Fortnightly Writing Challenge: SKELETONS IN THE CLOSET - VOTING NOW

Started by TheTelephone, Tue 30/09/2014 19:53:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron

Quote from: Sinitrena on Tue 21/10/2014 15:27:08
The story is not scary.

Well, I thought the idea of an earwax vampire was scary.... ;)

My votes:

Best Character: Sinitrena for Ralluy and her pensiveness.  I was a little sad that she never acted on her convictions, though.  But one does get the sense that she might after the end of the story.
Best Plot: Sinitrena for a suspenseful story of magic and mystery.
Best Atmosphere: Sinitrena for the feeling of merry abandon at the beginning of the story, creepy eeriness in the middle, and depressing hopelessness at the end.  An extra nod for her foggy night descriptions, which really added to the wonder of the march of the skeletons.  I actually mistakenly read her second post first without realising it, and was therefore thrown into a mist-shrouded confusion just as the townsfolk would have woken to: I was a little sad when I reread from the beginning and the chaos and wonder of that part of the story was spoiled by my knowledge of what was actually going on (since I had already read the ending).  (roll)
Best Setting: Sinitrena for pure awesomeness! ;-D  I loved the world back-story, the strange customs (ie "burial" rituals), and the quirks of the magocracy (ie can't have kids, but must adopt those with natural magical talents).  Once again I would have loved to see the world expanded even further, but that would logically take a whole novel.... ;)
Best Word Choice/Style Sinitrena: nothing over the top, but the description of the foggy night stands out in my mind, especially from my first reading. ;)
Most Scary: Sinitrena: Well, the story itself wasn't really terrifying, but the subtle commentary on human nature certainly was.  The seven deadly sins (greed, sloth, wrath, envy, pride, lust & gluttony) are supposedly the root of all evil, but Sinitrena makes a compelling case for fear being the true root.  The seven deadly sins corrupt the morally and ethically weak, but it is through fear that decent people are truly capable of horrific actions, and that is when the whole project of civilization is truly in jeopardy.  Thought provoking stuff.

Good read Sinitrena!  And good luck! ;)

kconan

I'm in the midst of a huge work trip...So I've gots to be brief on the 'splaining.

Best Character: Baron (Dr. Bumbleworth)
Best Plot: Baron
Best Atmosphere: Baron
Best Setting: Sinitrena
Best Word Choice/Style: Baron
Most Scary: Sinitrena

Ponch

Best Character: Sinetrena (Ralluy)
Best Plot: Sinitrena
Best Atmosphere: Sinetrena
Best Setting: Baron
Best Word Choice/Style: Sinetrena
Most Scary: Baron

Baron

Oh c'mon, Ponch!  I barely mentioned the setting, and Sinitrena wove an entire world of magic, politics and revolution!  There's no way my setting beat her setting: you're just doing the opposite of kconan for the sake of keeping this competition tied up like a knot! 

If I didn't know you to be a gold-hearted gentleman, I'd suspect some sort of hidden, anti-category voting agenda behind your machinations, sir!  Notwithstanding my paranoia of counter-revolutionaries lurking behind every fence and barn door, I nevertheless implore you to modify your vote-post to give good Sinitrena her due as a creative writer. :)

Ponch

Quote from: Baron on Thu 23/10/2014 03:14:41
Crazy be-monocled fiend that I am, I accuse you of anti-category voting machinations, sir! I demand that you modify your vote-post to give good Sinitrena her due as a creative writer. :)

I won't yield to your mad ravings, Baron! How dare you even suggest ballot-related tomfoolery on my part? I am shocked, sir! Shocked and appalled! :=

monkey424

I have printed your stories out using company resources and look forward to reading them on my tedious train journey home. :)

monkey424

Sorry for the delay. I read them both today and really liked Baron's story.

Best character: Baron's Colonel Humus, of course!

Best plot / atmosphere / setting: Baron. C'mon, who doesn't love a Poirot-esk whodunit in a spooky mansion with a bunch of dysfunctional characters?

Best Word Choice/Style: Baron

Most Scary: Sinitrena. I'd be scared shitless in skeleton land! In Baron's world I'd probably just join the butler in a drunken giggling session!  :P

Baron

Wow, that was a long train trip....  Where do you live, Siberia? ;)

monkey424

That's typical for Melbourne trains!  (wrong)

And a freak lightning storm yesterday was the final straw that broke the camel's back..
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-27/melbourne-lightning-disrupts-rail-services-sparks-house-fire/5842886

Baron

Ah, stuck for four days on a dead train with only our scary stories for company.  The horror!  The horror! :=

TheTelephone

srry guys, I suffer bouts of alcohilsmm and have trouble sometimes

Baron

That's cool.  Lots of great authors struggled with alcoholism, so you're in good company. ;-D  Or at least you would be, if you were writing.  Which you could be doing if another contest started.  Which would happen if this one ended.  At some point.  (*nudge nudge*) ;)

kconan

So...It was tied, and then Baron received three more votes while Sinitrena received an additional one.  So that would mean...

Sinitrena

Agreed, Baron has won, whether Telephone declares him the winner or not. I think it`s time to start a new round.

Baron

The people have spoken! ;-D  Stay tuned and I'll have the next topic up shortly in the next exciting instalment of...

The Fortnightly Writing Competition!

Adeel

Quote from: Sinitrena on Sun 02/11/2014 07:19:41
I think it`s time to start a new round.

Yes, please. My inner artist is pushing me to write a new story.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk