AGS Cryptic

Started by Wyz, Mon 29/09/2014 19:08:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandle

Damn, I thought I was onto something with:

"Graham Cracker" but it just doesn't fit... ;)

Baron

Some thoughts....

Spoiler
I can't think of an "article" in king, but if you read it as article "inking" then it could refer to a writer or journalist of some kind. 

"Alien stopping ass-type" has me stumped though.  The obvious alien stopper is Ripley, played by Sigourney Weaver.  I was thinking that she might run some sort of donkey sanctuary and have a favourite type, but she appears to be a city-girl through and through. :~(

So.... based on raw word-count and vague reference to someone who write's articles, I'm going to guess critic's lounge.
[close]

Mandle

Quote from: Baron on Mon 22/12/2014 11:59:23
Some thoughts....

Spoiler
I can't think of an "article" in king, but if you read it as article "inking" then it could refer to a writer or journalist of some kind. 

"Alien stopping ass-type" has me stumped though.  The obvious alien stopper is Ripley, played by Sigourney Weaver.  I was thinking that she might run some sort of donkey sanctuary and have a favourite type, but she appears to be a city-girl through and through. :~(

So.... based on raw word-count and vague reference to someone who write's articles, I'm going to guess critic's lounge.
[close]

Spoiler
I also thought of Ripley and donkeys and mules (that sounds weird after I wrote it) but then I thought there is another famous alien stopper by the name of Zak McKracken, but still couldn't get anything to fit right: Zakbum....Bumzak...Butzak...etc

As for king and article: I tried fitting the article "the" into "king" many ways as the letter count matches, but couldn't make anything work there either...
[close]

Stupot

Quote from: Mandle on Mon 22/12/2014 12:46:13
Quote from: Baron on Mon 22/12/2014 11:59:23
Some thoughts....

Spoiler

[close]

Spoiler
I also thought of Ripley and donkeys and mules (that sounds weird after I wrote it) but then I thought there is another famous alien stopper by the name of Zak McKracken, but still couldn't get anything to fit right: Zakbum....Bumzak...Butzak...etc

As for king and article: I tried fitting the article "the" into "king" many ways as the letter count matches, but couldn't make anything work there either...
[close]

Spoiler

I've also been exploring the definite article route but to no avail. I wonder if the alien clue might mean that the sequence ET appears at some point, but that dies to really get us far.
[close]

Andail

I don't want to be some kind of Grinch when it comes to handing out clues, but I think you've come quite far, your thoughts combined.
Spoiler

The only things you don't have yet is the king (a particular one (extra clue: A literary one, not game related and not Christmas related)) and something that goes with ass.
[close]

AnasAbdin

Spoiler
Crimson Wizard?
[close]

Andail

AnasAbdin, your ability to randomly guess stuff out of the blue has failed you this time! :=

Keep guessing, me merry hearties :) (or ask for clues)

Cassiebsg

Spoiler

Docking station would fit, at least as word count go, and for the 1st clue... except it doesn't fit your latest clue. (laugh)
[close]
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

AnasAbdin

But Andail! I was referring to King Crimson (also Crimson is the color of kings clothing). The second clue was only a guess since CW kicks ass in helping us (aliens) here in the forums :-D

Dadalus

ok this fits but I'm not getting the 'aha moment'

Spoiler

king is LEAR
definite article THE

LEARTHE ---> LEATHER

Then I got JACKET (JACKass & ET)

so my answer is LEATHER JACKET

[close]

About 40% of this is from others work. (so you all can share the blame if its wrong :))
This has been a 'Mouse fetishist' approved message.

Andail

Correct! Well reasoned, Dadalus

Dadalus

Aha :-D

60% of me takes a bow :)

Lets try this one MY DOG SOILED A CLUB BUT HES NOT THE ALPHA (8,3)

Hint

Spoiler
The answer is adventure related but not AGS related.
[close]

Stupot

Oh, nice work Dadalus ;-D

CaptainD

Can't quite explain my workings properly but is it
Spoiler
Infinity Bit
[close]
?

Dadalus

Incorrect CaptainD.

I don't like to drag these out so hints.

Spoiler
Its an adventure game from the 80s, successful at the time though obscure now.

I only thought of it because I won a copy of it in a competition a computer magazine ran. You had to design a save routine for a commercial text adventure that didn't have a SAVE command (Sphinx Adventure).

Now get googling!
[close]

Baron

Quote from: Dadalus on Mon 22/12/2014 21:53:52
MY DOG SOILED A CLUB BUT HES NOT THE ALPHA (8,3)

Spoiler
I'm guessing that "not the alpha" means not the first title in the series.  Based on word count and a very fuzzy notion of where the 1980s ended, I'm going to guess Gobliins III
[close]

Dadalus

Sorry Baron as usual your answers zoom over me (I am no Drax :)).

Spoiler
'not the alpha' is not a number, its more like the last word.
[close]

I have just done some searching, and I'm shocked to find you can actually trace my real name (by using my previous hint) if you look hard enough (though trust me its a needle in a haystack so don't try) I only found it cause I remembered my name (after ten minutes :)). Bonus 10 points for this (though PM me please, I prefer to remain anonymous). Though really don't bother as you will end up hating me for it :)

Mandle

I'm guessing that "not the alpha" refers to either:

Spoiler
A letter of the Greek alphabet with 3 letters so: Eta, Rho, Tau, Phi, Chi , Psi...

Or it means "Bet" as in Alphabet minus Alpha.

But I couldn't find any games that fit.

(Usually the opposite of Alpha is Omega but doesn't fit the letter count also)
[close]

Dadalus

Mandle

Spoiler
you are very close (think biblical) and remember its the last word
[close]

Mandle

Quote from: Dadalus on Tue 23/12/2014 03:05:16
Mandle

Spoiler
you are very close (think biblical) and remember its the last word
[close]

Ah so the word is:

Spoiler
End.... So "XXXXXXXX End"...I still can't find it though...
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk