Use of dithering and profile

Started by Weston_Kaunk, Thu 16/10/2014 20:40:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Weston_Kaunk

I'm considering having profiles for dialogue scenes, when I find more time I'll bring up more examples, but I did this one as a kind of sampler. I'm thinking on having things colored like how graphic novels are commonly inked, with dithering to add layers of depth. Sort of like those old colored photos, but more-so like those old movie posters.

(sorry for the large photos)
I know these aren't perfect examples, but the idea of first having the images in black and white (make it easier for me to figure out the shading) and then using a fill color technique, high contrast rich kind of colors.
I want to use this dithering and a small high-contrast color scale to set a hardboiled, noir, 20's murder mystery kind of feel.

Here's the piece I ended up with.

with reference picture here

Given it'll take me a lot longer to create a character than to just remake a face. But how do you guys feel about this concept and kind of 'realism'? I'm worried about falling into that uncanny valley. I'd put up a colored version so you guys could see how it looks... but I haven't figured out pixel studio enough yet. Like I can't find out how to add colors yet. If anyone knows how. please
tldr: I say too much
http://westonkaunk.itch.io/

Snarky

As a graphic style, sure. It's hard to comment on colors when the sample is black and white. (For this example, maybe have another go at the left eye?)

Using famous people as your photo references might be a bit distracting. On the other hand, Wittgenstein did love Hollywood movies, so having him in a hardboiled murder mystery might be appropriate.

Monsieur OUXX

Considering how talented you look, if you're asking for "do you think the final result will look weird?", then the answer is: "no, it won't look weird, it will rock".
Having said that, the dithering in the Frankenstein picture is sort of missing the point, because it's almost invisible since the resolution is very high.
Some time ago I posted the link to some dithering plugins for Photoshop: Quantizer and Color Dither. They're not free, unfortunately, but you can toy around, testing several error dispersion methods and values.

Regarding hte B&W low-res sprite, yes, I'd like to see a colored version, to be sure of what you mean. I'm not sure how you plan on "adding depth" with dithering, because it seems to me that, at such a low resolution, it's just plain old dithering.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk