My boss is a wanker

Started by monkey424, Thu 30/10/2014 12:04:33

Previous topic - Next topic

monkey424

Blast! Where's that moving thread when you need it? I need to vent! >:(

I'm venting here!

I got an email from the boss today questioning time I've spent on a recent project. After writing two furious replies (that I didn't send), I finally replied with a sensible breakdown of the work I believe I have done to date, ending with a humble apology (for apparent stroppiness I displayed sometime earlier). The exact work-hour details are recorded on our timesheet database, which he has access to. He has obviously just looked at my total hours without checking the detail. The hours make sense to me, I don't believe there is anything too out of the ordinary.

I've worked with this guy for many years now, and he is the most frustrating and bizarre character to work with. He is very knowledgeable, and I have great respect for him in that regard, but he is also highly disorganised and likes to blame everyone else when often he should really take responsibility himself. Most project managers are easy and pleasant to work with, but this guy is a real piece of work!

Dear AGSers, please indulge me with your stories of horrible bosses. Or nice bosses.

Or, if you are a manager yourself, please share your twisted view of the world. How did you become such a wanker?

Adeel

I thought you were going to share the story of your boss masturbating in front of you (roll) :

What to do when your boss starts masturbating at work

Retro Wolf

The first job I ever had was at one of those big shops that sells cheap crap.
I was always criticised for not working hard enough, so I got into this mindset that my work was never good enough no matter how hard I tried.
I was subjected to a lot of verbal abuse, i've been called f**king useless, a c*nt, and more. I lost a lot of weight.
It was only after my second job that I realised that they were wrong, I was always being told to slow down in my second job.

I was young then and didn't know any better, I'm a lot more confident now.

straydogstrut

Quote from: monkey424 on Thu 30/10/2014 12:04:33
After writing two furious replies (that I didn't send), I finally replied with a sensible breakdown of the work I believe I have done to date
That's the best piece of advice I could give to anyone who uses email at work. There's always a great temptation to respond quickly to any email - especially the ones that ruffle your feathers - but you won't do yourself any favours. Definitely go for a walk to clear your head first.

Quote from: monkey424 on Thu 30/10/2014 12:04:33
Dear AGSers, please indulge me with your stories of horrible bosses. Or nice bosses.
I've been very lucky with the bosses i've had: they were either very hands off - trusting me to get the job done - or very approachable. Of course there have been one or two that I didn't gel with, and i've seen my share of bullying from those in authority, but thankfully not directly (although that can be just as frustrating). Thankfully i'm in a happier place now and relatively unscathed.

My most recent boss is amazing, to put it mildly. For starters he's a very interesting and knowledgeable guy and we have a lot of the same interests, which always helps, but he's also not afraid to get his hands dirty and will always make time for people. It never feels like he's up in a lofty tower in some rigid hierarchy. He also thinks very logically and will regularly work through problems with the team, brainstorming and throwing ideas around. I'm one of the lucky ones.

Mouth for war

I'm very lucky...My current boss is a very close friend of mine. Those who knows him all say the same "He's the nicest guy on the planet" 
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Cassiebsg

Well, my current Boss is an idiot too.
He now means we should work every saturday too (that's 6 days a week!) and that in the winter we work 30 hours instead of the current 37, and then owe the company 7 hours, that we must then work in the summer... if this is what it'll end up, then I'm soon unemployed, as I refuse this! :angry:

Need to start looking for a new job again. :-\
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Anian

General director told us yesterday morning (not earlier so we can make plans) that working day is shorter (because Saturday is All saints day and is a holiday of sorts) and we were working till 2 pm and not the usual 4 pm (even though I can't remember the last time I left work even close to that either).
Problem is yesterday was a deadline for some materials to go to print (and thus could not be rescheduled), but that didn't stop people in charge of giving us new spreadsheets with vital info for printed materials to leave at 2 pm (including the general director), while me and a college were working till 7 pm, including stuff they were supposed to do and pulling information from old spreadsheets.

So on Monday, we'll receive the test prints from the printers and instead of checking for any color and image setting problems, we will spend the whole day correcting info that we might have written incorrectky, because we used information that was changed or because we didn't have time to double check the numbers. And this correcting part I am certain will happen because some prices etc. were not approved (people who do this went home as well at 2pm) and similar things happened before. Not only that, my department will also be to blame if something is wrong, because we're the last link in the chain.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Baron

The very sad fact of the matter is that I'm not exactly sure who my boss is.  He might very well be a wanker, but he's an aloof and remote wanker at least.  I'd say he's a very hands-off wanker, but the mental contortions required to wrap your head around that one are not recommended for people who really would rather not know. (roll)

Gribbler

I always had a luck for bosses. Parafia, the author of The Bum's art, had been my boss for 6 years. And now I am my own boss. Happy days! :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk