Recommend Android Phone Photo App

Started by RickJ, Fri 19/09/2014 13:11:07

Previous topic - Next topic

RickJ

Can anyone  recommend a good Android Photo Gallery App.  My wife just keeps them on her phone and emails them to me occasionally.  I am looking for an app that will automatically send her photos to something like Google Drive or Drop Box.  I prefer to stay away from services that seize ownership/control over uploaded material.  I have my own web space so an app that lets one setup the storage URL would also work.

I appreciate any advice you may have. Thanks   

Darth Mandarb

Hey Rick!  Long time, hope all is well :)

I have, recently, started using the QuickPic gallery app. 

It doesn't really have a ton of bells 'n whistles but it's pretty fast and stable (so far). 

It does have Google Drive integration but I'm not sure about the auto-upload part (I avoid the cloud - call me paranoid - and the recent events with iCloud have only strengthened my distrust of cloud services). 

It has a few features lacking. Such as; you cannot specify a "cover" photo for albums (which seems like such an obvious feature to me) and the general layout/design isn't too great (but most people don't care about that as much as I do!).  All in all it's a decent little app.

I love the concept of a gallery app that allows you to specify server details to upload photos to your own personal storage... I might just have to build that for you (nod).

Snarky

My android phone automatically uploads any photo I take to Google+, though I'm not sure exactly what causes it to do that. My last phone did the same.

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: Snarky on Tue 23/09/2014 13:55:27My android phone automatically uploads any photo I take to Google+, though I'm not sure exactly what causes it to do that. My last phone did the same.

So annoying!!  You have to open the Google+ app, access the settings, and turn off "auto backup".

I also go into main Settings and go into Accounts and shut off sync with my Google account (just to prevent any unwanted changes from syncing up without my permission).  The account sync shouldn't have any effect on the auto backup (if you turn that off your photos won't auto upload) but my paranoia makes me turn it off anyway!  However; if you turn the sync off for your main google account(s) any add/edits to contacts will not auto-update your address book (except on the phone).  So I typically turn this back on if/when I make any additions or updates to contact information.

Snarky

I don't take that many nude selfies, so it doesn't really bother me, and I can never be bothered to mess around with all kinds of account settings unless something is actively borked.

But it might be what RickJ is looking for, if Google+ is an acceptable online storage.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk