Night lights

Started by jwalt, Fri 26/09/2014 04:37:49

Previous topic - Next topic

jwalt

I did this in Anim8or, and it involves some faking, since Anim8or's lights seem limited (to me). I turned off the cast shadows, because they looked really bad. Is this too off putting? It seems reasonable, to me, but I have low standards. Mainly curious about the lights, but fire away on the rest if you want to.

FYI, I'm running two low intensity area lights, and four spot lights.

Mandle

Looks nice! One thing that kind of leapt out at me though was:

Shouldn't the spotlights make pools of light around the bottoms of the streetlights and not in between them?

theo

Quote from: Mandle on Fri 26/09/2014 05:24:56
Looks nice! One thing that kind of leapt out at me though was:

Shouldn't the spotlights make pools of light around the bottoms of the streetlights and not in between them?

The bright bits (pools of light) are where two spotlights overlap. What did it look like with the shadows cast?

jwalt

Quote from: theo on Fri 26/09/2014 13:54:55
The bright bits (pools of light) are where two spotlights overlap. What did it look like with the shadows cast?

That is likely the reason. I Googled some images, and I don't see the intensification between two lights. I toyed with the spotlights a bit to remove the overlap, and I pulled some stuff out of Bryce (aky/ground). Regarding the shadows, the spotlights are above the poles, so the cover on the pole was leaving a big black pool at the base of the light poles.

I should also add that the tree is something I found on the Anim8or Forum. I should probably darken down he sky; it looks a bit brighter than I want.

Snarky

Proposal: instead of having the spotlights "close" to the actual lights, put them where the actual lights are. If you can't make the white spheres transparent to the spots, just remove them and add them back in afterwards.

Light always comes from somewhere. The building doesn't look like it's being lit much by the streetlights, so it's presumably ambient light... from the sky. Which means that the sky has to be brighter than the ambient illumination of the building. In other words, if you darken the sky, you should darken the building too.

jwalt

@Snarky, that's the approach I would use in Bryce, but Anim8or's lights seem different. I'm still learning stuff about Anim8or's lights, and will try some more things, including your suggestion. Thank you.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk