How do you guys get back into the swing of things?

Started by Weston_Kaunk, Wed 27/08/2014 06:29:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Weston_Kaunk

Do you guys have trouble getting back to work on your project when you're depressed? I mean, of course it gets hard; it's just I know I feel better working on my stuff even when it doesn't go anywhere, I just have trouble getting myself motivated recently. What do you guys do to help get motivated again to get through your projects?
tldr: I say too much
http://westonkaunk.itch.io/

Ibispi

Personally, I even get more motivated to finish my game when I become depressed, because I know I will fell happier and as if I had done something when I finally finish it. Try to think this way, it might work! :smiley:

Retro Wolf

I don't get depressed, I do have problems with motivation sometimes. Sometimes it's just a case of taking a break from the software for a few weeks, do some other stuff.

There's nothing worse than sitting there staring at the screen, with AGS or an art program open, doing nothing. Go do another hobby for a bit, watch some movies, play some videogames! Sometimes you come back to games development with fresh ideas that other activities have inspired.

Fitz

Yeah, what Retro Wolf said. I lost motivation while making Gray more than once. This one time, I stopped for a whole month -- and went on to play Just Cause 2: doing all available main missions, side missions, races, taking over all the 250+ military bases, settlements, gathering all of the zillion collectibles and destroying a gazillion of things. After that, going back to doing small pixel-by-pixel animations didn't seem that much of a hassle.
Another thing that really helps is doing some short piece -- MAGS being the most obvious thing, but I also enjoy the Fortnightly Writing Competitions immensely, they sometimes push me in directions I would've never otherwise taken. Also, getting something done -- no matter how small -- boosts your confidence.

NickyNyce

The best way that I stay on track is to try and do even the smallest thing for my game until the inspiration kicks in again. It's incredibly difficult to charge right through making a game without getting side tracked. I also try not to ever get too far away from my game, so I don't grow apart from it. I think it's refreshing to take some time off, but if the days start to pile up, draw some new animations, BG's, cursors, inventory items...something to keep you connected and moving forward.

Adeel

This.

This is one of the main reasons why I have stopped using AGS altogether. I've had two of my projects going on. One was MAGS' one while the other was a RON game.

I think it's almost impossible to recover when you're demotivated and/or depressed too much. Possible but quite hard. That's my experience.

Hope you find motivation and recover from your depression soon.

Ghost

MAGS has gotten me "back into AGS" two times now, I tend to delay/abandon projects where I am on my own shedule much more often than those where you constantly work on the seat of your pants. That, and getting a couple of testers that just toss feedback of off you is nice- if they are good you'll find yourself in a state of "I can't fail them / I will SHOW them!"

I also like to put a couple of rewarding animations into my games and make then early. That's just some little reward for yourself: "Darn this is a wreck right now but once they see my little zombie-girl crack a smile they'll all be like, yay, and I WANT that to happen. Where's the caffeine?"

Some games just don't get made though, and that's okay too. No use fretting over that abandoned project, there was a reason for it to fail, and you can always return to it.

Dadalus

I have not completed an AGS game yet, so my following comments are based on general experience.

I do suffer from lack of motivation, like most people its easy to work on something when you enjoy it, harder when the shine has worn off and the slog begins. At stages like this I try to rekindle my passion for a project. Perhaps step away from it and focus on the things that fired you up in the first place. Think about why your doing it, if its for fun, and your not having fun maybe its time to stop and revisit it later on.

Only you know what works for you, and there are some great suggestions that have already been made, which you could try out.

I wish you the best.

This has been a 'Mouse fetishist' approved message.

Baron

The only thing I ever found motivational was progress.  The more progress you make, the more you want to make.  Unfortunately, the reverse is also true: the old negative feedback spiral.  So my advice is to pick something interesting on your game and finish that bit (animation, background, puzzle coding, dialog, anything!).  Once you start rolling again, the momentum is often self-sustaining.

Lasca

Lots of good tips in here! I personally think a lot like Baron & Ghost. I also like too play other ags games, or read books, watch movies, look at art that somehow relate to my game. Or try to create something related to my game, but not directly "useful" in the game - concept art, sketches, etc. When I lack motivation I also like to do something completly different, like go out for a long walk, play with my daughter or go to the gym. Actually doing physical activity always helps to get those dopamines swinging. But all of this depends on what kind of depression your talking about. Depression can sometimes make it impossible to motivate yourself to do the things that might actually help you through depression. Thats why depression suck so much.
Personally my roughest game-realted deoression struck me AFTER completing my game (the one and only), for several reasons.

Sidenote:
@Ghost
QuoteI also like to put a couple of rewarding animations into my games and make then early. That's just some little reward for yourself: "Darn this is a wreck right now but once they see my little zombie-girl crack a smile they'll all be like, yay, and I WANT that to happen. Where's the caffeine?"
I absolutely LOVED "Chance of the Dead". It was actually the game that made me want to do my own AGS game. Thank you for creating that.

Ghost

Quote from: Lasca on Wed 27/08/2014 17:51:41
I absolutely LOVED "Chance of the Dead". It was actually the game that made me want to do my own AGS game. Thank you for creating that.

Thanks, and this was exactly the game I was talking about when I was making my examples. It was a MAGS and after having all the "long pipe" innuendo AND the little dog animations in, there was no way to NOT get the game done. The dog alone kept me motivated for three days or so.
And having m0ds make the music while I was still working on the game proper was really cool, too. That created an extra spark. The same with Alien Cow Rampage. Having a unique music and hearing it while you shape the game, there's something totally radically awesome to that.

Slasher

When you are passionate about something you just do it. Of course there are moments you need a break for a while. Then you come back fully fired up itching to put you recent ideas into action (yes, even off ags your mind can work on ideas).

I spent most part of a year (due to illness) being unable to do much (maybe 30 minutes a day) as even typing became a nightmare, dizziness, weakness, a sick feeling and tiredness overcame me and I could not continue at that time.

So now, even though I have a way to go with my illness, I spend all the time I can and it excites me and to be honest AGS  has been a godsend in terms of keeping me occupied and using my mind and body. Without it I may have become even more a vegetable (laugh)

So, when the going gets tough, back off and try later... but always return (nod)

Ideas are two a penny... Good ideas cost a bit more ;)

If there is a story then there is always a game, however absurd.

slasher

OneDollar

I've finished 5 games in the last 7 years, and 4 of those were MAGS projects. Time limits are a good motivator. On bigger projects you could try the 'sprint' development model where you pick something you want to achieve then set a time limit to do it in. Just don't get depressed when you realise how long everything's going to take to finish!

The one game that wasn't done for MAGS took me about 3 years to finish, and I reckon I must have taken a 6 month break then later a 2 year break. There were two things that got me to come back and finish it. First I posted some artwork in a Release Something thread and Ponch kept asking me about it. Second I met up with a friend who was also into game development, and we had a long conversation about making games that really fired me up and made me want to make something again. People who believe in you or your game and provide encouragement or inspiration are really helpful.

I also totally agree with Ghost: if there are parts of your game that you think are really cool it can be a good motivator to focus on finishing them, then once they're done the desire to show them off is a great motivator to finish the rest of the game too.

Finally take a break and go watch or play things that inspire or help you capture the moods or themes you are going for. So, if you want to make a game with a Saturday Morning Cartoon feel, watch a bunch of Saturday Morning Cartoons. Look at art in the styles you want to emulate. Play the adventure games that made you want to make an adventure game. And while you're doing all of this think about what it is about those things that you like so much and how you could put them into your own game. Oh, and don't let yourself fall into the trap of thinking "I'll never be as good as this" - of course you won't be as good as the professionals on your first try at something, but the only way to learn and improve is by making stuff anyway.

Baron

Dualnames

I make love to qptain nemo every other night, it helps. Sometimes, Ponch likes to join, and we always let bici watch.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Baron

AprilSkies

www.apemarina.altervista.org

Ponch

SilverSpook

Often the answer to life's riddles is: Drink more coffee.

I adhere to this aphorism with extreme prejudice.  Unfortunately my pancreas exploded the other day, but that's what those newfangled 3D printed organs are for.

Baron

Let me be the second person on the Forum to say that I like the cut of this SilverSpook's jib. :=

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk