New book cover

Started by jannar85, Mon 11/08/2014 21:40:26

Previous topic - Next topic

jannar85

Hey, another bigger project this time.
A collection of short stories (Novellesamling in norwegian) is due to be released soon, but I'd like some feedback before making it final. I know the dimensions of the cover is wrong, but I'll fix that near the release.

What I want is feedback. The title "Vendepunktet" means "Turning point" in English :)

I appreciate any feedback! Negative or positive!
And thanks for any help!

Veteran, writer... with loads of unreleased games. Work in progress.

selmiak

when walking and walking until I reach water I either declare it a turning point or, if I really want it, I swim! ;) 8-)

Eric

The big thing for me: allow space at the edges of your composition. Don't align Novellsamling to the very bottom.

Cassiebsg

I agree with Eric, and add that maybe that text should have a more subtle font/color. It's like it's screaming at you, compared with the "relaxed" font/color used in the author and title name.
Maybe making it slightly transparent, so it blends more with the BG picture?
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Anian

Don't get offended, but I don't know how much you know about printing, so going from the ground up:
...that's not really how an entire book cover looks like when it's being prepared. Is it for a digital or printed book?
So if it's for a printed book, you should know the dimensions before designing, you need to leave some area outside of the printed area (called bleed, that take into account mistakes during cutting of the paper) and it seems like you didn't even leave enough of a margin from the edge (you don't want any important info near the edges, not only because of the cutting issues, but generally you need to leave space for people to hold the book and not cover information and also with time books get damaged around edges). Example of book covers https://www.google.hr/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=book%20cover

Now the design part:
it's kind of hard to comment since we don't know the general theme of the story collection. Also if you're selling this (and in general when publicising), be careful of the font license.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk