How do you guys get back into the swing of things?

Started by Weston_Kaunk, Wed 27/08/2014 06:29:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghost

Quote from: SilverSpook on Mon 01/09/2014 22:21:25
Often the answer to life's riddles is: Drink more coffee.

Quote from: Baron on Tue 02/09/2014 02:44:45
Let me be the second person on the Forum to say that I like the cut of this SilverSpook's jib. :=

I toast to that. With coffee.

SilverSpook

I love this community already!  Free coffee all around!  :) (nod);)

I +1 Ghost's idea about focusing on that cool thing about your game.  I think I need to go back and rediscover that cool thing, and just get the prototype version of it slapped together.

In seriousness, I have been having trouble scrounging up the motivation to work on my project.  The previous engine I was working in, Shadowrun Returns, apparently went through a brief honeymoon phase (read: 75% off Steam sale).  Since the end of summer, there's nothing left of the community but tumbleweed and orphaned brainchildren.  I refreshed the workshop forum every six hours for about five days before finally signing the divorce papers.  Packed up my boxes of C#, Google Doc Storyline and .PNG photoalbum, went back onto the game engine market, saddened but resolved. 

To quote a favorite author of mine, William Gibson, "A little camaraderie goes a long way."  I've already found a second wind, a new enthusiasm in the past 36 hours since happening upon AGS.  So thank you all for being here, responsive, and welcoming.  Hopefully we will all go a long way.

Ghost

Well, if you managed to get results out of Shadowrun Returns' editor, then AGS will be an easy hurdle to... do to whatever it is you are doing with hurdles to make it past them... do you straddle these? Cross them? Jump? Well you should do that just fine (nod)

Quote from: SilverSpook on Tue 02/09/2014 04:24:11In seriousness, I have been having trouble scrounging up the motivation to work on my project.

*cough*hrmph devs-anon *cough* a-choo!
(laugh)

Adeel

Let me be the second person on the Forum to say that I like the cut of this SilverSpook's jib. :=

Let me be the third person on the Forum to say that I like the cut of this SilverSpook's jib. This also means that I highly expect a comedic adventure game from him.

SilverSpook

Oh man, no pressure!  I do tend towards hyperbolic black comedy, actually.

This may be veering off topic, and I apologize if so, but where do you recommend I post what I have in the works thus far?  I'm a bit scared/embarrassed to post in the "In Production" thread just because my quasi-coherent shambles of a game concept will pale in comparison to what is there.  But, I'd also like to show a bit of what I have just to bounce some ideas around, see what might be working, what will probably not, what the adventure market is primed for or not.  The game I was working on was created, as I mentioned, in Shadowrun Returns, so it was originally being geared for a modern computer RPG.  The adventure genre seems a bit... well, less combat-centric, obviously.  The last adventure I played was Primordia, which I loved to death.

Ghost

Games in Production has a few simple rules stated in that section's Sticky Thread to ensure the game you're posting there really is "in the making". If you feel you don't meet these criteria, you can always post stuff at the Critic's Lounge, so if you have, say, just a plot outline or some concept art you can put it up there.

And, yes, it IS possible to make an RPG with AGS. There are many threads and code bits about that subject matter floating around here and it can be done. AGS is not the ideal choice (in my opinion) though, mostly because of the way a point and click adventure focuses on moving characters around a 2D landscape and triggering events on a "apply verb/item to object" basis. This is not to discourage you, but be aware that you may need to put some extra work into your project. (That can actually be very satisfying!)

Retro Wolf

Quote from: Adeel S. Ahmed on Tue 02/09/2014 05:40:15

Let me be the third person on the Forum to say that I like the cut of this SilverSpook's jib. This also means that I highly expect a comedic adventure game from him.

Who said it first? Sounds like a cool guy! ;)

Adeel

Quote from: Retro Wolf on Tue 02/09/2014 11:23:37
Quote from: Adeel S. Ahmed on Tue 02/09/2014 05:40:15

Who said it first? Sounds like a cool guy! ;)

Indeed :-D

@SilverSpook: I see that you've a great sense of humour. Why don't you try my feeble attempt? (I'm sorry for the advertisement :-[ but I only suggested it to know your feedback on humour, etc).

This will be my last off-topic here (hopefully). Sorry for going off-topic.

E: Just remember that this is my 1000th post and that too was made off-topic. I'm now honestly confused whether should I celebrate or lament this sad fact? (wtf)

Retro Wolf

I find motivation to be at its highest when I wake up in the morning. Though my shifts tend to be really early, so it's not always a convenient time to work on my games.

SilverSpook

Quote from: Adeel S. Ahmed on Tue 02/09/2014 19:07:39

@SilverSpook: I see that you've a great sense of humour. Why don't you try my feeble attempt? (I'm sorry for the advertisement :-[ but I only suggested it to know your feedback on humour, etc).

I've never been accused of being so funny; this is so novel!  Actually I tend to open that way, with humor, to avoid being cyber-lynched, as has been the case when an outsider butts into an established internet village such as this one... but those folks were far less... pleasant?  Mature?

Anyway, yes, I will have a look at your comic adventure, Adeel.  I've got a whole heap of researching to do, into this adventure fare, as I harken from the strange and absurdly violent planet of first person shooters like Deus Ex and 3D isometric post-apoc RPGs like Fallout. 

While we're on that topic... is comedy pretty popular among the adventure audiences nowadays?  Full disclosure: the games that I have created are actually only off-handedly, and darkly funny, in the way that a Kafka-esque prison labor camp dedicated to retweeting Kim Kardashian is funny.  I'm more of a cautionary tale sci-fi sort of guy, but maybe that's too stale and 2012 nowadays.

I'm debating what direction to take my current project -- Neofeud -- which one of my Deus Ex modding comrades is helping me port over to AGS.  Maybe I'll consider going a lighter comedic route.  I definitely need to cut down on the corporatese jargon and the goddamn soliloquys.  I am a total addict to the wall-of-text faux pas.  About half my time I spend chainsawing through character lines that accidentally exploded into novels and popped the dialog bubble.  I mean who the hell talks like that, outside of Quentin Tarantino characters and tenured English professors?

Retro Wolf

I'd say most of the games made here are quirky/comedy.

SilverSpook

Korean BBQ kimchee soup + choi sum + half gallon of coffee = WRECKIN' THAT GAME DEVELOPMENT CHECKLIST LIKE A WRECKING THING

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk