What's the best way to offer a service of translation?

Started by Zeeg, Fri 29/08/2014 23:11:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeeg

Hey guys, hope you can help me.

Do I post on the recruitment section(service avaiable - Brazilian Portuguese translator)? Or since I have no projects that I've already worked on I would offer directly to any dev's of a game I like? Since I can't donate money for beta testing or buy some full games I'd like to offer this service. I can translate from English to Brazilian Portuguese (PT-BR) since there are alot of Brazilians that don't know english and aren't able to play point&click adventures, not because they don't like it but mostly 'cause they can't understand the story or anything in the game.

Do I need to have some credits in smaller projects first to be trustworthy? For now I only hope to get some credits and beta testing or full game if not free.
Anyway if I want to translate a game by myself, can someone link me a how-to decompile the ags files to do it?

Thanks in advance :wink:
May I help you?

Cassiebsg

Hey.

I think your best bet is to offer your services in the recruitment forum, and be specific if you area only after paid position or also free services.

As for translating an AGS game by free initiative, I would rather contact the author(s) ask them, I'm sure most would readily provide you with the translation file and add the need code to switch language on their game.

As for me, one of the reasons I loved adventure games, was actually the opportunity to learn and improve my english due to the amount of text and (at the time) the need to write the commands. But I can understand some ppl having the need for translations.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Zeeg

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sat 30/08/2014 10:49:02

As for me, one of the reasons I loved adventure games, was actually the opportunity to learn and improve my english due to the amount of text and (at the time) the need to write the commands. But I can understand some ppl having the need for translations.

You can't compare Scandinavia to a third world country. Most of brazilians just give up if they don't understand something in the game and go play CoD or BF full portuguese :tongue:

And thank you for your attention, I'll try to contact some producers.
May I help you?

Cassiebsg

And you shouldn't think I'm Danish just cause I'm in Denmark. :P
Problem with Brasil, Spanien and other countries is that they get everything translated and/or dubbed. For me having subtitles on my TV was an incentive to learn to read fast and playing adventure games and inventive to learn and be better at English. I have a strong feeling that if I had everything in my own language back then, that I would have never been good at English. (There are times, that I actually think that I write better in English than in my own language. LOL)

Good luck with the translations though. :)

selmiak

If you are the same Zeeg that wants to translate Forge, well, afaik abisso has no plans to translate the forge chapter 1 demo, or at least not in the next few... years ;)
Other than that, just contact the author of a game you want to translate, that's the direct way.

Zeeg

Quote from: selmiak on Sat 30/08/2014 16:31:13
If you are the same Zeeg that wants to translate Forge, well, afaik abisso has no plans to translate the forge chapter 1 demo, or at least not in the next few... years ;)
Other than that, just contact the author of a game you want to translate, that's the direct way.

Yes, that's me, thanks a lot for the info!!!

Bah, I just got no answer from any author. Even offering for free. I won't judge anyone because I know it's hard to trust someone without knowing their work, how can they trust me?
May I help you?

Zeeg

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sat 30/08/2014 14:44:03
And you shouldn't think I'm Danish just cause I'm in Denmark. :P
Problem with Brasil, Spanien and other countries is that they get everything translated and/or dubbed. For me having subtitles on my TV was an incentive to learn to read fast and playing adventure games and inventive to learn and be better at English. I have a strong feeling that if I had everything in my own language back then, that I would have never been good at English. (There are times, that I actually think that I write better in English than in my own language. LOL)

Good luck with the translations though. :)

It's not about having everything translated or not, it's our educational system. In public school we can't even learn how to speak/write Portuguese properly. And there was this "This is our traditions, language, culture, we won't allow America to dominate us" crap for a long time, slowly it was fading but still remains on some people's mind.
May I help you?

Cassiebsg

f you wish, we can continue in PM, to not derail this thread more than I already did...
And feel free to write in your native language even. ;)

Zeeg

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sat 30/08/2014 23:04:50
f you wish, we can continue in PM, to not derail this thread more than I already did...
And feel free to write in your native language even. ;)

Ok sorry, so you're polyglot? Where are you from anyway? =P last OT message here I promisse :=

May I help you?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk