Your opnion: an Editor plugin for an external graphics folder

Started by Monsieur OUXX, Tue 21/10/2014 13:24:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Monsieur OUXX

I'm thinking of something for our very own project. My idea fits right in for our project's scale, and is simple to implement BUT still I think it's better to listen to every AGSer's opinion before I do it. Maybe someone has a much better idea.

- our graphics is on a versioned repository (Dropbox at the moment, but could be anything), sync'ed to a local folder on each of our hard drives (C:\Dropbox or whatever)
    - we do bulk import of sprites for animations.
    - if the animation needs to be changed, we re-export the sprites in bulk from the painting program,...
    - ...then inside AGS we do "re-import from source".

As you know, the thing with AGS sprites is that AGS stores an absolute path to them.
To make sure there would be no mistakes with the path, we created a folder "X:", using either Network folders, or a subst command. That folder actually points to the Dropbox folder (C:\Dropbox or whatever) This way the path is the same on every contributor's computer, and he doesn't mess up our sprites directories structure when importing his own sprites. When we import or reimport sprites, it's always from X:\something

I'm now thinking of implementing a small Editor plugin that would check if drive X: exists before importing sprites. If not, it would reconnect it, using the path to the Dropbox folder. This is to make sure that none of the team members imports sprites from some random, unsync'ed location.

What says you?

AprilSkies

Some days ago I was thinking that'd be great to have something like that!
So... if you're going to do it, it'd be UBER!

www.apemarina.altervista.org

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk