Suggestions on Pixel Art

Started by Priabudiman, Fri 29/08/2014 13:39:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Priabudiman

Hey guys,

I want you to know that this is my first attempt ever in doing a pixel art style . I am currently working on a short title and now working on the game assets .

Idle Animation

• I need more inputs to help me improve my character, in drawings, animations, and so on.
  • I will update the post from time to time with the progress.

Thank you so much for your time!
~ PB

Mandle

The 2-pixel gaps cut out of the backs of his legs look a bit weird to me. Maybe fill them in with the same shading as the rest of the backs of his legs?

Also: what were you going for with the up-down movement? Shrugging? Breathing? It's kind of hard to tell what he is doing (for me)...

Priabudiman

Quote from: Mandle on Fri 29/08/2014 14:38:24
The 2-pixel gaps cut out of the backs of his legs look a bit weird to me. Maybe fill them in with the same shading as the rest of the backs of his legs?

Also: what were you going for with the up-down movement? Shrugging? Breathing? It's kind of hard to tell what he is doing (for me)...

I will try to fix that one, thank you, you're right, its weird!

And yes.. I'm trying to achieve a breathing animation, do you have a suggestion how i can improve that?

Hobo

Made a quick edit to give you some ideas to try out:

[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/F6iXsMB.png[/imgzoom]
Rounded up the head, brought hands closer to the body and injected some steroids into the legs (although skinny legs are fine too and much easier to animate).
And maybe the shadow should be behind him? At least the shading of legs and neck leaves an impression that the light is coming from the left.

Regarding animation: when working in low resolution, even one pixel can create an illusion of strong movement. With his current animation, the guy seems to be a bit out of breath and gasping for air. Maybe you could use something else for idle animation, like looking around or scratching himself etc.

Also, don't take my edit too seriously, since I've been actively pixelling/drawing only about a year.

Cassiebsg

That animation seems fine to me, if you use it for "Shrugging", but I would leave breathing out of it, but if you really need/want to, then maybe only getting the chest/belly in/out, as in this small scale anything else would probably be too much and out of proportions.

Also take a look at your shadowing and light source. On the main character it seems to be coming from the left, like Hobo said, yet on the left arm seems to be lit from the right, and then you add a floor shadow coming from the back.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Bavolis

It's all a style thing, really - but what's unusual about the animation for me is that his head is connected to his body, so the head would usually move with the body with each breath. Otherwise, the art itself looks very clean.

Edit: Here's an example (could be slowed down or sped up to show stress or relaxation. You could also just go two frames for more subtle breathing):

Priabudiman

Quote from: Hobo on Fri 29/08/2014 15:53:18
Made a quick edit to give you some ideas to try out:

[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/F6iXsMB.png[/imgzoom]
Rounded up the head, brought hands closer to the body and injected some steroids into the legs (although skinny legs are fine too and much easier to animate).
And maybe the shadow should be behind him? At least the shading of legs and neck leaves an impression that the light is coming from the left.

Regarding animation: when working in low resolution, even one pixel can create an illusion of strong movement. With his current animation, the guy seems to be a bit out of breath and gasping for air. Maybe you could use something else for idle animation, like looking around or scratching himself etc.

Also, don't take my edit too seriously, since I've been actively pixelling/drawing only about a year.

thanks for this one! ill go and make another tweak for the character based on your suggestion. i might go and redraw everything from beginning and re-minimalize things.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk