Rogue State - NOW ON STEAM!

Started by KodiakBehr, Mon 10/11/2014 23:47:59

Previous topic - Next topic

KodiakBehr

This week, we're showing off a new faction: the Patriots.

Basenji's patriots believe strongly in keeping Basenji for its people. They are supportive of protecting the national identity, the environment, taking a strong stand against any form of international pressure, and on having a robust military to defend against threats against Basenji's sovereignty.

Patriots will be opposed to globalization and absolutely no patience for civil unrest.

They're going to respond favourably to visitor screening, wildlife preserves, supporting athletes, relaxed gun control, military technology research, strong leadership, festivals, parades and displays of national pride. Keeping them happy will be necessary or you may find yourself branded a puppet of the West.

CaptainD

You know what I love most about this game?  You've shown us 6 characters in the game, half of them female, and the female characters are not even remotely sexually objectified, they're simply there as important characters in the game.  That is so refreshing!

Lasca

Quote from: CaptainD on Sun 28/12/2014 20:19:16
You know what I love most about this game?  You've shown us 6 characters in the game, half of them female, and the female characters are not even remotely sexually objectified, they're simply there as important characters in the game.  That is so refreshing!

Yes! I've thought the same thing. Let's make 2015 the year when we break apart all destructive game stereotypes!

CaptainD

Quote from: Lasca on Mon 29/12/2014 07:26:05
Yes! I've thought the same thing. Let's make 2015 the year when we break apart all destructive game stereotypes!

Including portraying all adventure game characters as raging kleptomaniacs! :-D  Well... maybe not that one.

KodiakBehr

Another week, another new faction!

The Old Ways are the official state religion of the People's Republic of Basenji.  Eighty-five percent of your citizens follow the tenements of the Old Ways to some degree, but your Fundamentalists take the most rigid and literal interpretations of their revered religious texts.  As the world changes around them, they trust that you will continue to incorporate faith into your decisions and do your best to limit the corruption of our values through vice and consumption.  Some fundamentalist practices have raised concerns with the international community, drawing unwelcome attention to Basenji, but fundamentalists are a sizable enough portion of your population that you must balance their interests carefully.

Basenji's fundamentalists are difficult to please.  They will approve of measures that promote agriculture, religious education, faith councils, prohibition, and isolationism.  They will bristle at any attempts to distance yourself from the Old Ways, and actions that promote urbanization or permit foreign proselytizing will drive their support towards your rivals.

Adeel

Why do I get the feeling that this game is quite influenced from Muslim countries, especially Pakistan? :-D

selmiak

because terrorists like you are the target audience for this game adeel :-D

The game and info is looking very interesting btw!

KodiakBehr

Quote from: Adeel S. Ahmed on Tue 06/01/2015 14:27:30
Why do I get the feeling that this game is quite influenced from Muslim countries, especially Pakistan? :-D
Well, Basenji is a fictional Gulf State, and therefore borrows aesthetic and political facets from Bahrain, Saudi Arabia and the UAE.  The regional pressures and current events allude to something more like Pakistan or Iran.  Note that while Basenji is a dictatorship, it may not necessarily be a malevolent one.  That's really up to you!

We felt that ignoring the role of religion in statecraft, particularly in the Middle East, would do a disservice to the region.  That being said, we did not want this game to devolve into a criticism of any given faith, so we decided to invent a religion that felt ambiguous but familiar.  It's important to your people and it tells people how to live their lives, so it cannot be ignored...and sometimes it is a source of good, while other times it is manipulated for evil.

KodiakBehr

And now the last of the four factions of Basenji -- the Liberals.

Liberals believe that Basenji should strive towards equality and tolerance for all.  They support actions which alleviate social ills, protect civil liberties and promote both individual and human rights.  Keeping them happy will not be cheap.  They desire improvements to health and education, and government regulation in the marketplace in order to keep private interests from exploiting this country.  They will be supportive of a high minimum wage, maternity leave and social security.  They will oppose the use of the military to accomplish your foreign policy objectives.

Thank you all who have been following these reveals.  We're really proud of what we've been working on here, and the positive feedback has been terrific motivation. 

Gurok

"They will be supportive of measures that limit the government's ability to control the people"
and yet
"They desire ... government regulation"

What kind of liberals are these? :D
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

KodiakBehr

You're right, that was poorly written.  Made a quick edit!

Gurok

Ah yes, it's now pretty clear what kind of liberals they are (wet). I've loved all of your updates about the game so far, by the way. Keep them coming!
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

KodiakBehr

GRAPHICAL UPDATE!

It's been five months, but we've gone from this...

to this...

ThreeOhFour

This is looking very interesting, I like a lot of the ideas here, and the artworks is phenomenal. Good work! :)

AnasAbdin

Both screenshots are beautiful with their own style. I really love the different designs on the floor in the seconds one. The second one needs a little work on the edges of objects and constructions, also the photo hanged on the left wall needs a little polishing IMO but everything else is amazing. Great work guys 8-)

I liked the improvements, I know it's not only limited to the graphics. I can FEEL the improvements in other aspects of this game. I know it's hard to express them to us but I'm sure you guys are doing a great job and I can't wait to see this game in action and please with speech!

Problem

Yes, some of the objects (painting, vase etc.) have not been updated yet. But the background + 3D characters are more or less the final, so this is what the game will look like.

shaun9991

Wow, this is shaping up really nice. The new background is slick! Reminds me of Broken Sword :)
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

CaptainD

The new screenshot is fantastic!

selmiak

Now this looks pretty pretty.
The characters look a bit stiff though, as if they were 3dmodelled characters in a computergame (roll) :-D

CaptainD

Quote from: selmiak on Thu 29/01/2015 14:13:26
The characters look a bit stiff though, as if they were 3dmodelled characters in a computergame (roll) :-D

Don't be daft, they're just standing to attention. :P

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk