open an audio file in game from the compiled folder and have it play in game

Started by Slasher, Fri 29/08/2014 17:52:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Slasher

Hi,

I was wondering, is there a way to open an audio file in game from the compiled folder and have it play in game?

I have a project on hold where I am making a kids game based around cooking. The kid selects a recipe (like a cake or pizza) and then makes it.

I would like to enable the kid to record their name etc that will be inserted into the game as speech.

cheers

Crimson Wizard

AGS has a priority to use files from the folder for all game data (if they exist).
If you know the speech number, just put the file into compiled folder and name it like the speech file should be named (e.g. CHAR123.ogg)

Alternatively: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/wiki/Multimedia_functions#PlayMP3File (not sure if that's applicable for your situation)

Slasher

Cassiebsg

Hey.

Sorry about hijacking your thread slasher, but I have a somewhat related question, that mostly just requires a yes/no/maybe answer, and didn't saw a reason to start a new thread just for that.

Is it possible to make an AGS game, that uses CD music from the players CD player, where I can program that it will play track 1 in room1, track 3 in room2, etc? Or let the user add his own MP3 files (or other supported file) in a folder, so the game can use it?
Reason I'm asking is because I really don't want to release a game with copyrighted music tracks. I sincerely doubt that they might look the other way if I use copyrighted music as opposed to a fan just writing/drawing/creating something new with their property and while charging nothing for it. I can't after all claim it as mine!
This way I could let the player use his/hers own CD or MP3 files, if they have it, to get that authentic music in game. 
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Crimson Wizard

@Cassiebsg, check CDAudio function description: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/wiki/Multimedia_functions#CDAudio

I haven't met a game that would use this function yet. Maybe there were some in the past but I am not aware of them. So I don't really know how well it works, and if it works with modern systems.

On other hand, nothing prevents your player to run their music files on background with their favourite playlist application, from whichever place they like.

Cassiebsg

Cool, many thanks CW! :)
I had searched for Music and CD... music didn't gave me any useful results, and CD is too small to search. :/ Didn't thought about searching Audio...

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Fri 29/08/2014 23:08:54
I had searched for Music and CD... music didn't gave me any useful results, and CD is too small to search. :/ Didn't thought about searching Audio...
Your offline manual that comes with AGS has an "Index" tab. It allows to quickly search for topic names. Typing in "CD" would instantly reveal "CDAudio".

Cassiebsg

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Fri 29/08/2014 23:15:38
Quote from: Cassiebsg on Fri 29/08/2014 23:08:54
Your offline manual that comes with AGS has an "Index" tab. It allows to quickly search for topic names. Typing in "CD" would instantly reveal "CDAudio".

I never use the offline one, cause for some reason it is always on top, and then I can't see the editor. :( So I just have the online one open in a tab, and use that one. Will keep in mind that one can use 2 letter search offline in the future. :)

monkey0506

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sat 30/08/2014 09:40:08I never use the offline [help file (manual)], cause for some reason it is always on top, and then I can't see the editor. :(

This is a known bug feature of the editor, which can be disabled in your Preferences. ;)

Khris

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk