AGS Ratings Drive Sept 2014

Started by Stupot, Thu 18/09/2014 12:56:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Stupot

It's been a while since we had a push for game ratings. There's the discussion in a recent thread about the panel ratings, but player ratings are just as, if not more, important, and we all neglect them. So let's get dishing out those orange cups.

This time I propose a period of 7-10 days to complete these steps:

1) rate and comment on at least one game that you have already played but have not yet rated.
2) select at least one game from this list of games that have yet to be rated. Play it, rate it and comment.
3) select at least one game from this list of games that have been rated fewer than five times. Play it, rate it and comment.
4) select one game by 'lucky dip'. Whichever game comes up first, play it, rate it and comment.
5) post in this thread which games you have rated. Raise awareness of some overlooked gems you find.

This is just a guideline. No one will judge you for missing out on a step, especially if you are busy making a game, but if everyone rated at least one or two games we would make a good dent in those lists.

So how about it?
Get playing and rating :-D

shaun9991

This is a good idea, I'm doing it now! Not enough ratings are made that's for sure
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

Stupot

Well done Shaun. There doesn't seem to be as much interest in this as last time. Oh well.
My internet has been throttled again so I can't download anything else to play and rate at the moment, but will do as soon as I get my speeds back. For the time being I've just been catching up on some games I played but didn't rate.

Lasca

Think this is great! I'm gonna start on it right away!

CaptainD

I'll try!  Hoping to find a couple in that list that I've played and actually remember well enough to rate.

Ponch

Arrr. I be havin' a wee bit o' free time this weekend, matey. Surely even a salty ol' sea cow like meself can free up a few minutes between trimmin' the sails and tendin' the rudder to rate a game or two. I'll see what I can do, says I.

EDIT: I'm working my way through the list. Here are the games I have on my docket:

1) Played but not rated: Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy Remake
2) Yet to be rated: OSD - LGS
3) Rated fewer than five times: Castle of Fire
4) Lucky Dip: Harry's 21st Birthday

I'll have my reviews / ratings up once I've finished all the games.

Lasca

So, rated "A punk with wheels", "Mechanismo", "Rufus Story" and "Apple Farm".
Had some fun! Didn't do any of the life-stuff I had to do. So great success!

LRH

This sounds like a great idea! It's a shame these lists are so long :shocked:
I'll get to it a little later today!

straydogstrut

Great, idea. I have some time this weekend too so will try to look at some of these.

FYI the link for the first game on the unrated list - 'Adventure Game' Demo - is down, however this looks like the same game as the third one on the list - Adventure Game Demo - which is up on AGSArchives. The link to the second game - A.L.I - is also down. Looks like these have been migrated to AGSArchives so never mind!

selmiak

I just rated emonts Man giving up and gave up on the first question...

jwalt

Played, commented on, and rated Bob's Quest II. It is a short demo game, uses placeholder art, and was okay. Took very little time to finish the demo. Appears the full game was never completed.

CaptainD

Is there any way to report a "Game Not Found" error? - as these games shouldn't really be on the lists now.

(In case there isn't... just making a note here for future reference:)

Abstract - Game Not Found

An Egyptian Adventure - File Not Found (admittedly the error page for this does ask you to report it on the forum).

monkey424

Comedy Quest - downloaded a few months ago but just got round to playing it now. Rated & comment added.

Shitty Quest - played last year. Rated & comment added.

Both awesome games!

Ghost

Quote from: selmiak on Sat 20/09/2014 20:00:15
I just rated emonts Man giving up and gave up on the first question...

I tried to rate Push The Button. But I don't dare to... push the button...

Nice idea, Stuput! I have put two short games on my list and will see to play them within the week (nod)

OneDollar

OK, I've played some games, cast some votes and written some short essays.

1) Played but have not yet rated: Couldn't remember any that aren't already heavily reviewed, I'll have another look later.
2) Yet to be rated: TV Quest
3) Rated fewer than five times: Ray and the Guitar
4) Lucky dip: The Witch, the Wizard and the Blue Cup

Lasca

QuoteIs there any way to report a "Game Not Found" error? - as these games shouldn't really be on the lists now.

I also noticed there are games on the "all games list" that are marked with "Download link broken", even though the link is working just fine (including my own game. Yes, I am a narcissist). Is there a way to fix this? Who's in charge?
Can I speak to your manager, please (yes, I am that guy at the restaurant).

AGA

Quote from: CaptainD on Sat 20/09/2014 21:36:07
Is there any way to report a "Game Not Found" error? - as these games shouldn't really be on the lists now.

(In case there isn't... just making a note here for future reference:)

Abstract - Game Not Found

An Egyptian Adventure - File Not Found (admittedly the error page for this does ask you to report it on the forum).

Define "the lists".  The AGS site code is a billion lines long, and I'm not gonna dig through every one of them to work out which of the many lists you're referring to!

Quote from: Lasca on Sun 21/09/2014 18:34:10
I also noticed there are games on the "all games list" that are marked with "Download link broken", even though the link is working just fine.

We're not psychic!  If you don't tell us the actual names of the games, there's no way we can fix it.  If someone used the 'report this link as broken' button in the past, it would just mark the link as broken without any checking.  That doesn't happen anymore, but there are still some flags set by the old system.  If you let us know which links are now valid, we can reset the 'link broken' flag.

CaptainD

AGA - these lists:

"2) select at least one game from this list of games that have yet to be rated. Play it, rate it and comment.
3) select at least one game from this list of games that have been rated fewer than five times. Play it, rate it and comment."

The point you're making is really what I was trying to ask - what is the most helpful way for us to alert you of games with missing pages / downloads? 

Stupot

Is anyone else getting this error when trying to load those lists:

"Couldn't connect to database: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '== '0' ORDER BY name' at line 1"

Or is it just me?

NickyNyce

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk