AGS Cryptic

Started by Wyz, Mon 29/09/2014 19:08:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Wyz

Yes CaptainD, you've got it; well done!! ;D

I'm curious: how did you solve it?
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

CaptainD

Quote from: Wyz on Mon 20/10/2014 01:48:19
Yes CaptainD, you've got it; well done!! ;D

I'm curious: how did you solve it?

This is actually a little embarrassing because I am genuinely dreadful at trying to solve these cryptic clues!

It was really your last hint that started me thinking - what is unique to the AGS community?  Then different bits started coming together...

Den = hideout / place of safety - sanctuary, evil comes AFTER it so presumed it was the start of the word
Salty drink made me think of the sea / ocean - oceanSPIRIT could maybe represent the other side
I wondered if NIS is from NEMESIS somehow?
DIS possibly also from DIScuss (you'll SAY)?

I probably haven't really worked out even half of your clues in all honesty!

Okay, don't know if this clue is any good, but...

Limited metal, then once round with the wooden spoon after failing to show respect  (7,8)

Wyz

Well you worked out some of them and that is enough. :-D

First the "From the other side, evil comes after a sanctuary":
evil refers to sin and from the other side means you have to reverse it: nis.
a sanctuary is indeed a den which comes before the first part: Dennis.

The second hint is a salty drink. Another word for an alcoholic beverage is a spirit. Given that is is salty it is a spritit made from the ocean or: ocean spirit.

Now the entire clue together: When we have an Ocean Spirit, you'll say: Dennis! ;-D

Baron

Quote from: Wyz on Mon 20/10/2014 15:59:48
...and from the other side means you have to reverse it: nis.

Wouldn't the letters be backwards if you saw them from the other side? :P  ;)

QuoteLimited metal, then once round with the wooden spoon after failing to show respect  (7,8)

For some reason I'm thinking nursery rhyme here, like when the dish and the spoon ran away together (disrespectfully eloping).  But once around with the bride is traditionally with her father, I believe, so that got me to thinking about the spoon's progenitors.  It seems to me that a spoon is probably the lineal descendent of a broom handle (for reaching things) and a bucket (for scooping things).  Now a broom handle is very phallic, so it was probably the father figure (and femininity has historically been represented by vessels, thus the bucket is the mother).  But the clue also implies action, i.e. a verb, so the "handle" becomes "handling".

Now, back to the beginning.  Limited metal is clearly an obscure reference to CADAVER, a 1990s death metal band from Norway who famously incorporated as a business.  Thus "Limited metal" is really "metal Ltd." or Cadaver Inc.  Thus my answer is:

Spoiler
Cadaver handling
[close]

Should I just presume that I got it right and post the next one, or wait for CaptainD to verify?

CaptainD

Baron - I have absolutely no idea what you were on about! :grin:

You did get the first two letters of the first word right though.

Stupot

Spoiler
Captain Disaster?
A limit, or a cap. Tin. DISrespect. And something about a spoon :tongue:
[close]

CaptainD

Stupot+ got it!

I hope the clue was kind of okay and you didn't get it just because it's a game I'm working on?!?! :undecided:

Stupot

I got it after you told Baron he'd got the first two letters. Then I went back to check that my he originals clues fit sufficiently :-)

Baron

Since my fearsome reasoning was instrumental in the solution I'm just gonna sidle in here and offer a new cryptic clue. (nod)

No longer not unpulling nails out softly (4,5)

CaptainD

Quote from: Baron on Wed 22/10/2014 02:05:42
No longer not unpulling nails out softly (4,5)

I think my brain just exploded.

Baron

CaptainD

Spoiler
Hard Metal
[close]
?

That's not really a proper phrase, but... I dunno, trying to get the ball rolling. :-D  Hoping I interpreted your triple-negative correctly to some extent, anyway.

Cuiki

What about...

Spoiler
Holy Jesus?
[close]
Hmm..it's kinda steep. But with a sled I can slide down the slope.

Baron

Captain D is almost there (he is actually half correct).

hint:
Spoiler
What are you doing if you are unpulling a nail?
[close]

Mandle

I believe I have it:

Spoiler
Hard Drive
[close]

Wouldn't have gotten it without CaptainD's response though so it's his turn (or someone else if they have one ready)...

Baron

Correct!  It couldn't have been that hard, if CaptainD mostly solved it with an exploded brain. ;)

Next!

CaptainD

Some might say that my brain works better when exploded!

Wyz

Ok, another one to fix the Captain's brains. ;)

Noble but works in a pub. (5)

CaptainD

Spoiler
Hah!  I had been thinking it must have "lord" in it both from noble and working in a pub (landlord), but I think you're being a little sneaky about our Canadian friend...
[close]

I think it's...

Spoiler
Baron!
[close]

Wyz

Yes, indeed I was and your are correct! :-D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk