next level, watching all the animations of biting animals etc. But once you knew the way, you've lost part of the fun.
I'm using something from both games (sort of) - Main Quest puzzles are (or at least should be) playable without any deceitful places and you will not discover after half hour of playing that you have made some mistake at the beginning and you need to start again. All will work in the usual manner and only obstruction will be occasional possibilty of death. The same goes for the main story - it will be told mostly around main quest, so you will not miss any key parts if you won't check every pixel on screen and won't combine everything with everything (and everyone).
But for the people that like this kind of sniffing around (like myself) I have placed few "side-puzzles", that will reward you with another poor joke or some additional information - about some characters, game universe or recent events. Small things, but they will be there. And for this purpose, I have decided to add occasional pixel-hunting. Nothing serious, but a few small items there and there, that MIGHT (or might not :grin:) be useful in some small puzzle later to reveal some small secret.

And that's it! You will have a nice little game that will offer a lot of fun for normal players and a lot of fun fun for players that will sniff around a bit more.

Development status:
FINISHED

Thank you all!

Screenshots from the latest version:

"Holy central unit!"

AnasAbdin

Well well... you got your first fan here :-D Great screenies.
Good luck with this.

Cassiebsg

I call for second fan then! 

Good luck! I'm a sucker for Scifi! ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Michael2968

I played the alpha version of your game and I thought you did a very good job on it. I look forward to playing the full game when you release it.

kconan

Nice!  I like that bendy hallway.  Good luck with development!

m0ds

Nice! Although I found the English a little rough and long winded in places, I really loved your attention to animations, it looks really nice :)

CNC_Acolythe

Thank you all. :) I had very productive weekend and it looks like that by the end of a month, there will be new alpha-version with 5 playable rooms and Czech translation. And the game could be completed by autumn.

Quote from: Mods on Fri 15/08/2014 12:38:45
Nice! Although I found the English a little rough and long winded in places, I really loved your attention to animations, it looks really nice :)

- Yes, I know. :-D I will work on it, maybe find someone to help me with it. :)
"Holy central unit!"

CNC_Acolythe

Hi everybody.

I have decided not to upload more playable versions, because most of the game interactive part is finished and I think it will be better to upload it once it is nearly complete and with your help find any bugs or mistakes i might have overlooked. It should not take long now. As a compensation i give you two images of GUI - options screen and inventory. :-D

Options:

Inventory:
"Holy central unit!"

splat44

Great graphic and I managed getting out of room including getting data card from robot!

I notice a typo on start menu, we see "Credist" I believe it should "Credits". I understand this isn't a critic are but just thought I mention this!

About new inventory GUI from latest screenshot, what's the "options button is all about?

CNC_Acolythe

Quote from: splat44 on Sat 20/09/2014 04:37:14
Great graphic and I managed getting out of room including getting data card from robot!

I notice a typo on start menu, we see "Credist" I believe it should "Credits". I understand this isn't a critic are but just thought I mention this!

About new inventory GUI from latest screenshot, what's the "options button is all about?

Thanks for notice! I found lot of typos myself. :grin: I plan to check all text in game once it is finished. I will probably ask someone good in english. :smiley:

As for the "options" button, it simply switch from inventory GUI to options GUI. In 99% it's useless, but i kind of like having that option. :grin: There is lot more in the game now, and I'm thinking of uploading another alpha, for you guys to check it out.
Edit:
I have changed "options" to "utilities" and added extra GUI - more in the comming alpha.

New alpha-version is comming. It will have 7 playable locations, most of the graphics and texts will be hopefully finished too. I will be uploading it in two weeks,and I will need few tester to check it out. :)
"Holy central unit!"

splat44

I've found a glitch, I noted we can used the blue with liquid several times on Robot in order getting ID card. I would think that once is sufficient. When robot mention bolts in cup, I think by combining bolts with cup from inventory should the way to complete this!

Ok, I am doing some beta testing with other games and testing alpha won't be a problem. You can reply here or by PM when next version is ready!

Quote from: CNC_Acolythe on Wed 24/09/2014 19:19:29
Quote from: splat44 on Sat 20/09/2014 04:37:14

Thanks for notice! I found lot of typos myself. :grin: I plan to check all text in game once it is finished. I will probably ask someone good in english. :smiley:

As for the "options" button, it simply switch from inventory GUI to options GUI. In 99% it's useless, but i kind of like having that option. :grin: There is lot more in the game now, and I'm thinking of uploading another alpha, for you guys to check it out.
Edit:
I have changed "options" to "utilities" and added extra GUI - more in the comming alpha.

New alpha-version is comming. It will have 7 playable locations, most of the graphics and texts will be hopefully finished too. I will be uploading it in two weeks,and I will need few tester to check it out. :)

Cassiebsg

Oh, nice!
Looking forward to more... :D
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

CNC_Acolythe

Hi everyone!

I made some progress, but not much. I have very little free and productive time, but I'm trying to make most of it. I have uploaded latest aplha, the link is at the first post, and also here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/3d37kadj72ty34i/LonePlanet_Alpha_2014_11_08.zip

And here some screenshots as well.

Worshop:

Storage (still in making):

The Look-out:

That is all for now,
have a nice day!
"Holy central unit!"

aikex222

a really interesting game waiting for the rest of it.
and found some problems :tongue:

1st problem is not really a big problem just a error with the walkable area in the captain's room
Spoiler
[close]
the 2nd can be a big problem when i save and close the game and start again and try to restore the saved game i get an error
forgot to say something is just when you try to load the game from the menu screen
Spoiler
[close]

and for last one tip :grin:
when i talk one of the option, when finished you could make them get other colour to we know that we already used that option :wink:

Mandle

Very nice game so far! Love the graphics and puzzles are cool. Just finished the Alpha test up to the end, it took me about 1 hour or so.

Had a little trouble with the:

Spoiler
Utilities option. I thought not having the pouch the captain gives you was a game bug at first as it does not appear in inventory. Maybe the game should tell the player to push the "Utilities" button to access the pouch-kit options after they receive it from the captain just to make this interface a little clearer?
[close]

I see you are going to find a proofreader to correct the English so I won't mention those issues but:

Spoiler
Sometimes there are HUGE blocks of text to read, especially right at the game start. This looks a bit unpleasing to the eye and also intimidating to read. Perhaps you should break these up into smaller blocks that appear in order as the player clicks (3-4 Display commands instead of one)? I also find it good to put a Wait(5); between concurrent Display commands as well to prevent that accidental double-click that causes the player to miss some vital info by quitting a Display text too fast.
[close]

Apart from those small issues I found no bugs that prevented me from finishing the game. Very enjoyable and thanks for the sneak-peek!

CNC_Acolythe

Hi! Me again! :grin: Thank you very much for remarks!
aikex222:
- walkable area is corrected, and I even added coloring of used talk topics, just for you. :grin:
- save error got me a little scared at first, but then I noticed a little mistake in my code, so now it's working properly - I'm very thankful that you noticed this :)
Mandle:
- both thing are making sense, and I will work on them
Spoiler
I thought about the "utility issue" - what if I made the pouch as an inventory intem, that will refer player to the utility icon? This solution seems good for me, but I would like to have it confirmed by someone else :D
[close]

I will now try to finish this part to more detail, adding more animations to characters and correcting texts to the proper state that will give player more clear description and hopefully builds up atmosphere. :)

Again thanks for helping, and here is a screenshot of the new storage room plus new character sprite for walking in down direction:

"Holy central unit!"

aikex222

Spoiler
Quote from: CNC_Acolythe on Sun 09/11/2014 19:58:06
Hi! Me again! :grin: Thank you very much for remarks!
aikex222:
- walkable area is corrected, and I even added coloring of used talk topics, just for you. :grin:
- save error got me a little scared at first, but then I noticed a little mistake in my code, so now it's working properly - I'm very thankful that you noticed this :)
Mandle:
- both thing are making sense, and I will work on them
Spoiler
I thought about the "utility issue" - what if I made the pouch as an inventory intem, that will refer player to the utility icon? This solution seems good for me, but I would like to have it confirmed by someone else :D
[close]

I will now try to finish this part to more detail, adding more animations to characters and correcting texts to the proper state that will give player more clear description and hopefully builds up atmosphere. :)

Again thanks for helping, and here is a screenshot of the new storage room plus new character sprite for walking in down direction:

[close]

glad i could be helpful :wink:
and the storage room looks way better

Mandle

As for the utilities:

Spoiler
Why not do away with the "Utilities" icon altogether if you are going to make the pouch an inventory item? Just have the Utilities menu window open when the inventory item is Looked at and/or Used on player character?
[close]

Just my personal preference of how these kind of things are often handled...

splat44

Much improvement done here and completed this alpha stage! Great job!

Here what I found:
Got food tray after looking at mess room
About storage, radio voice (image show up after getting utilities) and I don't see logic here.

Loukout area: I find strange in seeing corner of cafeteria notion here

Utilities
Spoiler
Although, I was able repairing cutter (clicking on appropriate icon, I think by using usual cutter on it should be the way to go)
[close]

Wow! Looking forward to next one

CNC_Acolythe

Hi!

I have been thinking about a utilities for a while, and I've made some changes to the way how the are handled. I made them part of the bottom line GUI. On the first screenshot, you can see the "U" icon in middle and the utility menu above it (it only shows after you press the "U" button). You can also see, that I have slightly changed bottom line graphic. Hope you like it. :D

Radio will now be entirely new GUI, with several controls and 4 different frequencies (see the pictures bellow). I'm now working on implementing this to the game.

Spoiler
No need to mention, that one of the frenquencies will be for our beloved robot. :D
[close]

On the two pictures, you can see radio GUI switched ON and OFF. I hope you like it, and I will prepare it for you to test it in-game very soon.
Have a nice day! :)

"Holy central unit!"

CNC_Acolythe

Hello!

It has been quite some time since I posted any news.  I had to finish some things before I was able to get back to my work on LP. But here I am and I have some new thing for you to test â€" if you have not forget about this game. :) Anyway, first a ling to latest version:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/iteo15bqt6v3vxd/LonePlanet_Alpha__2015_03_29.zip

And now for newly added “action part” - this is something I have decided to add to overcome some more action parts of game. Let me know what you think about it. I will now try to explain how it works, its really simple. Action part begins when you see screen like on the picture. There is main interface (01) that consists of 4 main “directional” buttons and 4 secondary buttons (the smaller ones ;) ), then you have TIMER (02) â€" Action part has limited number of turns (or actions, if you will) you can do before something bad happens. In our case, you are chased by big red monster (03)  and picture in the middle should show you your situation in undestandable way. You will then decide what direction you want to use â€" and click on it. Take your time in making decision, timer is counting only used actions, not time. Directions should correspond with things displayed on the picture, so you should not be confused. For example, on our picture monster stands on the left side. So clicking on the left button means face monster, while right side means run away. If you then click on one of the buttons, you will get first closer descrition â€" for left it would be something like “You have decided to fight the monster” and the corresponding button will change colour (04) depending on the possibility of that action to succeed. If the button would then turn green, It means you have good chance to kill the monster, but if it turns red, it means that you will probably fail. PROBABLY! Be aware that greens does not necessarily mean success and red failiure. It displays only most probable possibility. So you can still take the risk, and see what happens.

You will get the rest quite easilly. Have a nice time trying it, and let me know what you think about it. Thank you!

"Holy central unit!"

NickyNyce

I'm looking forward to this. This is right up my alley. I haven't played because I want to enjoy the whole thing at once. The screens look great, and it looks like a lot of fun.

*Rubbing hands together*

Michael2968

Hi, I just wanted to tell you that I enjoyed playing the alpha version of your game and I am looking forward to playing the full game.

Michael

Creamy

Hello,

I've played the game and I have enjoyed it so far.
The part with the robot was funny and the story is intriguing.
I've just died so I take a break for now.
Spoiler
After opening the elevator doors, I've pushed 2 buttons and *poof* I'm dead. This octagonal GUI was rather confusing.
[close]
I'll probably try it again later.
Keep up the good work!

CNC_Acolythe

Hi!

Thank you all, I'm glad you enjoyed playing. I'll try to come with more updates soon. Hopefully the game will be finished in few months. :)

Creamy:

Spoiler
Yes, I know it can be quite confusing, I'm still working on this and I'm trying to find way to do more clearly, or less dangerously. If you have some ideas or suggestions, feel free to tell me.
[close]

"Holy central unit!"

CNC_Acolythe

Hello everyone!

Sadly, I have managed to damage my latest game data (Don't ask why, It's embarasing story.. ), just before I was planning to upload new update to action sequence for you. To make the bad news even more tragic, my last backup is dating month back. :embarrassed: But there are also good news - sprites are allright, so I "only" lost my coding and maybe few texts. But with my latest playable upload and memory of what I did since then, I will be able to bring it all back in about two weeks. I'm really sory for the delay, especially since I worked on it whole easter holidays... :sad:

See you soon with restored version!
"Holy central unit!"

NickyNyce

Glad to hear it's a minor delay. I also did this not too long ago, but thankfully not all was lost. Looking forward to this. I'm sure you'll be saving on a more regular basis, so these issues hopefully taught you a valuable lesson at minimal cost.

CNC_Acolythe

Helo!

Here it is, I managed to rebuild most of the lost things! I will upload working version because I need your opinion on the "action sequence". For those of you who would like to help me by sharing their opinion:

SPOILER ALERT!!

Spoiler
I would like you to get quickly to elevator shaft and test "action sequence" that follows after you cut hole through elevatr door. I have kept all the developers tools active, so you can quickly get there if you want to - when you are in the first room, just press CTRL+X and select room 301 - save first and then try it few times. I tried to make it as intuitive as possible - I have switched from limited number of action to timer - sou you have approximately 18 seconds on each part, but you will be warned when time limit is coming to end. If you would be so kind to test it and then tell me what you think. :)
[close]

That will be all, more will follow shortly. :) Thank you. :)

Latest version:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/rv2gho8cuyfr981/LonePlanet_Alpha_2015_04_12.zip
"Holy central unit!"

CNC_Acolythe

Hello,

Today I'm uploading working torso of the game. All the locations are there, storyline is complete, you can play from start to the end, including intro and outro. All the rooms are playable, all items that you can get are there. What is missing are some character animations, several animations will get more sprites to make them more smooth, some objects don't have descriptions attached to them jet - but none of this is important for story or any riddle - and I might add some additional animations to improve atmospehere - blinking consoles, leaking water, etc.
I will also rewrite some of the dialogues so that they will make more sense. But I'm not planing any changes to the overall state of the game, so there will be no drastical changes to sense of dialogues.

Therefore I would like to ask anyone who would like to help me to try to play it few times and give me some feedback. I'm doing all I can to catch all the bugs, but any help would be welcome. I will now focus on finishing the game and hopefully it will be complete in less than a month, if everything will go well.

So finally, it's comming! :)
Thank you for help.

Here is link for latest version:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/2su529jv7igwde0/LonePlanet_Alpha_2015_04_27.zip

"Holy central unit!"

AnasAbdin

Hi CNC_Acolythe!
I started playing and it looks pretty so far :-D just one little question: why did you decide to release it before adding the few details you mentioned?

CNC_Acolythe

Well.. :grin::grin: Fistly - I need you guys to look for bugs that I might have missed (I bet they are there), secondly - the "few details" i mention will still make big difference in the final version (mainly character animations and sounds) and thirdy - I don't look at this as the release, It's just more consistent alphaverson. :D ;)
"Holy central unit!"

CNC_Acolythe

You got me thinking , Mr. AnasAbdin... :D  I have decided, that apart from making finished version .. well .. finished, I will add at least two new locations. :) So that you still have something to look forward to. :)
"Holy central unit!"

CNC_Acolythe

Hi everybody!

I must apologise for neglecting this post a little in the past few month(s). But I have not been neglecting development and I'm happy to say that game is very close to finish now. :) I am waiting for some final spellcheck and in the meantime I'm putting more sounds to the game. It gained quite a lot: I've added few new locations, one more "big" puzzle and filled it with much more "atmo-animations" (that small animated windows that pops up sometimes). I will update main post sometime today with some new pictures and information, so if you haven't forgot about this - stay tuned. :D

Have a nice day!
"Holy central unit!"

CNC_Acolythe

"Holy central unit!"

AnasAbdin

Congrats!
And I'm the first to download and play :-D :-D :-D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk