setup.exe screen looks strange [solved]

Started by arj0n, Fri 19/09/2014 19:25:03

Previous topic - Next topic

arj0n

I seem to have a problem for a while now with the setup.exe from compiled and it's driving me nuts :(

What is wrong with the display of the ags setup.exe screen on my pc?
I really hope someone has a clue so I can fix this...

Two examples of the setup screen below.
In each image is the one on top the setup.exe running on my pc, and the lower one the same setup.exe on tamara's running on pc.

Snarky

Looks like a dpi problem. Do you have a very high resolution screen? In that case, the system might be set to scale up fonts and controls so they won't be too tiny, but apparently it doesn't affect window size (or height, anyway), so the controls no longer fit in the window. I imagine the AGS setup would need to be rewritten to deal correctly with different dpi values (the old standard was 96 on Windows, but more recently 120 has become more common, and "retina" displays use even higher densities).

Crimson Wizard

There must be a solution. I'll look into this.

E: Good thing this is easily reproducible by setting 120 dpi in Windows display settings.

arj0n

No clue how to set dpi in win8.1.

There's a setting in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display, where you change the size of all items (scaling level). Changing that doesn't fix it.

I'm running with the latest nvidia drivers.

arj0n

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Fri 19/09/2014 21:50:22
Arjon, please try out this test build:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/f1x5326lvfvvaxd/acwin_fix_dpi.zip
Well, running the acwin.exe does fix something else that is happening since a while:
I couldn't run my project in full screen.
The game's resolution is 320x200, and when setting it to run fullscreen it does run in a windowed 320x200 box.
Running this acwin.exe make the game run in fullscreen.

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Fri 19/09/2014 21:50:22
Did not use Win8 much, but for changing DPI googling find this: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/28310-dpi-scaling-size-change-displays-windows-8-1-a.html
Yes, tried these option already but no result for the winsetup.exe to run normal.

Thanx for the help so far CW & Snarky!

Crimson Wizard

Oh... wait, I forgot to elaborate.

I mean - run setup from this new acwin.exe:

"acwin.exe --setup"
from command line

It is good to hear that it fixed something else for you too :).

arj0n

Yes! ;-D

And yes, it looks like this also fixes my unable to run in fullscreen' issue.
Thanx, awesome!

Crimson Wizard

Good, I learned how to properly calculate dialog size based on font DPI :D.

..."driver" in "Graphics driver" didn't make it to the window though >:(. This label should not wrap, for starters.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk