Dustbowl - A Post Apocalyptic Adventure

Started by pixelincognito, Wed 17/09/2014 11:10:22

Previous topic - Next topic

ThreeOhFour

This looks very cool! Good luck with it.

declerfayt

I'm really looking forward to play DustBowl. Good work guys! :)
Lancelot's Hangover : A whole life to find the Holy Grail. One alcohol night to lose it.

Play free beta // Video trailer // Website

KodiakBehr

This really looks like it's going to pass the fun-test with flying colours.  It's pretty.  The premise is interesting.  The mechanics (appear) to draw from the best features of AGS.  Post-apocalyptic games are in right now.  There's a lot of great potential here -- looking forward to it!

Atavismus

Thx guyz! :)

Btw, we made our first poll on indiedb forum:
http://www.indiedb.com/games/dustbowl-a-wasteland-adventure/forum/thread/permadeath-option-poll
It's about permadeath.
You don't need to have an account to vote.
If you have one, feel free to comment (here or there) ;)

Thx for your opinion!

Cassiebsg

If you don't mind asking... what's permadeath??? Do you mean to permanently kill the player?  Permanently kill the player's computer? Something else related with death?

I'd like to know what I'm voting on. (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Haggis

QuoteIf you don't mind asking... what's permadeath

I was wondering the same, does it mean when the player dies there is no way to continue other than to load the last saved game? (e.g. Fallout 3)

Game looks fantastic by the way.

Atavismus

Sorry guyz, I should have explain it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permanent_death
When you die, you can't come back, we delete your save slot.
Yes I know, it's harsh but realistic. :D
Mind, it would be a settable option.
Also, we try to randomize everything as much as we can. ;)

Thx for your time and cya! :)

Cassiebsg

Voted, and I'm with 7%... so I guess your decision will not be "permadeath or not" but "optional or not". ;)

Good luck with the game. (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

mkennedy

Are there any benefits to choosing the permadeath option? One of the online games I play has a permadeath server, but the XP and skill gain are both at 10 times the rate for the nonPD server (hence why I play it).

Atavismus

Quote from: mkennedy on Fri 17/10/2014 04:32:09
Are there any benefits to choosing the permadeath option? One of the online games I play has a permadeath server, but the XP and skill gain are both at 10 times the rate for the nonPD server (hence why I play it).
Well, we didn't thought about it, but it's an idea.
Still, I guess permadeath is more something between you and yourself.
Also, it's a different way to play: more careful, more vigilant, more pondering.
You have to think about your choices, like in real life.
imo, it adds more tension, more challenge, more realism.

KodiakBehr

I'm on Team Permadeath.  It's what made the new X-Com, or FTL so joyously nerve-wracking.  My next game will surely feature it.

Atavismus

To all survivors!

You can now follow us on twitter :
https://twitter.com/DustbowlAGS

I'll soon begin to tell the story of our hero with the hashtag #dustbowlstory

Thx for your support and cya!

ChestPecRespect

This looks amazing. I'm a huge fan of Fallout and A Boy and His Dog.
So looking forward to this.

Raez

Not to sound like a broken record, but this looks pretty stellar! It's like Fallout meets Organ Trail or the video game equivalent of the Trace Italian from Wolf in White Van. I look forward to following your progress.

Also, although I personally am a big fan of permadeath, games that (successfully) revolve around it tend to have it embedded as a core mechanic from the ground up. So it's probably either/or from my point of view. Maybe it's not the place for you to focus your efforts. Maybe you can patch it in later as a goodie. Either way, good luck! (nod)

pixelincognito

I'm quite overwhelmed with your comments and support, your a great community.

We're working really hard in getting the game done, I've been adding sounds here and there but spending most of my time making new art for the future locations and the surface map which the player will traverse to reach various locations. I've been working on more environment art and getting the world map revamped, I've heard alot of people talking about Fallout which is a game thats dear to me and the original idea of the world map would resemble how the fallout map would work but this has dramatically changed.

The map is now much larger and open, you now have direct control of the player and can roam the world and enter various buildings and special locations - alot of the smaller areas you can enter like farm houses, barns roadside motels etc, are randomly generated and have their objects and loot randomly placed. I guess for those that can remember 'It Came From The Desert' the map is very much like that now. There will still be random 'Fallout' style encounters as you travel and hidden radioactive areas, a geiger counter SFX will warn the player about such areas but this is something we need to work out :smiley:

I've also been working on new environment art (so much to do); the subway is the first main environment that the player will be tasked in exploring and I'm very happy with how that's going, there were one or two concerns with the room art (always being square rooms like Spy Vs Spy) but there is real scope for mixing things up and keeping the world fresh for the player.

It's getting there and we hope to get a rough alpha demo for the end of next month - but of course, it wont really reflect the final thing. :)  Raez, If I can achieve the mood of Organ Trail I'd be a happy person.

Thanks everyone!
PI.

cacaro

Can't remember whether I already said it, but this looks really fantastic. Can't wait to play it.

Quote from: pixelincognito on Thu 23/10/2014 10:18:02
I guess for those that can remember 'It Came From The Desert' the map is very much like that now.

It looks very similar, indeed. And I love it.

Matti

This looks very nice. I dig the art style and the concept seems cool. Keep it up!

Quote from: cacaro on Thu 23/10/2014 11:44:30
Quote from: pixelincognito on Thu 23/10/2014 10:18:02
I guess for those that can remember 'It Came From The Desert' the map is very much like that now.

It looks very similar, indeed. And I love it.

+1  :)

Surdy

Looks pretty cool!

I suppose you know the Fallout serie?

Keep up the good work Pixelincognito!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk