AGS 3.4.0.6 (Alpha) - Builder Patch

Started by Crimson Wizard, Sat 27/09/2014 17:25:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Crimson Wizard

Well, earlier you said:
Quote from: proximity on Sat 20/06/2015 17:02:51
It doesn't even compile the OGV video in to the game.exe. It just copies it from compiled and pastes it to Windows/Linux folder.
This made me think you put it into "Compiled" folder instead.

I used this video for a test: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Examplevideo.ogv
I did no extra actions.

Someone had a problem with OGV not playing too recently, but in his case it was Windows Explorer hiding incorrect extension. Please check if it is not your case:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=52325.msg636516164#msg636516164

If it is not related, may you send me the video you are using?

EDIT
Quote from: proximity on Mon 29/06/2015 15:37:30
Edit : I tried it again. This time it worked :smiley: It played the video black & white ???
This is something beyond my knowledge, I am afraid.

proximity

I downloaded and played your video in the game. It played clear and smooth. My video is conversion from .avi and i think it's a bad conversion.

After comparing two videos, i realized that encoder of them are different. My video is encoded by Lavc56.41.100 libtheora, and yours is encoded by ffmpeg2theora-0.23.
Proximity Entertainment

xil

I seem to be having trouble playing .ogg sound effects in 3.4.0.5 - It plays them no problem in the editor but once running the game, I can't hear them.

If you get a few mins could anyone let me know if you have the same issue? .ogg files play fine for me in the previous minor versions, it's just 3.4.0.5 that seems to have issues.
Calico Reverie - Independent Game Development, Pixel Art & Other Stuff
Games: Mi - Starlit Grave - IAMJASON - Aractaur - blind to siberia - Wrong Channel - Memoriae - Point Of No Return

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: xil on Mon 29/06/2015 16:31:55
I seem to be having trouble playing .ogg sound effects in 3.4.0.5 - It plays them no problem in the editor but once running the game, I can't hear them.

If you get a few mins could anyone let me know if you have the same issue? .ogg files play fine for me in the previous minor versions, it's just 3.4.0.5 that seems to have issues.

Can you try out your ogg files in AGS 3.3.3? An OGG-related fix was made in there.

xil

Hmm, just for sake of argument I booted up a 3.3.3 and a 3.4.0.5 and loaded in the default game template. Adding the .ogg file and playing worked perfectly in both versions which means it must be my specific game. I'm going to have to investigate to see what is different with the game I created using the blank template in 3.4.0.5 as that still won't play .ogg files.
Games: Mi - Starlit Grave - IAMJASON - Aractaur - blind to siberia - Wrong Channel - Memoriae - Point Of No Return

Problem

So we're currently beta testing Rogue State, and one of our testers has reported a strange bug that seems to be related to the new "free display resolutions" feature.

The first time he played the game, everything worked. A couple of days later, he got this error message when he tried to run the game:

It's clear that the reported resolution of 1680x1009 makes no sense at all. He tried to change the resolution with winsetup.exe, but this didn't solve the problem. Strangely, he was able to start the game on the next day, without making any further changes to the settings.
So we couldn't reproduce the bug, but we'll try to find out if anything was different when this bug occurred and if it can be reproduced somehow. The beta version he's currently playing was built with 3.4.0.4

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Problem on Thu 02/07/2015 08:47:32
So we're currently beta testing Rogue State, and one of our testers has reported a strange bug that seems to be related to the new "free display resolutions" feature.

The first time he played the game, everything worked. A couple of days later, he got this error message when he tried to run the game:

I suggest to add a log option to your acsetup.cfg:
Code: text

[misc]
log=1

If similar error ever occur again we may get details from the log.

Problem

Alright, we'll be doing this for the next beta and see if we can reproduce it.

xil

I seem to have come across some sort of bug to do with the custom resolutions and fonts/elements on GUIs, I've tested it in 3.4.0.3, 3.4.0.4 and 3.4.0.5 and it seems to behave the same way.

I originally set my game up to be 320x180 and everything was working fine with no issues. I then decided to up the resolution to 480x270. I had the system auto resize the GUIs and then I went to reimport the sprites. Everything was fine until I used one of the sprites on a button and noticed this 'bug'?

[imgzoom]http://calicoreverie.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/ags-customres-confliting-pixel-resolutions.png[/imgzoom]

I have tried going back and forth between various resolutions but I can't quite figure out if the font is simply not adhering the new resolution (looks to be the case?) or if the imported sprites are somehow at fault. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Crimson Wizard

@xil there is that silly check "Is the game Hi-Res or Low-Res". For backwards-compatibility purposes I let it work this way:
* 320x240 and lower are counted "low-res";
* anything higher than 320x240 is counted hi-res.

This condition affects limited situations, but one of them is Sprite's "Resolution" property, which causes the sprite to automatically scale up and down if the resolution does not match the game's one.
I guess the sprites you imported has this property set to "Low Res".

xil

Thanks for the quick reply. The sprite setting did indeed fix the resolution clash, but it fixed it in the opposite way I was expecting.

It turns out I was happy with the size of the sprite, it was the font size on the GUI that was the issue.

I've done an example of the button with the mouse pointer.
- On the left the sprites are set to high res and as you can see they match the resolution of the background and of the font put directly via photoshop onto the background.
- The right side shows the GUI where the mouse over and mouse pointer clicked sprites set to low res so they match with the font on the GUI.

[imgzoom]http://calicoreverie.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/ags-customres-confliting-pixel-resolutions2.png[/imgzoom]

So it seems switch from low-res to high-res sets the font to exactly double the resolution it should be. I've even tested it taking it down to 4pt (from it's correct 8pt size) and it works.

Should I just cut the font size in half or is this possibly a bug after all? It might just be quirk of working with such small bitmap fonts in 'high-res' perhaps?

Crimson Wizard

Right, I knew that, the fonts have this check too... I apologize, I forgot where it is located.

You need to go to General Settings and find option: "Text Output" => "Fonts designed for 640x480" and set it to true. This will stop AGS from scaling fonts up in hi-res games.

xil

No need to apologise! :)

That's worked perfectly, thanks for the help.

ollj

this was harder to find than it should be.

i would like to see the 30000k sprite limit to be gone:

made a loop that, for testing purposes, does this.dynamicarraypointer.create on a 40000 long array of DynamicSprite* pointers.
it has the strange side effect that on a completely different point an object-pointer becomes "invalid", unable to do anything with an instance of an object.

cianty

In this new version when I hit Run (with or without Debugger) it always opens in the same way (large window).

In previous versions of the editor, the run game would use the settings previously made via "Run game setup...".
Since I am having severe difficulties with any view mode larger than 2x filter under virtual windows (as described here) this is extremely annoying, as it takes me about 5 minutes (no kidding) to close the window.
Is it possible to retain the settings for the Run game action?

The Mouse.Click() function is super useful by the way. In my efforts to get around the poor mouse input processing in virtual Windows I made a control mode where you move the cursor with arrow keys and use enter to trigger the MoudeDown event.

Anyhow, awesome work, guys!
ca. 70% completed

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: cianty on Sat 11/07/2015 14:09:03
In this new version when I hit Run (with or without Debugger) it always opens in the same way (large window).
<...>
Is it possible to retain the settings for the Run game action?
This problem was introduced with the new game building code (Multiplatform build version, 3.4.0.2)
The reason is simply that the game config is saved and read differently depending on how you run the game, and when debugging (F5) your config is lost, making the game run with default settings (max window).
You may temporarily workaround this by checking "Use legacy compiler" in the Editor's Preferences.

We must fix this for the next patch.

cianty

Thank you for the Legacy compiler hint - that did the trick.

Does this mean the Editor Preference "Test game style": "Use game setup configuration" does nothing now?
ca. 70% completed

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: cianty on Sat 11/07/2015 14:57:43
Does this mean the Editor Preference "Test game style": "Use game setup configuration" does nothing now?
It should, it just works incorrectly with new game compiler.

monkey0506

The Linux engines seem to be out of date in this version (3.4.0.5). Were they rebuilt for this release? If they are going to be included then they will need rebuilding for each release. Should we perhaps maintain their release separately?

Edit: I didn't create the archive for this purpose (actually, I'm having some issues with my VM talking to the host), but here are the latest 3.4.0.* Linux binaries (versioned as 3.4.0.5, but includes updates since that release). This also includes the AGSteam binaries, which of course aren't necessary, but like I said I needed this for something else. ;) This archive can be extracted directly on top of "Editor/Linux" to update the Linux binaries used by the new compiler.

Armageddon

Not sure if this has been reported yet, sorry if it has.

In the setup dialog the resolution doesn't match the game.

Also the mouse sensitivity in windowed mode got messed up when I switched to custom resolution. With the resolution dialog saying that I'm kind of worried that the mouse position is being stretched down from 320x200 to 320x180 and that's what's causing it to whip around so fast.

EDIT:

Fixed the conflicting resolution numbers, had to manually change it in acsetup.cfg, doesn't do it for you when you compile or run the game though. Doesn't fix the mouse acceleration. What I did find though is that if I run the game .exe by itself there's no acceleration. If I use winsetup .exe and close it with save and run, then it has the acceleration. Very strange.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk