Neofeud

Started by SilverSpook, Sun 05/10/2014 23:09:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Blondbraid

Quote from: selmiak on Fri 20/11/2015 20:20:08
sweet. Though I'd give his legs one more inbetween frame for the bottom one.
I agree, it looks a bit abrupt. But otherwise it looks awesome, the blue light bathing the scene looks stunning!

Fitz

It's fine. I'm the kind that'll end up 10 unnecessary tween frames for the most insignificant sequence and playing the animation at 40 FPS -- but I'm slowly learning not to obsess about details so much. If it were a walkcycle frame then yes, it might be a little jarring -- at least for a while, eventually you just get used to it -- but for a one-off it doesn't matter so much. Here it looks weird because we see in on loop. Seeing it once, chances are you won't even notice, much less remember that one odd animation five minutes later.

SilverSpook

Thanks Fitz, Blondbraid, and Selmiak for the feedback!

@Fitz: Yeah I know how that goes, I have serious gamedev OCD.  Now that I have a timetable I find it at least a bit easier to short circuit the infinite loop of, "This could be WAY BETTER if X!!!" when it really won't make that much of a difference to the player, especially not for the amount of effort required.  It's easier to think like a producer when you need to, with the Sword of Damocles of that release date over your head. 

This is indeed a one-off anim, although I think I'll need to borrow frames and such for some future animations to save time. 

SilverSpook

I don't want to set the world on fire-

Eat your heart out, Fallout 4. 

Gurok

Wow, that's really nice art! So rusty. Love the transition from brown->blue.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

SilverSpook

Thanks Gurok!  Yes, I was trying hard for that ancient 80's technology look (That phrase makes me feel so old!).  Lots of rust.  The blue I can't explain without spoilers :D

mkennedy

Quote from: SilverSpook on Wed 25/11/2015 10:52:55

The large size of the slot kind of look makes it like an 8 track player.  Adding the guy's hand inserting a cassette though should help establish the actual size.

SilverSpook

There will be a hand doing a lot of point-n-clicking all over it, although it's probable no cassettes will be inserted into the slot, and be thereby harmed by the crusty rusty insides.  This background is based on an actual 80's car radio: the Dolby B Cassette, 12-Station Memory and Auto Reverse.

MiteWiseacreLives!

Maybe because I'm a little older, but it's pretty clear that it's a cassette deck. Looking good SilverSpook!

SilverSpook

Who do you see in this picture?  Perhaps you've already judged her as, "One of those Defective Machines, eating our taxpayer dollars".  A "Cybertrash welfare queen", who is just popping out more machine-mouths to feed, batteries to charge?  We should just throw her into the junk pile, or at the least, call CPS to take her children, right?

Think again.

What you wouldn't know is that Suzette Silica is a hard-working mother of two, a hair dresser in her local favela as well as a freelance machinist.  Married to a robotic ex-Soldier and disabled Syrian War Veteran, Suzette juggles changing radiators and recharging her two beautiful children.  She has another youngster in the second trimester of wetware programming, with launch due-date in October.  They've already picked out decorations for a "Chappie"-themed baby shower.  That bottle isn't a beer -- it's motor oil to keep her and her childrens' joints properly lubricated. 

-Think twice before calling CCPS (Child Cyborg Protective Services) on your robotic neighbor.
-Sentient Humanoid machines are constitutionally denied fifth amendment rights as well as Habeus Corpus. 
-Despite speciesist myths, 90% of all robotic child-removal cases are not due to cigarette burns or other violence towards kids, but "neglect" due to poverty.  96% of sentient machines live at or below the poverty level and are disproportionately more likely to be incarcerated, or simply disappeared without cause.
-Big Cybernetics Corporations use millions of foster robot children in transhumanist experiments each year. 
-Foster Care Kills -- Over ten thousand sentient machine children in foster homes die or are permanently blue-screened due to viral infection, neurological disorder, prolonged battery depletion or a fatal error in their systems.
-Parent Corporations such as Hypetech who created the first sentient machines have lobbied and in some cases bribed the government to remove liability for the millions of fully-conscious artificial intelligences whom they have created, escaping billions of dollars in childcare payments.  Help bring Hypetech to justice by supporting bill CB13830 "Sentient Rights Now".

Remember: these robots are not "things" to be abused for profit.  They are people just like you and me, except in silicon substrate, rather than carbon. 

Like, repost, and share this article with hashtag #RobotLivesMatter to help us fight injustice.  When we hurt one species, we hurt us all!

(paid for by the SRA - Sentient Rights Alliance)

Fitz

Ha! I knew right away she's going to be one bad-ass lady!

I love the amount of detail in this pic. The character aside, I love the little jab at Diesel. But the greatest bits are the references to cinematic dystopiac of the 70's and 80's. Soylent's pretty obvious -- but Cherry 2000 is a bit more obscure title that I bumped into just recently. And I can't make out what's in the other photo.

AnasAbdin

You never stop surprising me with your artwork and ideas ;-D as fitz mentioned the amount of detail is amazing. Even without reading your text, I can tell there's an interesting story behind the character.

SilverSpook

@Fitz & AnasAbdin: Thanks guys!

@Fitz: Nice catches there!  Yep, there is some Cherry 2000 'in the family', Soylent Green...  The other picture remains a secret... :)

@AnasAbdin: I do spend a while on each character!  I blew a weekend and change on this particular one, trying to figure out how to signify the difficult character "Low-income, robotic, ghetto mom" without making her a complete cartoonish caricature, or just a jumble of features as befuddling as a second-rate Picasso painting.  To avoid spoilers, let's just say there is a particularly heart-wrenching scene involving her, and if the player can't take her seriously on an emotional level than the scene will fail at the least, and possibly become a talking point for the Social Justice Warriors at worst.

AnasAbdin

Man this makes me want to see the scene more :~(
I appreciate the time and weekends you spend on your project. Lots of love and time make perfection :)

selmiak

she looks pretty trashy, do you nailed that, pretty cool! ;-D
Will be casting an arm with that form in the background?

SilverSpook

@Selmiak:  Hehe, yeah, "chrome trash" instead of white trash.  :)

And yes, there will be molten metal-alloy pouring involved to create new limbs at some point.  :)

SilverSpook

Support our troops.  #RobotLivesMatter

CaptainD

That's looking very, very, very good.

Blondbraid

It looks great, and the the story of the poor family was very touching. It's great to see a game that deals with complex social issues rather than boil them down to black and white morality choices, and shows poor people as well, people and not slot machines where you can dispense valuables in exchange for good karma points. I'm certain this game will be great! ;-D

AnasAbdin

...aaaand my next Halloween costume is decided (laugh)
lovely work Silver, would love to see a front view to see the chest pendant thingy :P

Edit: ok I just saw it a couple of posts back (laugh)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk