Too cartoony?

Started by bgordebak, Mon 18/08/2014 11:22:00

Previous topic - Next topic

bgordebak

I'm trying to make my first game with AGS. I couldn't come up with a good story yet for a short game. So I decided to try some different characters to give me some inspiration. Normally, I would draw a bit more realistically, but this guy kinda grew up on me. Do you think these type of drawings would be too cartoony for a game? For example for a game dealing with more serious issues?

And what do you think of the drawing in general?

CaptainD

Personally definitely don't think it looks "too cartoony", and I don't see a problem with this style of graphic in a more serious game.  The tone of a game is far more about how you develop the story and characters than the aesthetics.  Looks fine to me!

bgordebak

Quote from: CaptainD on Mon 18/08/2014 11:29:13
Personally definitely don't think it looks "too cartoony", and I don't see a problem with this style of graphic in a more serious game.  The tone of a game is far more about how you develop the story and characters than the aesthetics.  Looks fine to me!

Thanks. Then the search is over. We have a character. Now... on to the story.

NickyNyce

I think raising his belt line would make it a bit less cartoony.

Andail

I don't quite understand what "too cartoony" even means. Too cartoony for what?

It sure is cartoony, but that's not a bad thing. However, there are certainly things you could improve. For instance, for being a non-realistic drawing, it's unnecessarily bland. Typically, cartoon characters have rather strong personal features, that are easily recognized. You could either work on making his appearance more interesting, or you could exaggerate his posture and expression.

What resolution is the game meant to be in? The sprite is very large now, and the lineart is thick and unrefined. The shading in his face doesn't work. You need to find better ways to apply shadows, because now he just looks dirty, or like he's suffering from some skin condition.

Keep working!

bgordebak

Thanks for the replies.

I should work more I guess. I can work on this one, or draw some other characters, which I do, but this guy looked like a loser a bit, which I liked.

I agree that shades on his face don't work, and I should have drawn a more distinguishable outline.

But developing characters already don't make much sense without an idea to expand. So, I'll work on the story first, I think.

Gribbler

The style kinda reminds me of Puzzle Agent. I don't know, maybe it's those eyes.

Eric

I disagree with Captain D -- I think the art style goes a long way toward defining the tone of your game. Are you doing a hardboiled private detective game? This art style will inevitably lighten that mood. You can still do serious and cartoony, but you need to be aware of how the art style sets the expectations for the tone your game will provide.

CaptainD

Quote from: Eric on Mon 18/08/2014 17:56:47
I disagree with Captain D

How dare you, sir!!  I could easily do a serious game using my Captain Disaster graphics.  Well... okay... maybe I oculdn't.  (roll)  But I still feel you could create a serious game with "cartoony" graphics.

Eric

Quote from: CaptainD on Mon 18/08/2014 19:52:19
How dare you, sir!!  I could easily do a serious game using my Captain Disaster graphics.  Well... okay... maybe I oculdn't.  (roll)  But I still feel you could create a serious game with "cartoony" graphics.

I don't disagree with that! I am sure I could think of examples if I had a couple of extra minutes. But I think you have to work extra hard to change those perceptions. Sometimes, that can be done to great effect. Something like Persepolis, maybe, is demonstrative of a creation where the simple cartoony graphics inform the serious story.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk