AGS Cryptic

Started by Wyz, Mon 29/09/2014 19:08:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron

I'll take a stab at this cake.... :=

Spoiler
A church signal is a bell, or more specifically the ringing thereof.  So the "center of a church signal" could mean the centre of a bell (ie the "clapper"), or the space inside the bell (the "cavity?"), or indeed the centre of the word "bell" or "ringing" ("el" or "g", respectively).

As I read the clue, this "center" must then be "buried" by "the cake period", implying that it is inserted somewhere in the middle (kind of like you'd bury an unwanted detail in a report).  "The cake period" probably refers to Marie Antoinette's lifetime (ie 18th century), based on her affinity for it over bread, but could also refer to some sort of cake dot (cupcake?) or baking time ("ho" = 1/2 an hour?).

Therefore, my guess is 1NGI8 :undecided: 
[close]

Mandle

I too get stabby stabby:

Spoiler
I was thinking that the "church signal" was perhaps "cross" or "crucifix" and thus the middle could be "o" or "ros" in the case of "cross", or "ci" or "ucif" in the case of "crucifix". This is assuming that we are not supposed to exceed the 5 letter limit at this point of course.

I still have no idea about the "cake period"
[close]

selmiak

church signal
Spoiler
baron is on track for the church signal, you already mentioned the solution to that part (I won't tell you which one... yet). When in your life do you get buried?
[close]
cake period
Spoiler
about the cake period. replace it with synonyms, and change these into symbols. Was that too obvious?
[close]

hah, good, that wasn't too easy :)

and if your are feeling adventurous (which I assume), have a stab at this nerdy puzzle. Totally unrelated, but then maybe there is a connection, but not intentional ;)

Mandle

Oh! I think I might have it!

Spoiler
Pixel

Cake= Pi
Period = x (an undefined period of time I suppose?)
You get buried at the end so:
The middle of "bell" = el
[close]

Nice puzzle! And cheers to Baron for getting the main bit. I would never have gotten that.

selmiak

correct :)

Spoiler

the symbolizing is thought to go
cake = pie -> pi (now that I think about it, dropping the e might have needed another clue)
period = times -> x (as in 7 x 7 = 49)
[close]

Mandle

Quote from: selmiak on Sun 17/05/2015 14:57:11
correct :)

Spoiler

the symbolizing is thought to go
cake = pie -> pi (now that I think about it, dropping the e might have needed another clue)
period = times -> x (as in 7 x 7 = 49)
[close]

Maybe something like:
Spoiler
Center of church signal buried by the symbolized cake period (5)

This way it solves the dropping of the e in pie and also points towards using the symbols which I think is probably impossible to guess without the hint you later provided...well, impossible for me anyways (laugh)
[close]

Stupot

I'd never have made the jump from 'period' to 'x'.
Nor would I ever have got out of the hole of thinking that 'el' should be buried between two other items, rather than being at the end.

Baron

Protection without the crucifix and potion, a flowerless fruit, and a lament without the angels (11)

Mandle

I thinking it might be:

Spoiler
Reconfigure

(Some figuring in just a moment)
[close]

Baron

Mandle has solved the first third of the puzzle, but the rest is still shrouded in mystery!

Stupot

Hmm.
Spoiler

Recognition?
Rec, because rec.
Onion (it's not a fruit and it does flower, but it kind if fits)
Git (someone who is not exactly an angel)

Rec-onion-git > recognition
[close]

Mandle

The flowerless fruit:

Spoiler
I thought it might "fig" hence my answer (sorry I never got time back from work to mention my "fig"uring...)
[close]

Wyz

(slightly off topic)
Spoiler
Actually because of your post I spent my morning reading about figs and how they actually do flower; they have what I would like to call inside-out-flowers; fascinating. However no idea; a flowerless plant usually refers to 'fern' or 'algae' in crosswords but that's no help here I'm sure.
[close]
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

Stupot

How about:
Spoiler

Recommended

Rec, because rec.
Om, probably a kind of lament-chant in some tribal cultures.
Men, we are the fruit of our parents, but we don't flower.
Ded, angels are all de[a]d.

(Wow, I just used a cultural stereotype, sexistly referred to all humans as 'men' and possibly upset some people who believe in angels.)
[close]

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot+ on Tue 19/05/2015 14:56:38
Spoiler

Rec, because rec.
[close]

The figuring:
Spoiler
Protection - potion = rect
rect - t (crucifix shape) = rec
[close]

Baron

Yup, Mandle and Stupot+ have the first third.  So....  Protection without the crucifix and potion, a flowerless fruit, and a lament without the angels = rec + x + y, where x and y are still unsolved.

Hintsies time:

Spoiler
What is a flower to a fruit?
[close]

Spoiler
The angles always stick together.
[close]

Mandle

Sorry Baron, didn't need the last hint. Came here with the solution in hand (laugh):

Spoiler
Recruitment

Rec + fruit (-f) + lament (-la)

"flowerless fruit" is just "fruit" without the "f" for "flower"

lament without the angels means minus the LA for Los Angeles (city of angels)
[close]

Baron

Excellent reasoning my friend.

Spoiler
I was thinking flowers are the beginning of a fruit, so a "flowerless fruit" would be a fruit without its beginning, but your reasoning sufficed to solve my little puzzle, so good on you.
[close]

Next! 

Mandle

Quote from: Wyz on Wed 20/05/2015 00:03:29
(slightly off topic)
Spoiler
Actually because of your post I spent my morning reading about figs and how they actually do flower; they have what I would like to call inside-out-flowers; fascinating. However no idea; a flowerless plant usually refers to 'fern' or 'algae' in crosswords but that's no help here I'm sure.
[close]

Hahaha! Very interesting indeed! So a fig only seems to be a "flowerless fruit" eh? I will have to read up on this a bit myself I think.

AGS forums are SO damn educational!!!

Quote from: Baron on Wed 20/05/2015 04:33:49
Excellent reasoning my friend.

Spoiler
I was thinking flowers are the beginning of a fruit, so a "flowerless fruit" would be a fruit without its beginning, but your reasoning sufficed to solve my little puzzle, so good on you.
[close]

Next!

Yeah I went back and read your hints after I posted and realised that I had retro-engineered that part of the puzzle slightly wrong. I solved the "lament" part (which involved such a wonderous feeling leap of insight that makes me wonder how I even realised it and makes me wish I could be that smart 24/7) and then wrote it out on paper with the first part and the end part and a gap in between and realised what the answer was from that...

There was also a nice hidden red-herring in that:
Spoiler
I messed around with "figment" for a while...but there was no way to get "recfigment" to work and that's when I abandoned "fig" and resorted to pen and paper crossword-style solving with the gap in the middle...Then: CLICK!!!
[close]

AWESOME PUZZLE MATE!!!

Hmmmmmm...."Next" ehhhhhhh?! Hmmmmmmmmm...

Mandle

Any man could be out of their prime if they did not first accept the lack of energy which saturates their being. (5) 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk