MAGS September: "Cross-country" (VOTE)

Started by Atelier, Mon 01/09/2014 23:30:34

Previous topic - Next topic

HanaIndiana

Mandle

Quote from: HanaIndiana on Wed 24/09/2014 04:29:18
Progress report: No comment.

:~(

This is the MAGs game I'm most looking forward to to kick back with once mine is released and I can finally relax for a bit!!!

Cassiebsg

I'm still missing Intro+Ending+GUIs+Credits...

But on the plus side, most dialogs and puzzles are done. :) I'm confident that I can get the remaining stuff done, so that the game can be playable from start to end, with all dialogs and puzzles in place (even if a few non-essential NPCs) are missing.
However I'll be away for the weekend. I'll take the laptop so I can try and do a bit but have no idea how much/little I'll actually end up doing. and am not sure the internet there will be fast enough to upload (or if I even get internet!). So, I'll probably only have something by sunday night/monday... :/
Not much time for beta testing/proof reading...

But I'll try, cause I'm just having too much fun. :D
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mandle

I just keep telling myself:

"Staaaaay on target...staaaay oooon taaaarget..."

(and then end up get distracted cleaning up details that annoy me when I playtest stuff)

But yeah...almoooooost there...I'm hoping for a Sunday release, but could go over into Monday...

CaptainD

Red Mandle Standing By.

Looking forward to seeing all these entries! 

Mandle

Quote from: CaptainD on Fri 26/09/2014 09:41:27
Red Mandle Standing By.

I got a deadline on my tail! I can't shake it!!!

Anyway, yesterday and today I have getting some kids in the classes I teach to play my game during "game-time" because they play without us "adventure-gamers" preconceptions of what could/should happen, and it sure did pay off!!!

One of my students, a 6-year-old girl spotted a flaw in the mini-arcade-game in my game and exploited it...She got all the way through the stage, which has taken all adult testers (including myself) at least 10 tries before getting through it once, and:on her second attempt!!!

I'm going right now to fix that abusable flaw....And she will be named in the game credits alongside the rest of my playtesters...

Thanks Yuna!!!

AprilSkies

Finished!!!
Here's my entry:

Rally on public roads like it was 1990!

Run your shiny Ferrari 430 "Scuderia" through ever-changing tracks and through 5 different scenarios.
Beware though, the roads are full of other cars, turns and hazard;  you got to be an Ace at the Wheel to complete them on time!

Note: This game was made for MAGS (September 2014, theme "Cross-country").

FEATURES:

5 Different scenarios
3 Difficulty levels
AMIGA vibes
Ever-changing random tracks
Gas station before each checkpoint
Car Stereo with 4 different tracks to play
(Stunning tracks by Yarcanox, Dualnames, FSi and Peder)
Spacebar to honk at other cars
Totally NOT playable with mouse
Customizable controls
Cows (please don't crash on them)
Snowmen (please crash on them)
Green German Cars (Courtesy of selmiak)

COMING SOON:
Abducted Cows from A.C.R.O.N.Y.M. (Courtesy of Ghost)

DOWNLOAD LINK:
Click here

Completed Game Announcements Thread:
Click here

Screenies:

This game would not have been realized without the cooperation of Jim Reed that made stunning GFX and helped me in designing it.

www.apemarina.altervista.org

Cassiebsg

Awsome!

One my side I managed to write one dialog today... twice!. As my son decided it was a good idea to press the shutdown button of my laptop... and AGS just closed without savi:-(  Will go back to writing now...

HanaIndiana

Looks amazing AprilSkies (and everyone else)! I can't way to try it out this weekend!

Retro Wolf

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Fri 26/09/2014 20:30:45
One my side I managed to write one dialog today... twice!. As my son decided it was a good idea to press the shutdown button of my laptop... and AGS just closed without savi:-(  Will go back to writing now...

My son likes the backspace key! ;)

Mandle

Well....stayed up until 2AM last night when I should have been in bed by 11PM at the latest (early start for work today), but it was worth it!!! I got a lot of issues that I had been banging my head against for quite a while sorted to my satisfaction. Now I've just got to survive work today, and then I've got tonight and tomorrow to take care of a few last things: ending cutscene (graphics are ready to go) and credits mainly...

I think I'm gonna make it for a Sunday release ;-D

Myshkin

AprilSkies that looks brilliant! Congrats on finishing.
Downloading now :)

Good luck to... Mandle, Cassiebsg and HanaIndiana, hope you all make it

Stupot

Looks to be an exciting month. I hope there some people left with enough energy to have a go at my October theme :-)

Cassiebsg

Minus all the bugs that I'm sure are there, the game is now almost playable. :-)
Will try and code the intro and ending, as it's more or less the only stuff missing... Then am still missing graphics for the GUIs, few objects, one BG (the one to start and end in),  few NPCs and polishing BGs and NPCs... puff... some times I think I'll make the deadline, others I think I won't.

Of to try and do a play test, and see if I can play from start to end, as I only tested the bits as I coded...

Later :-)

Mandle

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sat 27/09/2014 13:11:25
... puff...

** COUGH *** ... pass...

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sat 27/09/2014 13:11:25
some times I think I'll make the deadline, others I think I won't.

I have had the same feeling since I started on this, but I know myself too well: Missing the release deadline cannot be an option for me!

If I miss it then I know my game will never see the light of day: I would tell myself "Nevermind! It's a good thing! This means you can get everything perfect instead of shit-on-a-shingle like it is now." and then I would probably fool around for a few months pretending I was getting the game ready for release, while getting steadily less and less interested in it. Eventually it would just be a forgotten project on a memory stick somewhere...

Besides: I've honestly built this thing out of sticky-tape and plasticine. In a few weeks, if that, I will have no idea what any part of my code even does anymore...

I shit you not... The Clean Coding Practices guys knocked on my door yesterday with a warrant and I had to pretend I wasn't home for like half an hour...

miguel

Okay, only 2 days to go and I'm behind schedule but that isn't a surprise for me!
I'll stay up late tonight to compensate. I will deliver this Mags!
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Mandle

Quote from: miguel on Sun 28/09/2014 12:31:08
Okay, only 2 days to go and I'm behind schedule but that isn't a surprise for me!
I'll stay up late tonight to compensate. I will deliver this Mags!

Staaaaaay on taaaarget...

Almoooost theeeere...

Yeah, I have actually finished and planned to release, but last minute fixes weighed me down and now it's 4AM...

Must do final testing before release...So see you all tomorrow!

Cassiebsg

I think mine is now playable from start to finish (minus intro&ending), though the GUIs been driving me nuts all day. :(

Think I'll up a beta (?) and see if anyone wants to take it for test drive.

Mandle

This game was created for the September 2014 MAGS Contest. The theme of the contest was "Cross Country", meaning a depiction of a journey.

This made me think of a cartoon I loved as a kid called "Speed Buggy". The Speed Buggy Team tours the world's racing circuits, always managing to get caught up in some kind of nefarious wrong-doings, of course eventually beating the baddies and going on to win the race!

I hope my game managed to capture at least some of the charm of this old Saturday-morning kids' classic.

The picture above is the title screen for the game. I will show one more screenshot of ingame play as per the rules of this forum, but I don't really want to show more than that to avoid spoilers.

Here is a shot showing off AprilSkies' heart-breakingly beautiful iconbar he made and donated to my game, making the game much more lovely graphically than it probably deserves to be:

FEATURES:

* Saturday morning kids' cartoon atmosphere. (I hope)
* Old-school adventure game puzzle solving. (I tried to pack in as many puzzles as I could)
* Music and sound effects. (again, as much as I could get done in under a month)
* Some animations even! (a few eh...)
* A mysterious bad-guy to beat!!
* A driving mini-game!!!
* A TALKING CAR!!!!!

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD

VROOM-A-ZOOM-ZOOOOM!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk