Duke Grabowski, Mighty Swashbuckler Adventure

Started by IndieRetroNews, Tue 26/08/2014 13:27:41

Previous topic - Next topic

IndieRetroNews

QuoteWhen the word was out that there was a Monkey Island style game on Kickstarter, I just had to see for myself, and sure enough there it was! Duke Grabowski, Mighty Swashbuckler by Venture Moon Industries is a brand new 2.5D point and click adventure game for PC, Mac, Linux and Ouya that has a very strong LucasArts and Autumn Moon Entertainment flavour.

Source
http://www.indieretronews.com/2014/08/duke-grabowski-mighty-swashbuckler.html

Kickstarter
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/venture-moon/duke-grabowski-mighty-swashbuckler-point-and-click
The latest in Kickstarter, Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

Frodo

Already backed it.  Looks so amazing!  :grin:

Please vote for it on the GOG WISHLIST  :cheesy:

venture-moon

Hi AGSers, we thought you'd like to see more from our game. We've got less than two weeks left on our Kickstarter, so if you like what you see, become a backer!

Update: Our Kickstarter was a success!

"Duke Grabowski, Mighty Swashbuckler!" Kickstarter ends soon!

Bill Tiller (The Dig, Curse of Monkey Island, A Vampyre Story, Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island) is designer and art director.
Dave Grossman (Monkey Island 1&2, DOTT, Sam and Max at Telltale, Tales of Monkey Island) is advising on our design and puzzles.
Alyssa Clark (MTV's Teen Wolf) is helping with our dialog. She's also ex-LucasArts.
Larry Ahern (Monkey Island 2, DOTT, Full Throttle, Curse of Monkey Island) is going to cameo as a pirate in our tavern.
Mike Cachuela (The Nightmare Before Christmas, Ratatouille, Coraline) will advise on Duke Grabowski's comic-book style cutscenes.
Gene Mocsy (A Vampyre Story, Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island, 1954: Alcatraz, Perils of Man) is co-designing and writing.
Jeremiah Grant (A Vampyre Story, Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island, Rime and many feature films) is our technical director.

Many of you have backed us already -- thank you!

venture-moon

WIP background for Duke Grabowski. This is the inn where Duke meets Jane, a true swashbuckler.

venture-moon

Here's the office of Sheriff Nancy Steele, where Duke must plead his case. He's going to need your help negotiating.

Can you find the LucasArts detail that Bill snuck in?

Help bring this to life by backing our Kickstarter!

Fitz

I spy with my blood-shot eye... a little white bunny!

venture-moon

You got it, Fitz!

Here's another Bill Tiller background in progress:

Don't you want to see this in color someday?

venture-moon

Here, Duke wrestles a hat-wearing gorilla. (Contrast increased to bring out the detail.)

venture-moon

A deadly jungle shortcut. What beasts or brigands will confront Duke here?

Our Kickstarter campaign ends October 6th!

venture-moon

If Duke rows away, he'll never become a swashbuckler. Give up or go on?

We need your help to make this game!
Our Kickstarter

selmiak

damned, this looks real gorgeous, sadly I have no credidcard and can't kickstart, otherwise I'd send some (swash)bucks your way.
But I love it when a gameproject hasn't reached it's goal close to the end of the campaign, tense times, eh?! Keep the good stuff comming and I wish you all the best of luck and success with the kickstarter!

cat

Since I played Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island I will not back this. Sure, the graphics were great and there was good voiceacting, but the puzzles were arbitrary and there was absolutely no effort put into programming or testing.
I'm quite confident that the game will be released, but I don't think it will be of high quality.

venture-moon

Selmiak, glad you like the look! Our Kickstarter was successful and we "enjoyed" a dramatic finish.
Cat, we respect your opinion, and hope our final product will speak for itself.

This is a WIP of the interior of the Inn. The contrast has been increased here to bring out the lighter details.

Gribbler

Kasander

Quote from: Gribbler on Fri 10/10/2014 09:05:27
I got to ask. Why a Polish surname?

GRIBBLER DUDE!!! why U not get it?? We Polacks are so awesome so they finally realize this and make a game with one! And we make best pirates ever this is so true! Just reading this news make me I wanna pirate this game so hard!!1! And then maybe I play with it, yes?

I kid, I kid, you know I did :P

On a more serious note... Although I've once stated here (in Nelly Cootalot 2 thread I think) that I have a soft spot for all things pirate / marine (since my early days with Sid Meier's Pirates and Monkey Island on Atari ST), sadly I'm siding with Cat on this one. Having only played Vampyre Story instead of GPoVI, but I was equally unimpressed.

Polish jokes or not, this looks like another mainstream game for kids that lacks a bit of originality (well, except of protagonist's nationality...but from what I gather, we're dealing with stereotyping here, so it's not that much original, right? ;)) This, and I'm just not the biggest fan of ‘Disney's school of style', and that's where Bill Tiller & co. come from. I guess I'm just not the 'target audience' for this one...

Wish they'll do nicely though. Hopefully the humor will be a bit subtler than you can tell from pictures and press releases, and governor Elaine's look-alike will get a facelift so the game won't appear like just another attempt of ‘privateering' Monkey Island franchise and its nostalgic fans (and their innocent kids ;) ).

For the sake of point'n'clicks, I hope they'll prove me wrong somehow. Meanwhile, I'll set my sails in expectation of other games (among them, Nelly Cootalot 2).

venture-moon

Quote from: Gribbler on Fri 10/10/2014 09:05:27
I got to ask. Why a Polish surname?
Bill named him Grabowski because that's the nickname for Chicago Bears football fans. (Bill grew up in Chicago.)

Bill wrote in one of our updates, "Demigod coach Mike Ditka came up with that name, probably due to the fact that Grabowski is a common working class name in Chicago, where a lot of Polish immigrants settled. It seems like a great name for a big linebacker-sized tough guy -- and Chicago is known as the 'city of big shoulders,' and Duke has some pretty big shoulders."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk