Midi to Wav (as pc beeper)

Started by arj0n, Fri 12/09/2014 11:48:30

Previous topic - Next topic

arj0n

So I have a midi file.
I'd like to have it converted to a wav or mp3 but sounding like the pc speaker/beeper.

As I'm a noob fir midi, is it possible to 'convert' a midi file to wav (or mp3) PLUS make it sound like pc speaker sound (beeps), and if it is possible, how?

-arj0n

Crimson Wizard

A word of precaution: MIDI sounds depend on installed MIDI sound library (banks), therefore they may sound differently on two different computers.
Dunno how they do the conversion, maybe they choose some particular bank for this?

Scavenger

Either:

1) Play the MIDI file in DOSBOX using a PC-Speaker MIDI player (There is one on this page) and record the raw output from DOSBOX.
or
2) Turn the MIDI file into a MOD file and find a recording of the PC Speaker, and use that as the instrument.

arj0n

@RWolf, thanx. I'm familiar with such sites, but i'm looking more for a desktop tool...
I did found 'GXSCC Beta 236E', a Japanese tool. Gonna try that one out tonight first :)

@CW: thanx for the info and yes, the banks... That's why I'd like to convert the midi's on my pc to a wav for example.
I guess when converting it uses a default bank.

@Scavenger: yes, I can record it using dosbox and set the play 'true speaker'.
I could also use tracker software indeed. But got no clue if it will load midi... I'm used to load wav's as instrument/samples....

Snarky

So it sounds like Scavenger's first suggestion solves your issue, right?

arj0n

In a away it does, Snarky.

I was already aware of the dosbox recording option (I use it together with d-fend).
I was actually more looking for some kind of converter mid->'wav in pc speakers style'.
That's the actual question in the first post ;)

Snarky

I guess I fail to see the distinction. If you take the output of a PC-speaker (or emulated PC-speaker) MIDI player and record it directly (in software) to a wave-file, aren't you in fact converting from MID to WAV? Or are you just saying it's too fiddly/time consuming and you'd like a more convenient tool?

Scavenger

There is no direct "Record this MIDI as if it were played from a PC Speaker" program, as that program is too specific to exist already. If time is the issue, make a batch file that plays each of the MIDI you want in turn, and record the entire thing in one lump, then go get a coffee or mute your computer speakers and go to sleep.

ModPlug Tracker, at least can load MIDI as track data.

Snarky

Another option that will produce a somewhat different type of sound (noisier, but with more of the sound complexity) would be to play the song in a regular midi player and save that as a wav, which you then play through the DOSBox PC-speaker emulation with one of the wave players on that list, recording the audio output with DOSBox.

The MOD tracker solution might sound better than either of these option, even if the result is probably going to be something a PC-speaker couldn't technically output (not sure how authentic you need it to be).

I didn't have a soundcard on the PC where I first played computer games, so music through the PC-beep chip is part of my formative adventure game memories. The soundcard emulation on the Access games (the first two Tex Murphy titles, plus some dopey golf game) was mindblowing at the time! People actually speaking through the PC? Sorcery!

tzachs

Two options that I know of to convert midi to wav with your choice of sounds are vst instruments (supported by cubase, for example), and soundfonts (don't remember which software I used).
So if you can find either a vst instrument or a soundfont that sounds like a PC speaker you can use those with a software that supports the format.

Erenan

There does appear to be such a VST: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3393223 (audio sample is still there; I didn't check the VST download link).

So if you are willing to explore how to use a DAW, you can try that. REAPER can probably do the job, and you can use it for free for 30 days and AFAIK after that you just get a nag screen.

This might be overkill for your purposes, but the VST appears to have some options that can be tweaked in order to control the sound, so this might actually be preferable to just playing the MIDI in DOSBOX. But that's up to you, obviously. :)
The Bunker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk