Some works with pixels (and testing 3d) | :) (update 06: New work[18-01-2015])

Started by aikex222, Mon 03/11/2014 15:45:39

Previous topic - Next topic

aikex222

Quote from: Mandle on Sun 09/11/2014 12:39:35
Absolutely beautiful!!!

if it wasn't for tips of Darth Mandarb i guess i would never remember to put contrast when the thunder appears

Wicked

the last picture of one frame has the front totally blacked out when the lightning strikes, when the shadow is cast  think about what is proturding and not flat and then allocate what you feel should cast lighter shadows on.

Lasca

I might be wrong here, but I actually find the reworked gifs a little strange. I do agree about adding more contrast, but the blackness when the lightning strikes does feel a little odd. I could be a little tired in my thinking, but the darkness doesn't get darker when you add light, does it? My point being - if you want that kind of contrast and "blackness" when the lightning strikes, you have to have the same blackness when the lightning isn't striking. Or atleast I think that the way it should be. Am I making any sense?
Otherwise your images look really great! Love the designs and colours!

Adeel

Quote from: Lasca on Sun 09/11/2014 23:16:36
I might be wrong here, but I actually find the reworked gifs a little strange. I do agree about adding more contrast, but the blackness when the lightning strikes does feel a little odd. I could be a little tired in my thinking, but the darkness doesn't get darker when you add light, does it? My point being - if you want that kind of contrast and "blackness" when the lightning strikes, you have to have the same blackness when the lightning isn't striking. Or atleast I think that the way it should be. Am I making any sense?

You're not alone, Lasca. When I saw the the reworked gifs, I couldn't help but feel the same thing.

Darth Mandarb

When lightning flashes the area that receives the light suddenly gets a LOT more light than it previously had.  This causes the areas that don't receive the light (from the lightning) to appear much darker than they had before the lightning flashed.  A good example of this would be to hold an object in front of a window that has direct sunlight, but has the blinds drawn, in a room with the light on.  The ambient light (in the room) will make the object visible but if you open the blinds that object will appear black/silhouetted by the much brighter light source from behind even though it's lit from the light in the room.  It's not that it suddenly lacks the ambient light, just that the much brighter light source drowns it out.  It's probably a tad over-done (for dramatic effect) in movies/tv/games but the principle is the same.

Snarky

True, but I also agree with the view that the non-lit frames would benefit from being darker (and a bit higher contrast). They currently look a bit washed out and not really night-timey.

In an animated screen, you don't have to show the whole thing in every frame: the whole sequence works together. So, for example, it would be perfectly fine to leave the castle as a black silhouette (with light coming from the window) in the "dark" frames, and only show it in detail when there's a lightning flash.

aikex222

Spoiler
Quote from: Snarky on Mon 10/11/2014 08:55:09
True, but I also agree with the view that the non-lit frames would benefit from being darker (and a bit higher contrast). They currently look a bit washed out and not really night-timey.

In an animated screen, you don't have to show the whole thing in every frame: the whole sequence works together. So, for example, it would be perfectly fine to leave the castle as a black silhouette (with light coming from the window) in the "dark" frames, and only show it in detail when there's a lightning flash.
[close]

I'll test that out when back from school

Denture Alley Lurker

Some animators put a completely black frame followed by a b/w frame with the lightning and the highlights it causes. In away to prepare your sight for  the contrast change the lightning makes. I made one quick and dirty, to try to simulate their point, in JASC Animation Shop. It needs some adjustments of individual frames display times.
[imgzoom]http://www.mediafire.com/view/7cmzg8e4rj86gek/Animation2.gif[/imgzoom]
Hopefully the image link shows up.:(

Monsieur OUXX

Additional critique to darth Mandarb's one; regarding the castle shading when the lighting strikes: The castle should actually be almost all black since the lightning falls behind it. That's less work for you.

Wicked

I wanna make a comment where maybe it would look would be the moutain and the house would be dark until the lightning strikes  have a longer lighting flash and it reveals a part of the house  then back to dark

aikex222

Quote from: Horrorfiend on Sat 22/11/2014 02:50:05
I wanna make a comment where maybe it would look would be the moutain and the house would be dark until the lightning strikes  have a longer lighting flash and it reveals a part of the house  then back to dark
did that just now xD

Update 03 - 22 November 2014
    - House on the mountain updated;
    - Add a new pixel art;
    - Add WIP.

AprilSkies

www.apemarina.altervista.org

Monsieur OUXX

That's really nice. I likes. Now hurry up and make an awesome game with that awesome set!

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

If you want the lightning flashes to look better, instead of doing on/off flash effects, have it light up and then quickly darken back to the original.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens on Sun 23/11/2014 23:34:59
instead of doing on/off flash effects, have it light up and then quickly darken back to the original.

Out of curiosity: I don't understand what you mean. Some progressive fading?

aikex222

Update 04 - 30 November 2014
    - ADD 2 new WIP (Need help to choose which one use xD)

and if someone could tell me how i create a poll would be fantastic :embarrassed:

Cassiebsg

Which hat do you prefer ???

I like the first one better, unless you're placing your game in England, than the second would be more fitted. ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

aikex222

thanks for the opinion.
Well i didn't think on the location, since is going to happen all in a restaurant :-\

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk