T.O.T.S: Trick-Or-Treat Simulator (MAGS October 2014)

Started by Mandle, Thu 30/10/2014 01:54:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandle

T.O.T.S: Trick-Or-Treat Simulator

This game was created for the October 2014 MAGS Contest. The theme of the contest was "Halloween".

My little effort is an attempt at a 2-player simulation of a child Trick-Or-Treating on Halloween. By 2-player I mean that two people participate in the game over the internet. However, the game is turn-based, not real-time, and no direct net connection to each other, or file-swapping is needed.

The data is transferred via a file in the game folder called "Halloween.txt". Just open the file, select-all, copy, and send the text to another player via PM etc, or simply post it on the forums as an open invitation to play, as I will do below. The second player then copies this text and pastes it into their own Halloween.txt file in their own game folder, starts the game, and selects the "Continue" option.

Players can decorate their houses for Halloween, mix-and-match pieces of Halloween costumes to dress up in, talk with each other in-game, slam doors in faces, give treats, play tricks etc!!!

Here are some screenies:

The above shot shows Player 2 selecting their costume.

Here's a shot of Player 2 announcing their presence.

Player 1 has opened the door here and is saying something to Player 2.

FEATURES:

* Spooky Halloween atmosphere. (I hope)
* Nice creepy music by JasonB!
* Customizable Halloween house decorating!!
* Customizable Halloween costume making!!
* Tricks!!!
* Treats!!!
* Two-player play without using a net-link or file-swapping!

KNOWN ISSUES:

* Currently legal characters usable in player names and messages are:
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz !+$%&'()=;:,.?0123456789-

IMPORTANT: The + and ? characters were NOT available in the original download when the game was released so please re-download the newer version at the same link.

If you use characters that are not on this list the game data in the Halloween.txt file will become corrupted. The game is still playable but house decorations, costumes, and player names will all go out-of-whack. I will code a fix for this oversight but it's quite a big job so will have to wait. As long as you stick to these basic characters and punctuation for now the game should be fine.

* Previous issues with long player messages containing typos have been fixed in the latest version.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

Mandle

Oh....and here's my house open for any Trick-Or-Treaters who would like to stop by:

A*DM**g**a*n**d****r***d***l****e**b*R****VT****F***N**********************y**Ua****V***u**K******U***************************************************

Just copy/paste that over the data already in the Halloween.txt file in your game folder, start the game, hit Continue, and follow the in-game instructions to visit me! Feel free to PM me your data after you get into costume and I will open the door for you and maybe we can have a little chat and you might get some yummy treats too!

(It's a good idea to set font size to 6 or so or that line of data really stretches the forums screen out)

miguel

Working on a RON game!!!!!

Mandle

Quote from: miguel on Thu 30/10/2014 11:42:03
Congrats Mandle! You're a machine dude!

Hahaha hardly...This one was almost easy compared with getting Speed Buggy out on time last month. That project took literally 100% of any spare moment I had at hand at any friggin' time of day or night.

This one was more a part-time dealie, which I sorely regretted yesterday and this morning when I had much more left to do than I realized and was scrambling to get it released...

Now...where's yours???

* Mandle pants in anticipation!

miguel

QuoteNow...where's yours???
I'll get it on time, don't you worry.
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Stupot

Congrats Mandle. I won't get a chance to play any games this weekend but one night next week will be my Halloween MAGS night. :-)

Cassiebsg

Congrats on the release Mandle! :)

My house for those who want to knock on it.
A*vC**M**a*s**p****q***s***i****e**y*b***bVd****f*s*W****g*****************e**fB****h***H**m******R***************************************************

EDIT:
Will the deluxe version include a "make your custom costume kit?" :) Maybe with a skin in a png, that the game can read... then we can send the txt and a png... (laugh)(roll)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mandle

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Fri 31/10/2014 14:58:16
EDIT:
Will the deluxe version include a "make your custom costume kit?" :) Maybe with a skin in a png, that the game can read... then we can send the txt and a png... (laugh)(roll)

YES!!! It will also include full first-person-view 3D rendering, compatibility on the PS7, and an automatic sending of real treats to the other player via an eBay debit system (or a package of rotten eggs)... :-D

Hehe...jokes aside...The deluxe version (and I basically have a whole year to get it ready eh? I mean...who wants to play a Trick-Or-Treat Simulator in March?) will include:

* MORE house decorations ( still need a black cat, a hanged man, a jolly-roger flag, tintable decorations, etc etc...)

* MORE costume choices (I'm still missing Frankenstein, The Mummy, Pirate, Princess, Fairy, Walter White, etc etc...)

* A better encoding system for data so you can't read/guess what the person did/said before putting the data into the game (this was intended in this version but I couldn't get it working properly on time)

* A choice of Treats to give (candy, chocolate, candy-apple, gummies etc etc...) (also intended but no time)

* A choice of Tricks to pull (soap windows, smash pumpkin, steal a decoration, dog-poop in burning bag etc etc) (intended but no time)

* The ability to speak a message at the same time you make your closing move (e.g: Give Treat AND say "Here you are little guy!") (intended but couldn't get working in time)

* Animated events (intended but no time)

The list goes on...

AprilSkies

\o/

Wonderful!!!!

Congratz for the release, mate.

This game is sooo cool! A very nice idea!!!

If someone wants to see my house: A*mA**J**p*r**P****S***i***l****S**J*d***kvk****K*i*F****e******s**********f**Xt****R***p**B******m***************************************************

www.apemarina.altervista.org

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk