MAGS September: "Cross-country" (VOTE)

Started by Atelier, Mon 01/09/2014 23:30:34

Previous topic - Next topic

HanaIndiana

Mandle

I have picked up quite a few passengers already on my first MAGS journey (by which I mean playtesters). They are talking a lot about knocking sounds coming from the engine, not enough ventilation (the AC is still broken), and are starting to mention the weird muffled thumping sounds coming from the trunk...

What my eclectic team of fellow travellers might have not noticed just yet is that there are no door handles on the interior of the car...

* Mandle puts the car on cruise control, turns to his passengers, and pulls out his...

(To be continued...)

Myshkin

Quote from: HanaIndiana on Mon 08/09/2014 04:01:32
And if I haven't stepped away from AGS for too long, that I've forgotten the basics.

Yep, that's happened to me. I opened up an unfinished game I hadn't worked on for about 3 or 4 months, stared at the code I had written and thought, "what the hell does this even mean???"

I'm going to try for one this time though, very simple. Estimated play time = 2 minutes.
It's verrrrry loosely based on the theme of travel; in this case, the inability to complete the journey of creating a project (something I'm probably not alone in here).

Unless my game about failing to complete things becomes too meta by remaining incomplete itself... (roll)

AprilSkies

I also started working on something.. Didn't know if I was able to finish it within the month, but luckly a great artist started helping me (nod)
He's an old acquaintances of the community, I'm talking of JimReed!

Luckly the development is going well, even if it's killing me and even if there are so many thing to implement yet.

Without spoiling too much, I'll just show you the main menu background of the game:

www.apemarina.altervista.org

HanaIndiana

Ooo, I like the graphics AprilSkies, I'm jealous. :) Can't wait to play it.

Mandle

Quote from: HanaIndiana on Sun 14/09/2014 21:57:43
Ooo, I like the graphics AprilSkies, I'm jealous. :) Can't wait to play it.

I've playtested the first few alpha versions and I must say the game is amazing already!

It's always fun knowing who you are going to lose to ahead of time...Well, I guess AprilSkies has some experience with that feeling also...(laugh)

* Mandle steals AprilSkies' odometer and runs away cackling wildly...

miguel

Lots of interesting ideas here. I really loved the theme and am really happy to join my first Mags competition.
It's also good to get back into action after several failed attempts and disappointments.
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Mandle

Quote from: miguel on Tue 16/09/2014 12:33:31
It's also good to get back into action after several failed attempts and disappointments.

I already told you mate: The other night doesn't matter to me...That kind of thing happens to all men at some point...

Atelier

Cassiebsg

Don't know if I should cry or be depressed... you guys already beta testing, and I'm still trying to get all my locations and puzzles in place... :P
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

HanaIndiana

I'm with you Cassiebsg. Whose talking about beta testing already?! I just downloaded the new version of AGS, created a title screen and crashed my computer. :P

CaptainD

Quote from: HanaIndiana on Tue 16/09/2014 22:31:30
I just downloaded the new version of AGS, created a title screen and crashed my computer. :P

It takes real genius to do that!  Keep up the good work. :-D

miguel

Quote from: Mandle on Tue 16/09/2014 17:57:50
Quote from: miguel on Tue 16/09/2014 12:33:31

I already told you mate: The other night doesn't matter to me...That kind of thing happens to all men at some point...

Thanks Mandle, did I ever tell you you're my favourite bitch?
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Mandle

Quote from: miguel on Wed 17/09/2014 01:14:20
Thanks Mandle, did I ever tell you you're my favourite bitch?

Awwwwwwwwww!!!

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Tue 16/09/2014 22:14:25
Don't know if I should cry or be depressed... you guys already beta testing, and I'm still trying to get all my locations and puzzles in place... :P

I wouldn't worry too much about me. I'm playtesting bits and pieces as it progresses, and my playtesters are being incredibly patient with what must be a rather annoying process for them. As for puzzles/story/locations...I have been making them up on the fly.

Granted, I do have them pretty much all planned out in my head now (I have a one hour bicycle ride to work and back every day) but the month is already half gone and I'm starting to panic! At the start I wasn't too worried because I had no solid ambitions as to where the story would go, so I was just thinking I'll just end the game whenever the deadline comes, but now that I actually have a story-arc in my head I'm getting emotionally-attached to it...Dangnabbit!!!

Time to put this Speed Buggy into overdrive!!!

Myshkin

Well given that I still haven't finished a game I started for MAGS last December, I decided I'd attempt something more within my reach this time. I started this one on Sunday and hopefully will be done by tomorrow (which is about as much time as this one deserves!)
It's only very loosely related to the theme, and to be honest it would be generous to call it a "game".

It's all about failing to finish things, and the personal joke this time is that it looks like I'm actually going to finish this one 8-0

HanaIndiana

I'm worried I may not finish this game, since it's already the middle of the month. It's late, and I may hate myself tomorrow, but I'm going to post my brainstorming notes... because I'm far more likely to finish SOMETHING once I share it. Hahaha!! Sorry future me.

A Hitchhike to Mittens
Goal: Start in Arcata, CA and get to New Orleans, LA in time for Mittens 2015.

To do:
1. Download larger font for title screen. Connect Start to intro screen and Quit to quit.
   Test menu screen with Save/Load, Options and Quit

2. Create menu bar with Quit, Map, Inventory, Score, Days till Mittens, Time, Location, $Cash and Score

3. Map screen(s)

4. Intro screen to explain game.

5. Create Hitchhiking screen. Create bus station screen (city only). Create job GUI. Create walk GUI. Create Store screen.

6. Bus station: Create ticket purchase GUI.

7. Store: Create store purchase GUI. beef jerky, water(?), crowbar, sleeping bag, pennywhistle, uh ..WTF?!

8. Hitchhike: Create vehicle drive-bys and dialogs.
9. Create ending screen (game over).
10. Create ending screen (win game).

-------------------------
PLOT
-------------------------
Need to track time and days. Track what towns are next to each other.

Vehicle has quiet soundtrack when they stop, then turns up during travel.
Small, fast animations for each choice (job, walk, bus, hitchhike), then quickly
show map and the next location.
Small, fast animations for game events.
Game music acapella? Silly but why not.
Keep an eye on the map to determine where you are, and where you
might want to go.

Store items can also include sign Materials and musical instruments to make money.
Instead of JOBS, you can do things in town like dance, play instruments, juggle, ect...
Use cash to tempt people to stop. People who stop to give you a ride, will take the money.
Wait for the best ride.
Thieves can take your money and make you lose turn.

Every so many days, there is a small cutscene, showing “Meanwhile… in New Orleans”. With avatars of AGS'ers arriving at Mittens 2015.

Walking is an option but takes much longer.
Bus is an option but very expensive.
Stores sell weapons for safety. Sleeping bag for staying overnight and being rested.
Beef jerky to walk faster, goes bad after awhile if not used.

Every town has a hitchhiking spot. Some may have bus stops and/or ways to earn money.
Bus stops and hitchhiking spots are set.
Ways to earn money are random, but bigger cities are much more likely to have ways to earn money.

Certain cities are more likely to have shops/jobs/ect...
Certain cities are more likely to have theives.

Need an awesome ending for winning because you just do.
-------------------------------
LOGIC
-------------------------------
Need to have default settings for each town. Each town needs to have a screen.
Defaults for cities/medium town/small town/rural.

Will reuse car/bus/truck/ect.. animations.
Will also reuse dialog, but plug in town names for locations.
(ex. Hey, I'm headed to _______, need a ride?)
Music softly playing in the vehicle.. will play louder during the map traveling montage.

Less traffic at night, but longhaul trucks more likely.
Have clock tick down fast until a vehicle pulls over.
Clock ticks when trying to earn money too and sleeping.

Keep graphics simple and clean (if possible).
No voice acting, but use sound effects and music.
The music could indicate the 'type' of car/driver. That could be cute.

--------------------------------
LOCATIONS (too many?)
--------------------------------

Arcata, CA (small town): Home of Humboldt State Univ. <insert a sentence or two of town info>
Chico, CA (medium town): Party school... woohoo!
Willits, CA (rural)
Petaluma, CA (medium town)
Cloverdale, CA (rural)
San Francisco, CA  (city)
Benicia, CA (small town)
Modesto, CA (medium town)
Turlock, CA (rural)
Prunedale, CA (rural)
Fresno, CA (city)
San Luis Obispo, CA (medium town)
Solvang, CA (small town)
Bakersfield, CA (city)
Valencia, CA (small town)
Barstow, CA (rural)
Los Angeles, CA (city)
Las Vegas, NV (city)
Palm Springs, CA (medium town)
Lake Havasu, NV (small town)
Blythe, CA (rural)
Flagstaff, NV (medium town)
Phoenix, NV (city)
Silver City, NV (rural)
Winslow, NV (rural)
Gallup, NV (rural)
Grants, NV (rural)
Albequrque, NM (city)
Roswell, NM (small town)
Clovis, NM (rural)
Amarillo, TX (small town)
Lubbock, TX (medium town)
Childress, TX (rural)
Vernon, TX (rural)
Witchita Falls, TX (medium town)
Gainsville, TX (rural)
Decatur, TX (rural)
Dallas, TX (city)
Athens, TX (rural)
Longview, TX(small town)
Shreveport, TX (medium town)
Winnfield, TX (rural)
Alexandria, TX (small town)
Baton Rouge, LA (medium town)
New Orleans, LA (city) WIN!!
----------------------------------------
----------------------------------------

Myshkin

OK this is a new record for me -- started on Sunday and finished on Wednesday!
I ask you to please judge it accordingly ;)

Inspired by all my unfinished projects over the years, I present to you:

MAN GIVING UP

How many times can YOU give up?

Choose from a variety of colourful settings and see how far you can go. You might just surprise yourself. You might find the power was inside yourself all along. Welcome to the world of MAN GIVING UP.

Get this "game" here:

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/1831/

Mandle

Wait...what???

Somebody is already finished???

* Mandle double checks all the locks in the car, pumps up the music, and puts away his...

(To be continued)

AprilSkies

WOW Emont!! You alredy finished!!!!!!!
I'll play it for sure.. even if not now because I'm trying to finish mine :~(
So  hardddd!

Quote from: HanaIndiana on Wed 17/09/2014 07:03:05
I'm worried I may not finish this game
I really hope you can finish it HanaIndiana 'cause the concept and the logic is sooooo interesting!
Can't wait to play it!

www.apemarina.altervista.org

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk