Day of the Tentacle - Remake

Started by Feenyx, Thu 09/10/2014 14:56:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Feenyx

Day of the Tentacle - Remake

The Story:

Just like the classic in 1993, Day of the Tentacle, also known as Maniac Mansion II: Day of the Tentacle, is a graphic adventure game originally developed and published by LucasArts. It is the sequel to the 1987 game Maniac Mansion. Now the graphics are redesigned in Flash and then imported to AGS. This new Remake of the game will allow the player to replay this classic game with much improved graphics and feel nostalgic about it.

The game's plot, as you know it, follows Bernard Bernoulli and his friends Hoagie and Laverne as they attempt to stop the evil Purple Tentacleâ€"a sentient, disembodied tentacleâ€"from taking over the world. The player takes control of the three and solves puzzles while using time travel to explore different periods of history.

Some screenshots:

Development Progress:

Story: 36%
Scripting: 60%
Static Graphics: 92%
Animations: 1%
Sound/Music: 0%

These statistics have been provided by my own conceptions of Excel sheets, that include a list of everything that needs to be done.

Expected completion date: Currently unknown.

Developer's Notes:

As of today, I will need a team to help me complete the project.
I am mostly an artist and used to work for EA mobile and Gameloft in Canada, Quebec, Montreal.
I am currently working on this project alone, since 2012 and progressing at my own paste.
Please, do not hesitate to send me your Profile / Questions / Comments by PM / email.

Development Diary:

October 31, 2014: HAPPY HALLOWEEN!:-D
Been working on some issues regarding mouse commands and background sizes adjustments in AGS.
Also found a scripter and a sound tech to work on the project.
We are still looking for crew members. Please visit our recruiting page at:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=51120.0

October 15, 2014:
Still working on the scripting of a complete walkthrough (36% complete).
Also upgraded AGS to 3.3.0 and made some few adjustments.
Added a complete Main Menu on start up.
And still looking for crew members. Please visit our recruiting page at:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=51120.0

October 9, 2014:
Currently working on the scripting of a complete walkthrough.
Also finishing up all static graphics.
And now looking for a team to help me out with the hole project.

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: Feenyx on Thu 09/10/2014 14:56:43... Now redesigned in Flash, this new Remake of the game ...

So... not made in AGS?

Ahh good!  I really didn't want to have to lock this!  Good luck (nod)

Feenyx

Graphics and animations are made in Flash and then imported into AGS. :smiley:

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Thu 09/10/2014 16:45:02
Quote from: Feenyx on Thu 09/10/2014 14:56:43... Now redesigned in Flash, this new Remake of the game ...

So... not made in AGS?

Ahh good!  I really didn't want to have to lock this!  Good luck (nod)

Thank you very much :wink:

CaptainD

I had been going to comment on this but assumed it would be locked, being a Flash game... which, as it turns out, it isn't! :-D

This looks great.  Are you ONLY updating the aesthetics?  Is it going to be a direct remake otherwise?  Will it contain that hammer puzzle without any hope of less annoyance??!?! :P

Feenyx

Quote from: CaptainD on Thu 09/10/2014 20:18:05
I had been going to comment on this but assumed it would be locked, being a Flash game... which, as it turns out, it isn't! :-D

This looks great.  Are you ONLY updating the aesthetics?  Is it going to be a direct remake otherwise?  Will it contain that hammer puzzle without any hope of less annoyance??!?! :P

Well I AM going for esthetics MOSTLY but I've also switched to Sierra's interface such as a Hand, Mouth, Eye and Feet icons, instead of those tons of useless features such as Push, Pull, Open, Close, etc... I've combined the Use and the Hand tools together as this will simplify the scripting. Nothing has really been decided on that yet as I could always add these after the game's finished. And as I can recall it won't change anything to the game but it is much less trouble for me, since I've been working solo since the beginning.

As for the rest, it will pretty much all be the same or maybe I'll add a different ending since there are no following sequels to the original? And maybe some sort of achievements list? Maybe high scores, too? Any suggestions maybe?

Thanks for your interest, btw! :wink:

Gribbler

LucasArts game with a Sierra interface?? Sacrelige! :)

But it looks great. :D

CaptainD

Achievements could be a nice addition if they're for trying fun, odd things.  (Well... it's Day of the Tentacle so... (laugh))

Not really sure how a high score table would add much to a game like this.  Maybe throw in a few references to other adventure games here and there - just as background objects?  I'm taking it you don't want to make radical changes to the puzzle structure as this would be an enormous amount of work!

Are you planning on getting it voiced?

Feenyx

Quote from: Gribbler on Fri 10/10/2014 09:09:16
LucasArts game with a Sierra interface?? Sacrelige! :)

Hahah. I think you can also call that "Laziness". Since I'm on my own at the moment. :sealed:

Quote from: CaptainD on Fri 10/10/2014 09:41:08
Not really sure how a high score table would add much to a game like this.  Maybe throw in a few references to other adventure games here and there - just as background objects?

I totally agree with you. Adding new features will be the fun part of working on this project. I plan to add quite a lot of new stuff but I would need the approval of a team (which I'm currently looking for). I'll add a short list of suggestions for new features for the game in the forums. Thanks for the idea! :grin:

I'm taking it you don't want to make radical changes to the puzzle structure as this would be an enormous amount of work!

Well, since we don't have any writing to do except for the new features and that we might just use the LucasArts GUIs in AGS, there's not much to be done except for animations which might take a while.
Implementing everything to AGS is tough but since we already know what's going to be done, it is going to be easy to plan.

Are you planning on getting it voiced?

Voice actors and not currently my priority for the moment since I'm not yet aware of which new contents will be added to the original game. But I did send a request for actors that can imitate the characters, just in case.

Monsieur OUXX

That's a good idea. I hope you will complete it.

ThreeOhFour

Woah, ambitious. It looks so much better than the official LucasArts Secret of Monkey Island remake. :=

Gurok

Those screenshots look great, but they have noticeable JPEG artefacting. Would it be possible for you to update the OP with PNG versions?

By the way, I'm really excited for this and as briefly mentioned in another thread, choosing from all six originally planned teenagers if that ever eventuates. DoTT was probably my favourite LucasArts game. :D Good luck with the production.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Feenyx

Quote from: Gurok on Mon 13/10/2014 02:21:11
Those screenshots look great, but they have noticeable JPEG artefacting. Would it be possible for you to update the OP with PNG versions?

Thank you so much for letting me know! I updated them to PNG and even added some different ones.

By the way, thank you very much for all for encouraging me! I am definitely going to keep working hard, thanks to all of you. :cheesy:

Darth Mandarb

The screenshots no longer appear to be "in game" screenshots.

I see no characters (player or NPC), no cursor, no GUI on them...

selmiak

Feenyx

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Mon 13/10/2014 16:55:37
The screenshots no longer appear to be "in game" screenshots.

I see no characters (player or NPC), no cursor, no GUI on them...

There you go, straight from AGS. Sorry about that.

Feenyx

Boooo!

Hello everyone! I am here, today, to announce that my DOTT Remake has been CANCELED (figures)!

Couldn't find myself the courage to complete this remake when I found out that Tim's DOTT Remastered version came out, a while ago (and it looks exactly the same as my remake). So I just wanted to mention that this project has been officially canceled. :(

However, to prevent anymore similar situation from happening again, I've decided to work on a new project that's NOT a remake or whatsoever. The new mysterious project will soon be announced on the forums here on AGS, since we're still using the AGS engine (thank you C.J.) and with Flash graphics and animations. So it'll look just like the DOTT Remake graphics!! (isn't it amazing? (nod) ) Hoping this will get people's attention, since I've received such great comments about the graphics on DOTT Remake...

Thanks AGS people! :-D

-Feenyx

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk