RoNgyptian [Demo Available - and Music Video]

Started by jwalt, Fri 17/02/2017 20:52:16

Previous topic - Next topic

jwalt

I've decided to tackle another RoN game.

Templeton Tjin will be the predominant player character. He is taking a tour of RoN's defunct Cairo Disco with Maria Scotterson, of Cloudy Day Realty. Meanwhile, back at Tjin's museum... Stay tuned.

Here are two screen shots:

Game will be a combination of RoN 2D assets and my 3D Anim8or models. Although I've gotten some good Critic's Lounge suggestions about making them look better together, I'm not sure I'll make many changes to what I currently have.

Progress is hard to judge. RoN assets mean a lot of the character art is ready made, and I have most of the current background under control. So maybe:

- graphics 60%
- puzzles 10%
- scripting 10%
- music/sound 10%

Edit: Have a Demo of one portion available.

https://www.mediafire.com/?35esb7d4h6h8amc

Ignore the Inventory section of the menu bar, for now. It will handle that on its own. Also, I'm not sure it's isn't breakable, but it has seem well behaved on my attempts at playing it. Not very happy with the Disco Globe at the moment. Have to fix it, one way or another.

There is another section of the game, yet to be made. It covers the stuff happening outside The Cairo Disco.

Edit: Decided to cobble together another Spoons Music Video. Bit bloated, size wise, and Nick Linders is able to be in two places at the same time. Really just wanted to see how a couple of things looked "in game."

http://www.mediafire.com/file/hku1yxjo16qiood/walkRoNgyptian.zip

Cassiebsg

If you keep this up you'll soon be the RON master filmgamemaker of present times! (nod)

Good luck. :-D
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

AnasAbdin

Love the 3D 2D pixel mix!
Hope to try it soon :)

jwalt

Punk Allen doesn't like Disco on general principles, and he really hates the Disco Monkeys. In return, they don't much like him, either.

Not overjoyed with my monkeys, and I don't have their side views, yet, but they may have to do.

Cassiebsg

They fit nicely on with the other game assets. (nod)
Oh, I like the guy's evil grin. :-D

jwalt

Demo is available:

https://www.mediafire.com/?35esb7d4h6h8amc

For now, you can safely ignore the inventory section of the menu bar. I'm also not sure it is unbreakable, but it has seemed stable on my attempts at playing through the game. Shouldn't take very long. Uses Ghost's BASS template, so right click/look and left click/interact. Not happy with the Disco Globe at the moment. Will have to figure out something better.

Chicky

Great to see another RoN game in production jwalt, will be sure to give the demo a go when I get a chance :)

*edit: Had a play through, really liked the dialogue, it felt natural and each character's personality was well delivered. The story was interesting enough to make me want more!

Couple of points:

The exit to the salon from the large disco ball/cashiers desk was a little tricky, with the hotspot interaction getting in the way, I initially didn't think that area was accessible.

Also towards the end the Lighter dialogue option doesn't turn off, meaning you can trigger the robot option twice.

The main character walks quite slow, I would suggest updating the walk speed dependent on which background the character is in.

I really liked the animation at the end! :-D

SilverSpook

The Cairo Disco sounds like a fun place!  Fun art style as well.  I'll be keeping tabs on this!

jwalt

Thanks for the encouraging comments. They always help.

The abandoned disco I tried to model was found via Google Images. Looks to be a fascinating place. Also this, which I had to find a way to get into the game:

@SilverSpook - what I have in mind for the rest of the game relies heavily on RoN background assets, so it will have a different look.

@Chicky - I'll look into fixing the things you mentioned. One was already on my to-do list, but hadn't noticed the dialogue issues.

Cassiebsg

Cool jwalt, another nice interactive movie. Have a feeling you enjoy writing more than puzzling... ;)
I make Chicky's words my own, as I also had trouble with the hotspots, moving out of room (trying to inspect the globe, got me moved into the disco), and finding the exit to the left.

Looking forward to see what more you do here. :)

jwalt

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sun 05/03/2017 21:22:03
Cool jwalt, another nice interactive movie. Have a feeling you enjoy writing more than puzzling... ;)

Made another Spoons Music Video:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/hku1yxjo16qiood/walkRoNgyptian.zip

Wanted to see how some stuff I've been working on looked "in game." A little RoN line dancing, as it were. Pay no attention to there being two Nick Linders in the video.

Hobo

I don't think I've ever seen synchronized dancing in AGS before. Neat stuff! Got a bit repetitive in the end, but sliding around the street with a Korg synth was worth the wait ;-D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk