Educational Game

Started by Arcangel, Fri 29/08/2014 11:26:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Arcangel

Hi all, Im a Computer teacher in Intermediary School in Ponce, Puerto Rico. I try to do a educational adventure game (Science, History or Math) need some ideas.
1. Think for History something like Carmen Sandiego????
2. Math and Science not sure maybe Science start in a laboratory and for bad experiment they shrink or travel in time and need know how come back but was accident so they don't know how travel back. Math some one stole number and need resolver puzzle to free those numbers and continue to next level.

1. Need System Create 1 save game for student. Student write her/his name and this is his/her profile. % of execution, maybe small certificate if student pass with 80% or more I can print the certificate with his.her name.

Need ideas, pls. I think a small group of 15 students is good for this protect. Pls Brain Storm ....   

Engine AGS.

TY all
René Bartolomei

Cassiebsg

Carmen SanDiego is fine and lovely to play. :)
I like your idea for Science, if made in point&click, you could get the students having to collect the right ingredients (from max 2 (?) rooms, you don't want them get side tracked and exploring a huge world), and then having them mix it in the right proportions.

As for math, someone stealing numbers, doesn't sound fun and/or motivational, frankly.
Maybe throwing them in "prison" for failing to resolve a math problem, and the only way to escape would be to solve a series of math puzzle (doors?) and progress to the exit?
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Zeeg

Great Idea, Brazilian Portuguese translator for free at your service(sorry, I just came back to this forum today, last time was 2006 and i'll be offering translation  for every project I think is good). PM or send me an e-mail when needed. Thanks.
May I help you?

Dadalus

How about a maze with doors north,south east and west, doors have maths problems which students have to solve to open. Have three paths through the maze, long, medium & short. Easy problems for long path, medium problems for medium path and hard problems for shortest path. Have some form of timer counting down. Just a idea it would need some work to make it interesting.

I do remember a game from school (back in the 1980s) which was like space invaders only slower and you had to solve a maths problem to fire a missile.
This has been a 'Mouse fetishist' approved message.

Snarky

Hmmm... What kind of project is this?

-Is it because you want an educational game for your students?
-Is it just a hobby project for you?
-Is it a part of your job somehow?
-Did you mean for the students to (help) make the game? (Since you say "a small group of 15 students is good for this project")

In the first case, wouldn't it be more convenient to just have them play an existing educational game? (And if none of them offer what you want, maybe explain what's missing.) If it's a hobby, shouldn't you have a clear idea of the game you want to make? And if it's part of your job or part of a class, you need to understand how much work it is to make a full game (coding, writing, graphics, music...) and figure out whether that's realistic.

Another important question: How old are the students?

Anyway, for mathematics, how about something like Professor Layton, where you walk around the world and meet various people who have problems they need your help to solve (which would be thinly disguised math puzzles)?

For history, Carmen Sandiego is a good model. Or as another idea, how about something where you're a producer on a period TV show, and have to spot historical inaccuracies; maybe occasionally pages from the script go missing and you have to decide what should happen to remain historically accurate.

For the whole save/profile thing, just use a save game for each student. The easiest thing would be to just TELL students to always use the same save, but otherwise you could write your own save/load system so that when the game starts, it lists all existing saves(=profiles), which you can do using GetSaveSlotDescription(), with an option to create a new one. Then any time they save within the game it automatically overwrites the same slot, using SaveGameSlot().

Printing a certificate, however, is not something AGS can easily do. You could put it on the screen, take a screenshot and print that out, but even at the highest game resolutions it wouldn't look very good on paper. Your best bet would be to just make a certificate in Word/Photoshop/Illustrator or whatever, and simply copy the info from the game.

Arcangel

Thx 4 all the inputs, ideas or suggestions. 

Snarky 

1. yes is a educational game for students for my school.
2. Nope. no hobby project.
3. More or less, I talk with the director of the school and present the idea to work with small group of students to make a educational game with them. The overall idea is help students that have problems ( no like math class, or History class, and have other problems ) so they work in a complete game, they do the dialog's, characters, objects, ect. of course I help them with the script and other stuff) but they need work to make a complete game, start September 2014 and finish April 2015. ( others teacher help to (Visual art, music, English, Spanish, Math, History). They never do a game I know that. I do a small game and have a few books from that. Students have 14 - 17 years old.
4. They no help , they make the game. I help them.

Well print certificate pass. np

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk