Using 2 monitors with editor

Started by Cassiebsg, Sun 21/09/2014 09:00:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassiebsg

Sorry, if this has been mentioned before, just don't know how to search for this issue.

Anyway, I've recently started using 2 monitor screens to do my work.
On monitor 1: I have the forum and playing cartoons to my son in the right corner.
On monitor 2: I use it to work in peace, and have more than just half a screen...

However, when using the AGS editor in monitor 2, the "tool tips" are displayed in monitor 1! :(
Hope I managed to explain the problem.

Is it just me that am missing something, or is this a bug?

Am using Win7 Home Premium with Nvidia Graphic card, if that has anything to do with anything...
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Gurok

I don't have a second monitor to test this, so this is an educated guess.

This could be an editor bug, but I have a suspicion that if it is, the editor is just outputting tooltips to the primary monitor. Check your settings in the control panel. There should be something in the control panel that lets you designate one monitor as your primary monitor (with the taskbar on it). If the monitor for AGS is not the primary monitor, try swapping them around and see if the problem persists. Note: Just use the control panel. You don't need to physically disconnect and reconnect the monitors :D
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

LameNick

I'm afraid this is not gonna help very much but maybe it might be good to know that I'm using two monitors on win7 64bit with nvidia graphics and I couldn't find any issues.
How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

Cassiebsg

Okay, this seems more weird now, than before.

Monitor 1: To the left, as secondary extended display
Monitor 2: To the right, as primary extended display

This causes the tooltip to be stuck on the left edge of the primary display (monitor 2), if the editor is on monitor 1.

Monitor 1: to the left, as primary extended display
Monitor 2: to the right, as secondary extended display

This causes NO problem, no matter if the editor is on monitor 1 or 2 the tooltip shows correct at where the mouse is...
(I can even switch the monitors, that the tootip still works)... But I really rather have the primary on monitor 2...

Oh well.. monitor 2 will die sooner or later anyway, and then my son will get his own PC at a near future, and this problem will go away. :)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Alberth

Time for a little random guessing:

It sounds like tooltips cannot go left of the primary monitor. I don't know what coordinate system Windows uses for multiple monitors, but if the left edge of the primary monitor is 0, maybe the tips cannot go into negative X ?
If so, it's not an unsigned versus problem, or the tooltips would be invisble (they'd go the zollion-th monitor at the right). Maybe they are clamped to 0? (or to the left edge of the application?)

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Alberth on Wed 08/10/2014 17:15:33
Time for a little random guessing:

It sounds like tooltips cannot go left of the primary monitor. I don't know what coordinate system Windows uses for multiple monitors, but if the left edge of the primary monitor is 0, maybe the tips cannot go into negative X ?
If so, it's not an unsigned versus problem, or the tooltips would be invisble (they'd go the zollion-th monitor at the right). Maybe they are clamped to 0? (or to the left edge of the application?)

There's a well known (in narrow circles, heh) problem with getting coordinates when secondary monitor is positioned to the left from primary one. Basically it originates from loosing a sign, because in the situation like this the secondary monitor will have negative coordinates.
This is a common issue in programs which work directly with WinAPI events. I haven't seen how this is done in AGS Editor yet.

EDIT: actually I misread what Alberth wrote. Yes, if it was unsigned issue, the tooltips would indeed go far to the right.
Unless they do, but their position is fixed somehow...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk