MAGS October: "Hallowe'en" (Winner Announced)

Started by Atelier, Wed 01/10/2014 21:42:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Atelier

Topic: 'Hallowe'en'

This month's guidelines were set by Stupot:

Trick or treat?

There are spooOOooky goings on in the AGS neighbourhood. All Hallow's Eve is upon us and the creatures of the night are a-stirring. No one can stop the Beast Fiesta. But the skeletons and mummies and witch-zombies and spectres just want to play, that's all. So give them something to play.

The theme for this month's MAGS is Hallowe'en.

There are no rules but the game must be set on Hallowe'en (October 31st).
It doesn't have to be horror as such, but Hallowe'en must inform the plot and/or gameplay.

The deadline is October 30th. Why? Just because I thought it would be a neat idea to bundle them up and release them all together on Hallowe'en.

Ending 31st October

__________________________________________________________________________________________

What is MAGS?

MAGS is a monthly competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, or provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

You may get help for the competition, although you must end up doing something yourself. You should however be warned that it proves difficult to organize a big team within thirty days. You are not allowed to use material already created before this competition. Your game must be completely new! Music and sound is an exception; you can use free material that is available to the public, if you wish. Modules and templates are also allowed.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

âÅ"“ A working download link
âÅ"“ The title of your game
âÅ"“ A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fifteen days. The winner chooses the next month's theme, and their name and game is immortalised in the MAGS Archive. For more information, please visit the Official MAGS website.

Cassiebsg

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mandle

I might bodge something very short together for this one...I think I can't resist the theme!!! But very limited time because of my school's Halloween Party being our biggest event of the year...

LAST YEAR WE DID THIS

...and this year we are getting even MORE ambitious with an "Alice In Wonderland" themed adventure room...

But I have a few ideas...let's see what happens (laugh)

yamipanda

Sounds fun. Does anyone want to collaborate, since I can't draw? (I pushed my artistic talents to the extreme limits with The Case of the Stolen Moustache)
Doing a game together with Ghost. :)

LRH

I actually started working on a Halloween themed game a little over a week ago.  I'm considering entering but it doesn't seem entirely fair. Anyone know the law on this?

Atelier

Sorry, you can't enter with anything that you created, in whole or in part, before the competition started!

LRH

Well, fair enough. I'll release it on its own.

Myshkin

That is a pretty epic party you made there, Mandle. If you can do that and also make a complete game I'll be very impressed :-D

Mandle

Quote from: Emont on Fri 03/10/2014 10:56:28
That is a pretty epic party you made there, Mandle. If you can do that and also make a complete game I'll be very impressed :-D

Well...this next one isn't going to be a "complete" adventure game like last month...More of a stand-alone mini-game, but if what I'm planning is possible I think the community might be able to have some fun with it... And I just got the nod from AprilSkies on coding help, and if a guy that can make a 2D racing arcade-game in AGS can't do it, then noone can... (maybe Khris...but that's kinda like saying "But God can do it...")

I'm figuring about 2 weeks work, on and off...We will see I suppose...And I will need a few testers. Not really heavy-lifting testing like constant game-breaking, bug-spotting (it's not gonna be that complex a project). More of a "test-of-concept" kind of testing, to see if it's actually any fun/practical to use the thing...

miguel

No dude, you have it all wrong, Khris coding skills are pragmatic, exact and reliable, while God would do it in a different way.
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Ghost

Quote from: miguel on Sat 04/10/2014 01:11:18
No dude, you have it all wrong, Khris coding skills are pragmatic, exact and reliable, while God would do it in a different way.

So to get the best of both worlds and the most awesome result:
a) Make Khris code a better God
b) Have God make a downright wacky Khris
c) Splice the results
d) See the release of Tony Hawk's Jedi Knight Guitar Hero: The Point And Click Adventure Game (starring Oceanspirit Dennis)

Mandle

Quote from: Ghost on Sat 04/10/2014 02:38:32
Quote from: miguel on Sat 04/10/2014 01:11:18

So to get the best of both worlds and the most awesome result:
a) Make Khris code a better God
b) Have God make a downright wacky Khris
c) Splice the results
d) See the release of Tony Hawk's Jedi Knight Guitar Hero: The Point And Click Adventure Game (starring Oceanspirit Dennis)

(laugh)(laugh)(laugh)

miguel

Working on a RON game!!!!!

Mandle

Update of progress:

Well, first time your eyes are going to be destroyed by a scene 100% hand drawn by myself:

The project's name is:

T.O.T.S. (Trick Or Treat Simulator)

The actual gameplay is still kinda secret, but home-owners will be able to customize their houses with various Halloween decorations as seen in the above picture...

Now I have to get out my sewing kit and design some costumes for those who decide to arrive at said houses as Trick Or Treaters...

AprilSkies

This is awesome Mandle!
Only now I discover that you're a great pixelator!!!!!!!
and now that you're also able to draw this way, who'll stop you from making games??

www.apemarina.altervista.org

Mandle

Quote from: AprilSkies on Sun 05/10/2014 15:12:28
This is awesome Mandle!
Only now I discover that you're a great pixelator!!!!!!!
and now that you're also able to draw this way, who'll stop you from making games??

NO PIXEL LEFT BEHIND!!!

That's my motto...

Or something...

Cassiebsg

That's a great BG and am looking forward to see what you come up with this time. :)

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

HanaIndiana

Love the background Mandle! BOO!

Adeel

I'm sorry but I won't be entering this month's competition. This theme has been used to death by hundreds of games that now it fails to inspire me. I tried coming up something for this month's MAGS but failed to do so.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk